Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Michael Vick says he wasn't trying to cut down Kevin Kolb

tr1

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/michael-vick-says-he-wasnt-trying-to-cut-down-kevin-kolb/1

Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick clarified that he was not intending to criticize teammate Kevin Kolb with his comments about his performance in Sunday's loss.

Vick, who relieved a concussed Kolb and engineered a comeback in a 27-20 loss to the Packers, originally said that if he had played for four quarters he felt he may have been able to beat Green Bay.

On Monday, Vick insisted he meant to say that he would have had more time to develop a rhythm and did not mean to intimate that he should have been the starter over Kolb.

He said, via the Delaware County Daily Times:

"I don't know how you could take that comment and try to make it seem like I'm trying to say I'm a better quarterback than Kevin. It was about me just having more time to bring us back and win the game. If I had more time maybe we had a better shot at winning the game so I could orchestrate a comeback.

"You can't win a game in two quarters. But you can definitely try."

Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday he would make Kolb the starter again when he is healthy.

I hope andy reid sticks with kevin kolb since Vick playing like his old self would present a lot of problems to opponents and probably make philly win a lot more games. Hope they stick with kevin kolb and lose :-)

Thanks!

ANY qb coming in on relief duty has nothing to lose and has the opportunity to have some success. lets see what vick does when he faces a team thats prepared to play against him specifically.

I'm not a Vick fan. I'm not saying his performance on sunday was outstanding to the point that the starting QB job is up for grabs... but damn, did he look 5 years younger. It was exciting to watch Vick play like that again. He definitely got the NFL leagues attention, to paraphrase pittman4two.

I really don't know how you justify starting Kolb over Vick after last Sunday. It was night and day between the two. Maybe Reid is too proud to admit he was wrong. Or he doesn't want to hurt Kolb's feelings. Or maybe the team in general just sucks and it'll be easier to say it's just the growing pains of a developing QB. I don't know.

Edit: thinking about this some more, I guess if you're going to lose anyway (I don't see them getting more than 6 wins), now is a good time to take the lumps of developing a new QB. I mean Vick is better but are you really going anywhere with him? With the current roster? So develop the QB now and reap greater rewards later.

I don't see Philly fans understanding and being down with that though. It could get ugly.

The reasoning for playing Kolb instead of Vick is incredibly simple and straight forward. The Eagles aren't winning anything significant this year. It didn't matter with McNabb, it won't matter with Vick, and it won't matter with Kolb at QB either. If Vick is 100% 'back', could they get to 10 wins? Maybe. Then what? They aren't winning the SB this year so it doesn't matter who is quarterbacking the team in terms of offering the best W/L chances.

What the Eagles need to get out of this year is the answer to whether Kolb can successfully take over this franchise as the QB going forward. He'll get half a year to do that (because Vick's skill set and age mean he isn't the future). They invested $12 million in Kolb and have been talking him up as the heir apparent for a significant amount of time. Do you really think they are going to discard that after 2 qtrs of 1 game?

What is the point of the Eagles playing Vick this year?

They invested $12 million in Kolb and have been talking him up as the heir apparent for a significant amount of time. Do you really think they are going to discard that after 2 qtrs of 1 game?

Andy is basically in bed with Kolb. He's been watching the kid since high schoool.

The problem is, Kolb won't have enough talent around him in the next six years for him to matter.

The Eagles are back in the cellar for a long, long time.

The reasoning for playing Kolb instead of Vick is incredibly simple and straight forward. The Eagles aren't winning anything significant this year. It didn't matter with McNabb, it won't matter with Vick, and it won't matter with Kolb at QB either. If Vick is 100% 'back', could they get to 10 wins? Maybe. Then what? They aren't winning the SB this year so it doesn't matter who is quarterbacking the team in terms of offering the best W/L chances.

What the Eagles need to get out of this year is the answer to whether Kolb can successfully take over this franchise as the QB going forward. He'll get half a year to do that (because Vick's skill set and age mean he isn't the future). They invested $12 million in Kolb and have been talking him up as the heir apparent for a significant amount of time. Do you really think they are going to discard that after 2 qtrs of 1 game?

What is the point of the Eagles playing Vick this year?

Exactly. The other players might not like to hear it, but they have to find out what they have in him. It can't be a Jason Campbell evaluation (lasting years), they've got to know by the end of this season. I would venture a guess that Vick playing ahead of Kolb for the year would not make that much of a difference anyway.

Archived