Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Tiger Woods washed up?

blue collar

22 hours ago, tshile said:

Nike's done with the hardware end of it and the belief is that the falling of Woods is a big reason why (they had a very specific marketing strategy that doesn't seem to work well post-Woods)

I'm not sure Tiger's decline had much to do with their departure from club making.  Unfortunately, the golf equipment market is ridiculous.  The average joe can't keep up with $500 drivers, $300 woods, etc. that come out twice a year.  Club makers have to spend a ton of money on R&D, advertising and sponsors, and it leaves little room to make money.  $100 golf shirts have a much larger profit margin than equipment does.

Not sure what to expect of his return, as always.  But it would really be nice to simply see him competitive again.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure Tiger's decline had much to do with their departure from club making.  Unfortunately, the golf equipment market is ridiculous.  The average joe can't keep up with $500 drivers, $300 woods, etc. that come out twice a year.  Club makers have to spend a ton of money on R&D, advertising and sponsors, and it leaves little room to make money.  $100 golf shirts have a much larger profit margin than equipment does.

Not sure what to expect of his return, as always.  But it would really be nice to simply see him competitive again.

To add to that, my understanding is that Nike seemed to design their clubs in a way that bucked traditional styles so they appealed to a specific subset of the market - one that has dried up (not entirely be cause, of but at least in part because of, Wood's decline.) I'm basing that off what I hear from people that seem to know a lot more about it than me, I'm new to the sport so I have no idea myself.

The whole market is apparently going through a decline. Here in northern VA there are a few barriers for almost everyone I know that says they'd like to play (or play more) but can't:

-Pace of play, it's hard to block 6 hours out to drive to, warm up for, and play a course for 4 1/2-5 hours on a saturday (compared to me taking a few hours off wednesday morning and being able to play a round in < 3 hours with my buddy.) If you have a kid it's damn near impossible unless your kid just likes to play outside and doesn't do anything with a schedule (clubs, sports, etc)

-Cost to play, equipment aside almost all the courses around here that are decent/good are $50+, with many being $80+ a round.

-The game is hard, unless you're just naturally skilled at golf you can't play twice a year and be any good, which just magnifies the issues with the two points above. I have friends with clubs I can't get to go play because they don't want to block out 6 hours and spend $80 to go shoot a 110 because they haven't played in 2 years.

I was out in MN 2 years ago and their course charged $15 and it was every bit as nice as the $50 ones around here, except there were no cart girls and the course was empty. There just doesn't see any quality, cheap courses that aren't ~5 hour pace of play around here.

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Pulling for Tiger to put it together.  I want to see him mix it up with all the young guys out there.  

Would be a great story and really great for the sport.  Could you imagine Tiger, Phil and Fowler duking it out down the stretch at the 2018 Masters...Epic!!

Color me skeptical, though.  Poor guy has a ton of mileage on him.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Would be a great story and really great for the sport.  Could you imagine Tiger, Phil and Fowler duking it out down the stretch at the 2018 Masters...Epic!!

Color me skeptical, though.  Poor guy has a ton of mileage on him.

I think Tiger kept rushing back when he wasn't healthy and his game wasn't ready.  I'm penciling him in for two wins this year.  Majors?  I don't know. 

He's certainly got a lot of mental demons that he's dealing with.  Crazy to see a guy so dominant at one point look so unsure of himself standing over the ball at times.  Especially on the greens.  Just zero confidence.  He looks like he's stunned after every putt he misses.

I just think if he can figure out a way to win just once, it'll get the monkey off his back and he'll play much better.  I'm pulling for him.  The game misses him.  The young guns are super talented, but they'll never be as fun to watch as Tiger and Phil in my opinion.  Those two guys make golf a riveting sport.

Tees off at 12noon EST today. There are only 18 players (him and 17 of the top 50 in the world).

I'd figure him lasting all four rounds would be good..but from what I can tell..he's actually healthy for the first time in 2+ years. I kind of expect him to finish in the top 10 (which doesn't sound like a lot..but it's huge progress). 

• 5 months later...

I'm seeing all sorts of bs about his statement and mixing pills

Dude was arrested at 3 am.

I am well aware of what it means to be driving at 3 am.

If you buy his bull**** statement then you're naive.

Archived