Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Media Says Dallas Gave us the Game...BS

HSW

The one person on TV that I saw give us credit last night was...Deion Sanders. On NFLN. He said that everyone slept on us. That everyone thought that Dallas was the **** and that the Skins were the "trash of the NFC East." And now people have to watch out. That we are very talented, very good and that we could easily win an always-up-for-grab NFCE. It was a pretty ringing endorsement of our performance last night and the team in general.

I'm not super scared of their Defense but I am pretty scared about their Run game. I mean all through pre-season and now through this first game, we were letting teams cut us up with their rushing attack. Next week we face this Arian Foster guy who I've never heard of but 200+ yards and 3 TDs is pretty serious.

arian foster is for real he started coming on late last season and he is a monster back. the skins will have there hands full with this guy next week.

Every year, the prognosticators predict how the games will end up as if it's still last year. When a team improves (like Washington) and last year's darling begins the downhill slide (thank you, Jerruh for ignoring your OLine in the draft and getting yet another WR), the mdia has to soft cushion the reasons they were wrong. Expect most journalists to predict last year's winner to win the Super Bowl, followed by one of last year's top 5. It's inevitable. Otherwise, the media would have to do some work to actually determine which teams got better or worse. That ain't gonna happen

Collinsworth couldn't see it from his angle just like the fans didn't see it from their angle. Only the line judge saw it. The Cooley illegal motion call was a bs call unlike Barron's blatant hold.

You could easily say that we almost caused ourselves the game too. Think about that field goal we made but decided not to take because of a DALLAS penalty that gave us a first down instead. We ended up not scoring at all that drive because of the muffed field goal attempt shortly after that on that same drive. If we had kept those three points (Putting our lead at the end at nine instead of six), which wouldn't have been logically since TD>FG or if Armstrong had actually caught one of those fade passes that they tried for back to back, the game would have been over.

In a way, i thought Cowboy mistakes did gift-wrap the win. I don't want to take anything away from the Skins defense -- they played their hearts out. Holding Dallas to 7 points is a real accomplishment.

But what Dallas tried in the last few seconds of the first half gave the Skins a golden opportunity -- one that Hall pounced on! That was huge.

Had Dallas played it 'smart' on the last play of the first half, the final score could have been Dallas 7, Washington 6.

I don't care about the media, I'm just glad we won this very hard-fought game.

The three most pivotal points to the win were:

1. Dallas missing the second quarter Feild Goal. Had they made that they would have sat on the ball at the end of the quarter satisfied with a tied game

2. Dallas stupidely not sitting on the ball at the end of the game and going for the TC shuttle pass. Had they done the right thing they would have sat on the ball and we wouldn't have gone in at halftime with a 10-0 lead

3. Dallas holding so blatently on the last play of the game. Had the stupid player not made the hold as obvious as he did the refs don't call holding to decide the game. For them to do that they know it must be such an obvious call that to not call it would require an apology and that's what we got. An obvious penalty they had to call negating the game tieing score

The fans out there saying they gave us the game and getting upset about it need to chill out on this Victory day and reflect on what is real and what isn't.

Dallas outgained us on offense. They had more receiving and rushing yards then we did.

Dallas shut out our offense. They never allowed us to score 1 TD. How many games in the past did we not score any points and beat a better team?

We were lucky to win this game. We aren't going to win many games against better opponants like this. No they didn't gift wrap the game but to say we beat the hell out of them is simply not the case. Miles Austin had 150 yards on us. You don't see things like that and say we beat them to a pulp. The thing is no good team has a good year without luck. I'd rather have a lucky win then a tough loss.

I have not heard

one media account accurately refect this..

I expect as much.. The all picked Dallas to win the superbowl and now they come out and get knocked off by the "lowly" Redskins.. They're all just tryin to save face!!! As someone posted in the Official Game Thread last night.. DUCK FALLAS!! lol :point2sky

I'm more surprised they don't talk about Shnahan taking the FG off and getting 0 pts.If that had been Zorn it would've been front page news

What is there to discuss?

We were given a new set of downs from inside the 10 yard line or told to settle for 3 points. Hindsights 20-20 but any coach in the NFL who when given a chance at 1st and goal from inside the 10 or to take 3 points and kickoff and decides to take the 3 points like you suggest would have everyone talking. You take the 1st and goal every and I mean every single time right there. If you miss it in 3 tries that's when you kick a feild goal.

You don't get to cherry pick after you know you missed the FG and now decide that keeping the 3 points was the better thing to do. Hindsight is 20-20 but there is no question in my mind at all that you take the new set of downs everytime. It's unfortuant that we missed the second try but that happens sometimes. I'd rather take three shots at a TD then a FG anyday

I was yelling at my wife about the same, she was like "well maybe they thought they would catch them off guard running the same play again". I said HONEY, this is not college and that was a rookie against a good corner, dumb to call that corner end zone play twice IMO. Cooley or Davis at the line gets a TD for you there.

It's a safe play. If the balls overthrown it goes out of bounds. If it's on target only our guy can catch it. If it's underthrown thats when you'll have problems but with a veteran like McNabb it's a good chance he won't underthrow it. Also the likelyhood that you get a PI call there is pretty good. We all thought that second try was PI. If they zebras call it then we get the ball on the 1 yard line and a new set of downs.

The thought I had during that play was why was it going to Armstrong both times? He's only 6'1, the taller the player is the better the chance they make the catch. Since he's not that tall it comes down to technique. Why is he not spinning around jumping up to get the ball? Why was he trying to catch it over the shoulder? Imagine M Kelly with his 6'5 frame jumping up and twisting to get the ball over the defender right there? That's a TD in my dreams every time. I don't mind the calls but the personal we choose to use it with was lacking as was the technique he used to catch the ball. Had he attacked the ball he would have gotten a score but he didn't

The writers are about 90% correct. The Skins get credit for taking advantage of a couple of mistakes, but all in all, Dallas just made too many mistakes to win.

They made too many mistakes because they aren't that good. Don't call it gift wrapping. If that's the case, we gift wrapped ten of our 12 losses last year to our opponents...including one to dallas... Armstrong should have caught the first fade--that makes it 17-0 my friend. Secondly, That 10 yard gain that portis had called back because of a Cooley penalty--well there was no offense committed. That would have given us a first down and eaten off more clock.. Thirdly, Carlos Rogers dropped a game solidifying interception that hit him right in the palms of his hands...I'd say if anybody is doing any gift wrapping it's the Skins. Orakpo owned Barron once they switched him to that side, owned! You think that Holding call was a fluke? consider that a sack. The parity in the NFL is what makes the league so unpredictable, every week, the winner has exploited mistakes that the other team made...And because if that, I don't see how this W is different than any other W around the league...

What is there to discuss?

We were given a new set of downs from inside the 10 yard line or told to settle for 3 points. Hindsights 20-20 but any coach in the NFL who when given a chance at 1st and goal from inside the 10 or to take 3 points and kickoff and decides to take the 3 points like you suggest would have everyone talking. You take the 1st and goal every and I mean every single time right there. If you miss it in 3 tries that's when you kick a feild goal.

You don't get to cherry pick after you know you missed the FG and now decide that keeping the 3 points was the better thing to do. Hindsight is 20-20 but there is no question in my mind at all that you take the new set of downs everytime. It's unfortuant that we missed the second try but that happens sometimes. I'd rather take three shots at a TD then a FG anyday

Absolutely...Any legit coach in the NFL would have done the same thing.

The three most pivotal points to the win were:

1. Dallas missing the second quarter Feild Goal. Had they made that they would have sat on the ball at the end of the quarter satisfied with a tied game

2. Dallas stupidely not sitting on the ball at the end of the game and going for the TC shuttle pass. Had they done the right thing they would have sat on the ball and we wouldn't have gone in at halftime with a 10-0 lead

3. Dallas holding so blatently on the last play of the game. Had the stupid player not made the hold as obvious as he did the refs don't call holding to decide the game. For them to do that they know it must be such an obvious call that to not call it would require an apology and that's what we got. An obvious penalty they had to call negating the game tieing score

The fans out there saying they gave us the game and getting upset about it need to chill out on this Victory day and reflect on what is real and what isn't.

Dallas outgained us on offense. They had more receiving and rushing yards then we did.

Dallas shut out our offense. They never allowed us to score 1 TD. How many games in the past did we not score any points and beat a better team?

We were lucky to win this game. We aren't going to win many games against better opponants like this. No they didn't gift wrap the game but to say we beat the hell out of them is simply not the case. Miles Austin had 150 yards on us. You don't see things like that and say we beat them to a pulp. The thing is no good team has a good year without luck. I'd rather have a lucky win then a tough loss.

Dallas sucks dude..that's why they lost. That is all that needs to be said. They moved the ball between the 20's--big f'in deal. Jason Campbell made a career out of doing that. They are a team that has been together for years...and that's all they can bring? We've got a new QB that played in only 2 pre season games, new Offense, no receivers, new coach, patchwork o-line. I mean should I keep going. There was nothing lucky about this win, Dallas is lucky it wasn't 17-0, after Armstrong dropped a pass in the end zone that was in his hands. We dropped a INT that would have solidified the win. They couldn't handle Brian Orakpo, so they held him all day. Don't be a hater. We've got work to do, but at least the skins have a chance of getting better. I can't say the same thing for the cowboys, who are just getting stale by now.

Dallas sucks dude..that's why they lost. That is all that needs to be said.

While I totally agree they suck there is much to be said about this game. It's not that simple. If it were then we'd never lose a game in any season because to me every team out there excluding the Redskins sucks

They moved the ball between the 20's--big f'in deal. Jason Campbell made a career out of doing that.

I wish Jason had been as productive moving the ball like the Pukes are. That's wishful thinking. The reason they can't score more TD's is three fold:

1. They have a terrible Offensive Cordinator who tries to out think things. He goes for style points like when he was less then 10 yards out and calls up a half back pass. The play calling in the red zone for them is terrible

2. They don't run the ball enough. Last year they were number one in the NFC in rushing, they have talented running backs but choose to throw all the time. I kept wondering why last night they got away from the run when it was getting 5 yards a carry. It just doesn't make sense to me.

3. They decided to cut Flozel Adams last season in a cost cutting move. Adams was the key block that sprung Mendenhall for the game winning TD in overtime yesterday. They cut Flozell when they owed him 7 something million and signed the most penalized LT in the game in his place. When they lost the LT they sure could use his services then. It wasn't like Flozell couldn't play anymore. This will prove to be detrimental to them this year

I'm forced to see a lot of Cowboy crap living where I do and know the team very well. And until they fix these things they will continue to suck which is fine with me

They are a team that has been together for years...and that's all they can bring? We've got a new QB that played in only 2 pre season games, new Offense, no receivers, new coach, patchwork o-line. I mean should I keep going.

Together for years?

Miles Austin came out of nowhere last year

Dez Bryant is a rookie

They had three new starters on the offensive line this game vs last years matchup

I don't see where you say they've been together for years because it's just not factual.

There was nothing lucky about this win

When was the last time we didn't score an offensive TD against them and won the game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys%E2%80%93Redskins_rivalry

There is a list of the results of us playing them and I don't see when that was but it sure wasn't in the last 10 years. Winning without scoring an offensive TD against the Cowboys takes some lucky breaks and we got lucky last night. You can think we weren't lucky to win but fact is that they have much better skill players then we do, outplayed our offense last night, and for us to win the game because of a blatant penalty which if it wasn't called would have likely cost us the game is by definition lucky.

Why is being lucky a bad thing?

Dallas is lucky it wasn't 17-0, after Armstrong dropped a pass in the end zone that was in his hands. We dropped a INT that would have solidified the win. They couldn't handle Brian Orakpo, so they held him all day. Don't be a hater. We've got work to do, but at least the skins have a chance of getting better. I can't say the same thing for the cowboys, who are just getting stale by now.

I never said that they didn't get lucky as well but we had more luck then they did. I'd rather have more luck every day then skill. And we dropped 2 INT's not just one.

Calling me a hater is silly. Everyone knows my allegiance to the Redskins. I will live and die a Redskins fan and no one else. I just call it as I see it. And if that's not the same outlook as you share that's OK. We all are entitled to our opinions. Saying we were lucky isn't a bad thing or something said to take away from the great game we played. It's just the truth

This game came down to coaching.

In the past, the redskins had no discipline. So when a game like this went on, they would lose. And it would be frustrating to watch the redskins literally beat themselves.

Regardless of how 'good' the NFC East is, or how tough it is, there are often divisional games like this.

It just so happens that Mike Shanahan is a better coach than Wade Philips. The redskins had more discipline. Thats why they won.

The cowboys were out coached in that area, as well as mid-game adjustments.

In a way, i thought Cowboy mistakes did gift-wrap the win. I don't want to take anything away from the Skins defense -- they played their hearts out. Holding Dallas to 7 points is a real accomplishment.

But what Dallas tried in the last few seconds of the first half gave the Skins a golden opportunity -- one that Hall pounced on! That was huge.

Had Dallas played it 'smart' on the last play of the first half, the final score could have been Dallas 7, Washington 6.

incorrect. You assume that events would have unfolded in exactly the same way given one change in the time continuum. Despite how horrible and stupid the movie was, the butterfly effect is a real theory that helps explain this phenomenon: given one event change, you have to assume events would have unfolded completely differently given the new timeline:

The cowboys would have gone into the locker room down by only three instead of ten. This would have altered their game plan for the second half, the same is true for the skins. Etc. etc.

so to say the outcome would have been 7-6 is completely irrational. At best we have no idea how the second half would have unfolded if the score at the half was 3-0.

IMO, the media is probably worse than any Puke fan. They stick up for Dall@ss like they've been wronged in losing. They were ready to anoint those fools as obvious SB favorites had they won the game. Idiot Romo sits to pee would've been mentioned in the same breath as guys like Brady, Montana or Bradshaw. The Skins, of course, would have been trashed as a team that doesn't have enough talent and are years away from competing. It's so nice to hear not hear this crap and have them criticize Dall@ss for their mistakes and not hear BS excuses.

While I totally agree they suck there is much to be said about this game. It's not that simple. If it were then we'd never lose a game in any season because to me every team out there excluding the Redskins sucks

I wish Jason had been as productive moving the ball like the Pukes are. That's wishful thinking. The reason they can't score more TD's is three fold:

1. They have a terrible Offensive Cordinator who tries to out think things. He goes for style points like when he was less then 10 yards out and calls up a half back pass. The play calling in the red zone for them is terrible

2. They don't run the ball enough. Last year they were number one in the NFC in rushing, they have talented running backs but choose to throw all the time. I kept wondering why last night they got away from the run when it was getting 5 yards a carry. It just doesn't make sense to me.

3. They decided to cut Flozel Adams last season in a cost cutting move. Adams was the key block that sprung Mendenhall for the game winning TD in overtime yesterday. They cut Flozell when they owed him 7 something million and signed the most penalized LT in the game in his place. When they lost the LT they sure could use his services then. It wasn't like Flozell couldn't play anymore. This will prove to be detrimental to them this year

I'm forced to see a lot of Cowboy crap living where I do and know the team very well. And until they fix these things they will continue to suck which is fine with me

Together for years?

Miles Austin came out of nowhere last year

Dez Bryant is a rookie

They had three new starters on the offensive line this game vs last years matchup

I don't see where you say they've been together for years because it's just not factual.

When was the last time we didn't score an offensive TD against them and won the game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys%E2%80%93Redskins_rivalry

There is a list of the results of us playing them and I don't see when that was but it sure wasn't in the last 10 years. Winning without scoring an offensive TD against the Cowboys takes some lucky breaks and we got lucky last night. You can think we weren't lucky to win but fact is that they have much better skill players then we do, outplayed our offense last night, and for us to win the game because of a blatant penalty which if it wasn't called would have likely cost us the game is by definition lucky.

Why is being lucky a bad thing?

I never said that they didn't get lucky as well but we had more luck then they did. I'd rather have more luck every day then skill. And we dropped 2 INT's not just one.

Calling me a hater is silly. Everyone knows my allegiance to the Redskins. I will live and die a Redskins fan and no one else. I just call it as I see it. And if that's not the same outlook as you share that's OK. We all are entitled to our opinions. Saying we were lucky isn't a bad thing or something said to take away from the great game we played. It's just the truth

Are you re-reading your own posts??

First, Refhaf4l had a point...Campbell would have yards and completions but that didn't necessarily result in wins or points

You sound like a person looking down on our team...focusing on everything the Cowboys did wrongs and not all the things we did right. Further more...guess what? We made mistakes too...were it not for those mistakes what would be the score??

Dallas DID have a running game...are you serious? Based on the amount of carries, they racked up a BUNCH of yards...

Yes...for the most part The Cowboys have been together for a while, Miles Austin having a breakout year doesn't equal being a newcomer. Yes they have new additions on offense...what team doesn't?? But they surely didn't get the "Extreme Makeover" that we did

Do you wanna tell me why the Cowboys had no points until a bad punt that gave them great field position??

Do you even realize that the score may have been 16-7 were it not for that botched field goal attempt where the holder bobbled the ball?? That would have made it a 2 possession game late in the 4th quarter. What then??

Dude...our defense held them to nothing for 3 quarters. To diminish that by saying it's luck is VERY DISRESPECTFUL to our players. Orakpo would have sacked Romo sits to pee had he not been held around the neck like that....for the Refs to NOT call that would have been cheating. We DESERVED that call and it was NOT luck that we won. We were the better team...and had we not made many mistakes the score would have been higher

They are so full of it. If they didn't hold Orakpo he would have sacked Romo sits to pee and the pass never would have happened. So either way Skins win!!!! Give me a break, no one who saw the replay of the hold can't say Orakpo would have sacked Romo sits to pee. Why else hold? Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Media is still on the Cowboys jock!!! Give it up already!!!

I was surprised how often I was quoted as stating a hypothetical as fact. Please note that I used the word "COULD have" -- not would have.

Obviously, It's not possible to assume how things would have turned out under different circumstances. But that applies to a lot situations -- so maybe if Carlos Rogers had made the interception -- if's possible we might have given the ball right back to Dallas on a bad center-to-QB exchange? Who knows? The important thing is that we won.

For lots of reasons, Dallas only scored 7 offensive points, and we only scored 6 offensive points. Both sides could have scored more especially if the field goal units had performed better, or if the receivers had made more catches in the endzone.

Bottom line is if Dallas and media want to believe that Dallas was that much better than Washington, let them delude themselves. I think they underestimated our team, and it cost them. Maybe it will happen one again, too!

Realistically, Dallas made a lot of mistakes and if they would not have done so they probably would have won the game, but I'm sure we all know this already. A win is still a win though and if you think about it the reason a team wins is because of the other teams flaws no matter what standpoint it is, whether it be missed coverage, or dropped passes, or so on. In this situation we set up Dallas to defeat themselves which is not only a loss but a disgraceful loss which is the worse way you can lose a game. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that Dallas locker room Sunday night after the game.

Archived