Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Tiger Woods washed up?

blue collar

also, someone will get a kick out of this... so i came home and was swapping out my clubs so i could go to the range and check them out... i got my old clubs off craigslist like 4 years ago for $90. They're old ben hogans. They were perfect for figuring out if i wanted to play golf or not. Except... they're a solid club head's length shorter than my new mizunos... the **** cut the clubs down and didn't bother to tell me, and i never bothered to check.

i've been playing with short people clubs for the last 4 years... no wonder i had such a rough time...

If they were really old clubs, they may have been made that way. Club manufacturers have been making clubs longer over the years to add distance, especially with woods.

I know the really old set of Titleist irons I first started with were way shorter than my off the rack ones I later bought.

Too much emphasis on club technology and length etc.

Work on your swing.

A good golfer could take a Wal mart driver, seven iron, four iron, and putter and kick your ass.

That said I did buy new clubs last year. :D. More for aesthetic reasons though, honestly. My old set was completely ragged out and pretty embarrassing to play with in certain situations

Yeah... I'm aware my issue has more to do with me than the clubs :)

But I just hated using really old clubs... the new clubs are way more forgiving...  I went to the range and even my mi****s with those mp-25's were going straight... it was the distance that suffered.

my big problem right now is I suck terribly with my 3 wood and driver. i'm thinking i'm going to start this year only playing my irons and hybrids, even off the tee for a par 5. it doesn't matter how well i'm hitting my irons if i'm doing so from the woods 1/2 the time...

i wasn't a star athlete or anything, but i never had any trouble picking up a sport through my whole life. tennis and golf... have far and away been the biggest challenges for me in terms of picking a sport.

I gave up on my driver completely. I hit my 3 iron off the tee. 100% of the time it is straight down the pipe and 210 yards. I don't play from the tips so that's good enough

At some point I'm going to tackle my driver again. All I need is infinite time ;)

The most valuable items I've ever purchased for golf were lessons.

However, once you become 'not terrible' and get into the 90's, newer clubs will help your game a little bit.

A buddy of mine who shoots like 125, duffs every other shot and slices his drive into the woods nearly every tee shot, just spent 500 bucks on a set at the Dulles golf expo.  No matter how much I tell him that money would be better spent with an instructor while still playing his top flight boxed set he got for 99 bucks at Dicks, he still won't listen.

see i'm one of those idiots that is like... well... if i take a little off my driver it goes straight.

so i'll drive off the first one for like 180-200 yards. and then i go to the second hole and I'm like... ok, let's do that again.

somewhere around the 3rd hole that you can use a driver on, I'm like Rex Grossman Screw It Go Deep, and then i'm done for the day and constantly walking around the woods trying to find my ball and then chipping out side waysbecause there's a huge tree in my way.

and then i keep trying to crush the ball and i let it ruin my day. i know i shouldn't, but i do it anyway.

maybe just leave the driver at home....

I too struggle with the driver.  Every so often, I'll crush it straight down the middle 275 yards and once you do that, it's hard to "take a little off of it" in an effort to try and keep it straight all the time.

In an odd twist of fate, my driver head snapped off the shaft in the back of my vehicle near the end of summer last year.  Naturally, I was devastated as I discovered this prior to throwing my bag on the cart before a round.  This left me to play with my 3 wood from the tees.  I slice a 3 wood off the grass consistently, so I was not looking forward to this.  Next thing I know, I'm striping it off the tee with the 3 wood nearly as long as I hit my driver on average.

This led to me looking into the "mini" drivers which are ultimately a 3 wood with bit larger club head.  I picked up an Aeroburner mini driver on a great sale around Christmas and was only able to take it out once on NYE, and I was blasting it into the fairways consistently.  Only 1 round of play to go off of, but I'm praying it stays that way come spring.

I too struggle with the driver. Every so often, I'll crush it straight down the middle 275 yards and once you do that, it's hard to "take a little off of it" in an effort to try and keep it straight all the time.

In an odd twist of fate, my driver head snapped off the shaft in the back of my vehicle near the end of summer last year. Naturally, I was devastated as I discovered this prior to throwing my bag on the cart before a round. This left me to play with my 3 wood from the tees. I slice a 3 wood off the grass consistently, so I was not looking forward to this. Next thing I know, I'm striping it off the tee with the 3 wood nearly as long as I hit my driver on average.

This led to me looking into the "mini" drivers which are ultimately a 3 wood with bit larger club head. I picked up an Aeroburner mini driver on a great sale around Christmas and was only able to take it out once on NYE, and I was blasting it into the fairways consistently. Only 1 round of play to go off of, but I'm praying it stays that way come spring.

Besides the mental block, which is most likely all it is, I suspect my inability to hit a driver consistently stems from the club length.

Besides the mental block, which is most likely all it is, I suspect my inability to hit a driver consistently stems from the club length.

The mini driver I picked up is about 2 inches shorter than my driver.  Makes all the difference in the world at address.  I also think the smaller club head helps as with a standard 460cc driver, subconsciously it feels like there is more room for error and kinda just bash away with it.

i wish it costs like 20$ to play golf.

living in northern VA, it's expensive.

and the courses are jam packed because the people running them don't give a **** and just want more money.

we're talking about driving an hour out into the mountains to go somewhere where for 70$ a round we can at least take our time and thoroughly enjoy being out in 'nature' for a few hours.

also, i'm considering boycotting a course, need feed back on people versed in etiquette.

buddy i play with, who's really good, has a 10 year old kid we take with us.

the kid will tee the ball up around 100 yards out and hit the ball to the green and put around while we finish the hole. that's all he does.

they charged him full fee for that.

i think that's bogus. i actually think the kid should get to come with us for free. i'm willing to entertain a small fee because at the end of the day he is hitting a golf ball on their course. but he is by no stretch of the imagination 'playing golf'. he's not taking up any time (we don't stop for him or anything, hell half the time we don't even know where he hit the ball)

he's a 10 year old kid who's dad is desperately trying to get him to enjoy the game. i think he has a driver, a 7 iron, and a putter.

they charged the guy 70$ for his kid and if I was more of a man of conviction I would have stopped the show right there and left in protest, but i'm not so I just played and am thinking I'll never go back.

Golfnow hot deals are a must in the nova area. Only thing is it will dictate when you play for a deal and it's not always when the schedule allows.

I'm not sure how far of a drive it is from where you are but the Winchester/Front Royal area offers great golf courses at good prices.

Rock Harbor

Shenandoah Valley Golf Club

Blue Ridge Shadows

Golfnow hot deals are a must in the nova area. Only thing is it will dictate when you play for a deal and it's not always when the schedule allows.

I'm not sure how far of a drive it is from where you are but the Winchester/Front Royal area offers great golf courses at good prices.

Rock Harbor

Blue Ridge Shadows

Have played each of those on some golf trips. Great places to play at a reasonable price. Blue Ridge Shadows can be tough if you're off a bit.

Rock Harbor

Blue Ridge Shadows

That's exactly where we're looking.

In fact, I think Shadows is the next place we're going... my buddy hasn't played there since before they built the resort portions of it, but says it was awesome back then. Looks great on their website.

I love Shenandoah Valley, not very much water, very well kept and maintained, not many houses around and the cherry on top - it's got 27 holes and its only 10 bucks to play 9 more after you finish 18.

I'd agree that Blue Ridge Shadows can be a little tricky, same with Rock Harbor.

If you have the time, The Woods Resort in Hedgesville, WV, has 2 courses.  1 18 hole primarily par 3 course and 1 18 hole championship course.  Absolutely the best day of golf one can ask for.  We start out with the shorter course in the morning and finish up in the afternoon on the big course.  They are always willing to cut a break if you play both of them as well.

Archived