Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Tiger Woods washed up?

blue collar

I'm not quite sure I remember a pool or tennis court at Shen Valley.

http://shenandoahvalleygolfclub.com/

I think you may be thinking of Shenvalee: http://www.shenvalee.com/  I've never played here.

Like I said, it was the 80s...and Shenandoah Valley. They were off to the right of the clubhouse, I banged enough tennis balls off the wall, trust me...they were there.

The problem is golf cost money need the Taylor made hat the Calloway clubs the tee the ball etc

You don't need any of that stuff.

You can get clubs at any goodwill, play it again sports, craigslist, etc. for next to nothing.  You can buy an entry level boxed set at times from Dick's for about 100 bucks.

You can buy golf balls for next to nothing on the internet.  Tees are like 3 bucks for 100 of them.

You don't need any specific hat, attire or footwear.  Most nicer courses do require you wear a shirt with a collar, which you can buy at Wal-Mart for 7 bucks.

Granted, I spend entirely too much on Under Armour & Nike footwear and apparel, buy middle of the road golf balls which are still around $20 a dozen and buy new clubs every once in a blue moon.  But you don't have to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger haters can blow their loads now.  

Golf journalist Robert Lusetich reported Monday that Woods' condition has "worsened" and he does not have a set date for a return to the course. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2607643-tiger-woods-injury-updates-on-golf-stars-back-and-return?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

:(

Hard to see him ever getting back to regular competition.

I think he's exempt until 2019? Given the way he's played over the last 2-3 years I'd wonder if he could even get his card again...

Agreed.

Far as tour card holder, all I could find was 

2. Winner of THE PLAYERS Championship in the last five seasons and the current season: K.J. Choi   Rickie Fowler Matt Kuchar Tiger Woods

:(

Hard to see him ever getting back to regular competition.

I think he's exempt until 2019? Given the way he's played over the last 2-3 years I'd wonder if he could even get his card again...

While his agent refuted this report, it's still hard to imagine that he'll ever have anyone chasing him on Sunday again.

Going back to 2013 when he won 5 tournaments, he still sprayed the ball all over the course.  He would just save it with Tiger-like miracle recoveries, chips and putts.  2014-present, even if he hits it okay, he still doesn't have it with his chipping and putting which is what made him famous.  One would think, even with the injuries, that part of his game shouldn't have really left.

Agreed.

Far as tour card holder, all I could find was 

2. Winner of THE PLAYERS Championship in the last five seasons and the current season: K.J. Choi   Rickie Fowler Matt Kuchar Tiger Woods

I actually forgot that he's over 15 years now. 20 wins and 15 years means life time exemption on the PGA

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/02/10/tiger-woods-exemption-status-majors-wgcs-players-9674/

He's lifetime exempt Masters and PGA championship. Open until he's 60, US open until 2018 (unless he wins again.)

It doesn't really matter because they also have exemptions from the people hosting/sponsoring events, and if Tiger has lost his card he'd be the first on everyone's short list to get in there. Everyone makes more money when Tiger plays.

All that being said - I still wonder if he could earn his card if he had to. He definitely has the ability to play a weekend more than good enough to win a qualifying tournament, but those seem to be few and far between.

You don't need any of that stuff.

You can get clubs at any goodwill, play it again sports, craigslist, etc. for next to nothing.  You can buy an entry level boxed set at times from Dick's for about 100 bucks.

You can buy golf balls for next to nothing on the internet.  Tees are like 3 bucks for 100 of them.

You don't need any specific hat, attire or footwear.  Most nicer courses do require you wear a shirt with a collar, which you can buy at Wal-Mart for 7 bucks.

Granted, I spend entirely too much on Under Armour & Nike footwear and apparel, buy middle of the road golf balls which are still around $20 a dozen and buy new clubs every once in a blue moon.  But you don't have to. 

True, all of this.  I got my clubs from a friend, had a customer who ran a golf shop *his sister is on tour*, and he cut 'em & gripped 'em for me for free.

X-out balls are cheap in stores, it only took me about 10 minutes to find good looking MaxFli 4s. 

The course I used to play allowed "good denim".  My Calvin Klein long shorts worked well.  Shoes can be totally "whatever you want without spikes".

And like Mark Twain said, it's "a good walk spoiled".   Get after it, y'all!

:)

I just find it incredible that this 21 year old 135 lbs woman can hit a golf ball so much farther than I can. She averages 290 yards. It's incredible.

I got out yesterday. For the first time swinging my new clubs I was very happy. Still have a lot of work to do. I left the driver and the 3 wood in the bag, and that seems like the best way for me to play right now.

the weather Sunday was just amazing. only problem was the course was super soggy so it was cart path only through the whole course which makes it take forever to play. in hindsight we would have been better off just carrying the whole course instead of using the cart.

Just got confirmation...playing in a tournament at Shenandoah Valley on Good Friday. Haven't played there in a couple of years and looking forward to it. Always liked that course.

On a side note. A bunch of people I work with do a golf vacation/weekend and often hit up the Winchester area. Well one year we were to play Shenandoah Valley on a Saturday for two rounds. It happened to be the day after a Redskins tournament there in early June. In fact it was father's day weekend (the golf trip is always on father's day weekend). The Redskins tournament was former and current players, business people, and some fans. At any rate the course was destroyed, lol. There were golf carts in water. Wrecked golf carts from running into trees. Torn up parts of the course. All kinds of stuff. It was funny yet bad. At any rate the beer cart girl we had was gorgeous. I legitimate 9 on a 10 scale and I'm a hard rater. She showed us some pictures she got with some players. We asked her how much money she made in tips. She made $2300 in that one day which is great. We told her she might be lucky to see 1% of that...she thought that would be $230. True story

good luck in your tournament :)

I'm hoping to play 1/2 a round this weekend late in the afternoon after i work on my bathroom. we'll see..

watching Tiger put out that video and do a sit down interview.... he never did that stuff before... my how things have changed. almost makes me feel like that locks it up that he's done.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my wife to put her foot down and tell me now more golf stuff this year.... she's let me go crazy... but i bought all cheap stuff 5 years ago and i'm finally ready to buy quality stuff now that I know I want to keep playing...

so, i just bought a new bag. if/when you're ready for a new bag there's a ton of deals on amazon to be found this time of year if you're willing to buy the previous model year. people clearing them out.

i found a callaway org 15 2015 bag listed as used like new condition, and the description said it was never actually used, in original packaging, the original packaging was just damaged. it's a 260$ bag listed for 170$. i had 70$ in rewards for amazon so i actually only paid 100$ for it.

ill keep my cheap carry bag for when i carry. this bag has a giant cooler built into it ;)

oh, also i was sick all day yesterday so i got to stay home and watch the golf tournaments. that was fun.

i especially enjoy when someone hits a shot that looks like i hit it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Some random golf thoughts I've had...

In the spirit of the NCAA march madness tournament, the Dell WCG match play style is fun to watch. It's a different way of watching golf, where two people are going head to head, and a bracket style. I think the general public would enjoy that more because it matches more what other sports do in general but I imagine it wouldn't be good for 'the game'

---

I had the day off and go half a round in. I walked away with a smile. 1 par and 4 bogies on the 5 holes where I actually played well. The other 4 were forgettable and not worth mentioning except to say I finished +15 on those 4 holes. Yeah, I'm not kidding. I think I four putted on one because I just could not figure out the greens and didn't have the time to practice before starting. On another I crossed the green 3 times trying to get it on the green...

But, 5 holes were great. Left smiling, best practice round of the year so far. Something to build on.

--

My embarrassing moment of the day (I don't embarrass easily either): I teed off on a hole and sent the ball literally into the tee box on the next hole where 3 older guys where teeing off. I yelled fore, but even I didn't think it would make it there. I drove up and damn if the ball wasn't sitting right in their tee box. You could have mistaken it for a ball someone forgot to hit off the tee. They laughed at me in good fun, as did the two gentlemen behind me trying to figure out why I was playing on their hole they were up on from the tee box of the next hole. Not sure what they thought when they saw the ball headed their way...

--

A solid drive is a great feeling, but I honestly think the best shot (to me) is a beautiful approach shot. It's different for everyone, but for me it's the lob wedge at 60-80 yards. Watching the ball go so high and land smack in the center of the green and just stay there is the greatest feeling to me. If time were no obstacle I could spend all day just pitching balls onto the green like that.

Also I hit a 12 foot put for par. That's a pretty good feeling too, but that approach shot is just a beautiful work or art a drive and a long put just can't match.

--

The golfing community is so weird. You have the laid back, just having fun crowd, You have the old grumpy crowd that essentially talks to you like you're a piece of garbage if you inconvenience them and then relies on this 'respect your elders' mentality to get away with it. Seeing some things I've seen this year, I can't wait until an old man pulls that crap with me because I have no problem telling him to go you know what. You have the people who buy new clubs every year and I can't figure out where they get their money. Then you have the people who spend time fretting over whether someone has more than 14 clubs in their bag, if they called their provisional ball, if they dropped correctly, or if someone putted out of order. And among them all you have subsets of people who could spend hours talking about swing mechanics and what a perfect swing is for any given situation.  It's really interesting watching and listening to people. Hell, if I can escape a round with only losing a ball or two I'm super stoked; and if the beer is cold.

---

oh, McIroy had some incredible putts today at the WGC. Earlier in the season he was talking about his new putting style and taking flak for early issues, but he's making some incredible putts.

I think he hit a 63 footer and a 30 something footer today. Which is just insane.

Some random golf thoughts I've had...

I think he hit a 63 footer and a 30 something footer today. Which is just insane.

In the Applebees's Classic of (I think)'96, *4-man, best ball*, I was always the "show us what it looks like, Mary" leadoff, LOL

I sunk what everyone claimed to be a 40-foot putt... yeah, guys, put your balls back in the bag.

We all did the "da-na-na, da=na=na" SportsCenter thing.  It was my most bad-ass moment. (You can tell, I don't get to share this story often, sorry...)

I'm waiting for my wife to put her foot down and tell me now more golf stuff this year.... she's let me go crazy... but i bought all cheap stuff 5 years ago and i'm finally ready to buy quality stuff now that I know I want to keep playing...

so, i just bought a new bag. if/when you're ready for a new bag there's a ton of deals on amazon to be found this time of year if you're willing to buy the previous model year. people clearing them out.

i found a callaway org 15 2015 bag listed as used like new condition, and the description said it was never actually used, in original packaging, the original packaging was just damaged. it's a 260$ bag listed for 170$. i had 70$ in rewards for amazon so i actually only paid 100$ for it.

ill keep my cheap carry bag for when i carry. this bag has a giant cooler built into it ;)

oh, also i was sick all day yesterday so i got to stay home and watch the golf tournaments. that was fun.

i especially enjoy when someone hits a shot that looks like i hit it. ;)

hit me up with the link.  you bought clubs for $170??

Archived