Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The one star we're going to get is the guy who isn't that great and is coming off a devastating injury.

Idk why youre pretty sour on cousins...yeah he is coming off an injury but i recall you really supporting the idea of cousins and touting his prowess good year maybe year and half ago. He is a really good center and best one we would have since i was born. Maybs since you were born. The question is will he be the same? 

23 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Idk why youre pretty sour on cousins...yeah he is coming off an injury but i recall you really supporting the idea of cousins and touting his prowess good year maybe year and half ago. He is a really good center and best one we would have since i was born. Maybs since you were born. The question is will he be the same? 

Cousins is overrated because he's a volume scorer.  But he's very inefficient.  He takes a lot of bad shots and turns it over at an insane rate.  5 turnovers a game from your center is back breaking.

He doesn't fit in with an modern NBA offense that works from the outside in.  He tries to do too much and he's just not a good playmaker or shot creator but he uses possessions like he's LeBron.  You don't need that from a center any more.  You need someone whose main job is playing defense and rebounding, and on offense all they really need to be doing is catching and finishing and passing out of any doubles.  Cousins tries to do way too much and he has a lot of bad habits.  There is a reason New Orleans got better and more modern when they replaced Cousins with Mirotic.

If we get Cousins, I wouldn't want him to be the same player he was in New Orleans and Sacramento.  That player is a loser.  I'd want him to completely change his offensive game to just be a guy who sets up deep and catches entry passes into the paint and finishes or runs pick and rolls/pops.  I'd want him to commit himself to playing defense and rebounding.  That's how you get him to play winning basketball.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, why not take a chance?

To me Cousins represents the past.  The last couple of seasons have driven home the fact that much more limited players like Drummond, Capela, and Gobert are the prototype centers today.  They have no offensive skill but they play winning basketball.  A good offense doesn't want the ball sticking in their center's hands any more. My fear is that we won't improve at all with Cousins, that sacrificing Porter for him could actually be a setback, that he'll have injury issues, and that his contract will force us down the same road we just got off of with Gortat.

Cousins is a quality player, but never seems to make the team around him better. Could that change with John? Possibly, as they’re close, and Boogie may be okay deferring to John, but it’s a crap shoot, along with injury concerns.

IMO, if they could get Noel on the cheap, that would be a more positive addition, especially cap-wise. Noel is much younger, and the athletic rim protector and court runner that I think would complement Ian. Just my 2P.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Cousins is a quality player, but never seems to make the team around him better. Could that change with John? Possibly, as they’re close, and Boogie may be okay deferring to John, but it’s a crap shoot, along with injury concerns.

IMO, if they could get Noel on the cheap, that would be a more positive addition, especially cap-wise. Noel is much younger, and the athletic rim protector and court runner that I think would complement Ian. Just my 2P.

I've liked Noel's game since that 2013 draft, but there have been a lot of rumblings about him having character issues over the years.  I know Colangelo isn't the most trustworthy source, but he called Noel a vulture and Noel fell out of favor in both Philly and Dallas for some reason.  I also once read an article where a landlord in Philly who rented a house to Noel said that he was a nightmare tenant and left it covered in weed and feces.

I don't really know what to make of him.  You'd think someone with his defensive talent would have caught on, but I suspect people just don't like him.  I know, I know, a lot of people would say the same about Cousins.  But there are also a lot of people that seem to stick up for Cousins's character and love him, like John and Coach Calipari.  My read is that he's hot headed and childish, but not a scumbag.  Calipari said he was a really sweet kid and I get the sense that he's very "real" like John and Brad, and that he would probably fit into our locker room culture pretty well.  And he's been able to hold down a starting job in the NBA a lot better than Noel has.

If it were a choice between the two, I would rather have DeMacus than Noel.  I know I said I don't trust Cousins, but I would actually trust him more than Noel.  Despite everything, Cousins is the cleaner option IMO.

That said, if we can't get Cousins, then I'd go after Noel and hope for the best.  Gamble on the talent.  He plays hard on the court even if he has issues off of it.  We don't really have many good options.

I guess I'd also kick the tires on Jusuf Nurkic and see if the Lakers would trade Ivica Zubac.  Zubac fell out of the rotation last season, so he might be available for fairly cheap.  His contract is tiny too.  If you get him and find a way to deal Jason Smith, then we'd only be committing about 18 million to the center position.  If Zubac progresses, then you could extend him and find a way to deal Mahinmi down the line.

I’m all for trying to get Cousins. We already know this core of Wall Beal and Porter isn’t going to get past the East finals on a great year. Let’s shake it up and try something new. Get Cousins and if it doesn’t work? **** it, the way we’re doing it now isn’t going to work either. 

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I guess I'd also kick the tires on Jusuf Nurkic and see if the Lakers would trade Ivica Zubac.  Zubac fell out of the rotation last season, so he might be available for fairly cheap.  His contract is tiny too.  If you get him and find a way to deal Jason Smith, then we'd only be committing about 18 million to the center position.  If Zubac progresses, then you could extend him and find a way to deal Mahinmi down the line.

I would not be opposed to either of those options. Something HAS to be done.

Cousins was a volume scorer by NECESSITY in Sacto.  Him and AD were doing work together....what was he putting up as a 5?  Something like 25/13/5?  But he wouldn't be a good fit here?  WHAT??!!  I get the reservations due to the injury he's coming off of, but this guy, when healthy, is one of the 3-5 best in the league at the center position and probably top 15-20 overall.  Also, how is he not adapting to the current landscape of the league when he's a center who can not only pass like a guard, but has the ability to shoot the 3 as well?  That spacing does nothing but make life easier for both Wall and Beal.  A trio of him, Wall, and Beal SHOULD get these guys an actual legit chance to be a 50 win team.  EG has work to do to fill out the rest of the roster, but this is the exact 3rd star that the team needs.

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Cousins was a volume scorer by NECESSITY in Sacto.  Him and AD were doing work together....what was he putting up as a 5?  Something like 25/13/5?  But he wouldn't be a good fit here?  WHAT??!!  I get the reservations due to the injury he's coming off of, but this guy, when healthy, is one of the 3-5 best in the league at the center position and probably top 15-20 overall.  Also, how is he not adapting to the current landscape of the league when he's a center who can not only pass like a guard, but has the ability to shoot the 3 as well?  That spacing does nothing but make life easier for both Wall and Beal.  A trio of him, Wall, and Beal SHOULD get these guys an actual legit chance to be a 50 win team.  EG has work to do to fill out the rest of the roster, but this is the exact 3rd star that the team needs.

He's got a 32% usage rating and an ORtg of 104.  That is lousy for a center.  He's not a good passer.  He's willing, and sometimes he makes a spectacular one, but 5 assists against 5 turnovers a game is lousy.  Marc Gasol and Joakim Noah were good passers.  Cousins is a center, his assist/turnover ration should be 2 or better, like their's were.  Otherwise he's actually hurting you by trying to do too much.

And you don't need a five who shoots threes, especially since Cousins isn't a great three point shooter.  You don't need a fifth guy on the perimeter when you've got shooters at 1-4.  You can't even space a floor with five on the three point line.  In today's league, you're better off having a guy like Capela operating in the paint and shooting nothing but bunnies and shooting 60% rather than a three point shooting big who shoots 47%.

Cousins does a lot of positive things.  He can be a tough rim protector when he's dialed in.  He's a great rebounder.  And he is excellent at getting to the FT line and he shoots a good percentage from it.  I agree that he could probably get us to 50 wins, but that's a one win improvement from the year Wall was healthy.  That's marginal improvement.

I can't agree that Cousins is one of the three to five best centers in the NBA.  I would rather have Davis, Gobert, Capela, Drummond, and Jokic.  I think those guys are easier to win with because they're so much more efficient, and Capela, Drummond, and Gobert are awesome defensive players.

18 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Interesting... Very interesting.
(This has nothing to do with Beal. I hope no one takes it that way.)

I heard about this last night.  I'm not sure I like John playing GM.  It's symptomatic of a dysfunctional organization and highlights the weakness of our FO.

But I also acknowledge that John probably saw something that he knows we need in Rivers.

And honestly... John picking our back up PGs can't be worse than Ernie doing it.

• Haha 1