Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Enjoyed this short read:

The Most Important LFC Player ... Ever | EmpireOfTheKop.com

Although he wasn't saying it, we do have to look at ourselves at times as Anfield is as morgue like as most any other Premiership ground most weekends; but give us something to get behind instead of the current sterile ****e we've had for two seasons now.

So now we turn to a Derby week nobody currently wants, with a European game in the middle of it. 

Which leads to the next big question. How badly will he mess with the side on Thursday?

If Bordeaux and his comments after are anything to go by it will be well weakened. Even more so with the Derby to follow next Sunday. Which is beyond asinine to me. You're running a serious risk of this group being out of reach after the middle back-to-bak's against Kazan. You can't go so inexperienced in Europe and keep expecting to get away with it. 

I hope I'm wrong but if it's any side like Bordeaux I'm expecting a home European embarrassment against the 'mighty' Sion.

Marquinhos and 10 mil will get it done, for me.

Henderson and 10 million surely?  ;).

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Just curious - do you coach his team or help out?  You seem to have a great knowledge of the game and the good lord knows there many clubs who need folks like you to coach. 

It is 6U and I CANNOT coach him yet, I just can't.

I plan to be involved at the next level.

I'm really afraid that I'll get too technical for the kids and they won't have fun.  I do have two close friends that coach in the same league and I **** about some of the stuff that our coach does, and they do the whole "suggestive" piece to our coach.  But I don't want to be THAT dad.  At least not yet.

From the first game last week to this game they only had two practices, but they worked on some formations and some defense and didn't concede at all.  Just an own goal from a rogue team mate.  Last week they got smoked like 4 or 5 to 2.  But this year the field is much bigger, the goals are much bigger, and they play much longer.  He's played at least 35 minutes of the 40 in both games so far and he's been balling most of the time.  The coach does a good job of moving them around and giving them areas to play in (didn't do that last week, it was a wondering rugby scrum and we got out flanked a LOT) so that they don't get tired.  But the kids are progressing dramatically from week 1 to week 2, so we'll see what happens next week.

Definitely an interesting reaction to the Sturridge goals yesterday.  I noticed cause I was watching for it.  The Kop wanted to get excited, but you could see that they were wearing the long term interests of the club on their sleeves.

EDIT: (Ref Euro League) You have to wonder if the conversation took place between Brendan and John W. of "why do we play to get into these competitions if you just trot a **** side out there?:

Henderson and 10 million surely?  ;).

Hail. 

Would you let the grown-ups negotiate please? :P

Edited by DC9

It is 6U and I CANNOT coach him yet, I just can't.

A freaking men lil' bro'. 

For me, kids shouldn't have much of any coaching structure up until at least aged 10. There should also be no pressure, parental or coaching, to win games. It should be ALL about going out there and enjoying themselves at that age. If they can't enjoy themselves without being scared ****less of upsetting the coach/ mom and dad living vicariously through them at that age; then what is the point?

Side note as my mind wonders ..... As regards bt's post, I wonder what my chances of coaching stateside would be? As certificatory unqualified as I am ha ha. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Side note as my mind wonders ..... As regards bt's post, I wonder what my chances of coaching stateside would be? As certificatory unqualified as I am ha ha. 

Hail. 

My brother in law got certified in like two weeks.  It's not that hard from what he said.

The US has a very strict program about when we introduce certain things into the game, though.  That's the biggest thing you have to learn.  Pretty easy.

The Scouse accent would instantly earn you street cred out here, too.  You wouldn't be on the market long! :lol:

• Like 1

My daughter, 5, just started playing soccer. Is been super fun to see her picking it up. Been so proud of her, she constantly is putting in effort. Every second she is out there she is running hard. Getting back on defense and blocking shots, taking the ball off bigger kids.

She is also the only one that has picked up on spacing. As the ball moves up the field she is moving out wide to space. Of course her teamates arent at the point where they are looking to pass, but she is doing everything right.

My son may be able to start next year, he's more of a natural athelete, so we shall see how that goes. So much fun.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 2

It is 6U and I CANNOT coach him yet, I just can't.

Why not?  From all I read here, you have a great passion for the game, are very knowledgeable about the game (well, except for your support of Pool, but no one is perfect), and really understand the game.

First, I'd recommend taking a local Coerver Youth Diploma courses.  They are great to learn how to coach young players and develop them for the next level.

We need folks like you, who understand not only how to show a player to do a proper "pull back", but also explain why they need to turn with the ball instead of against it.  You also know how to properly kick the ball, trap the ball, and play with the head up.  Please use your expertise to pass this along to the other kids.  Lastly, your passion for the game would be a very positive aspect with the kids.

Hail. 

Hey mate, somehow an organization let me coach for almost 20 years, so your knowledge of the game would make you a lock for being a coach.  Plus, how sweet would it be to hear about your side with you and your brother coaching.  Sure you would make the current lot at Pool look like the fools they are.

• Like 1

Why not?  From all I read here, you have a great passion for the game, are very knowledgeable about the game (well, except for your support of Pool, but no one is perfect), and really understand the game.

First, I'd recommend taking a local Coerver Youth Diploma courses.  They are great to learn how to coach young players and develop them for the next level.

We need folks like you, who understand not only how to show a player to do a proper "pull back", but also explain why they need to turn with the ball instead of against it.  You also know how to properly kick the ball, trap the ball, and play with the head up.  Please use your expertise to pass this along to the other kids.  Lastly, your passion for the game would be a very positive aspect with the kids.

Thanks, man.  I will definitely take a look at that in the AM and see what we have in the area that's related.  Hopefully we have that particular program around here.

I appreciate the info.

Thanks, man.  I will definitely take a look at that in the AM and see what we have in the area that's related.  Hopefully we have that particular program around here.

I appreciate the info.

Let me know if you're interested in Coerver stuff. The club I coach for is the Coerver partner for our state, so we run their summer camps and do their training annually. They have DVDs for sale, but those just give you the drills but not really how to structure one practice or a whole season or whole year. I have a ton of materials. 

There is a Coerver app, with very clear videos on how to do the fundamental ball mastery stuff that develops touch and control. 

At U6, you don't need to get very deep into the ball mastery stuff. 

• Like 1

Let me know if you're interested in Coerver stuff. The club I coach for is the Coerver partner for our state, so we run their summer camps and do their training annually. They have DVDs for sale, but those just give you the drills but not really how to structure one practice or a whole season or whole year. I have a ton of materials. 

There is a Coerver app, with very clear videos on how to do the fundamental ball mastery stuff that develops touch and control. 

At U6, you don't need to get very deep into the ball mastery stuff. 

Really want to help my daughter start picking stuff up, but never coached before and have a hard time sometimes teaching. Just figuring out how to get the concept across so she can fully understand. Would any of that stuff help me with that?

Really want to help my daughter start picking stuff up, but never coached before and have a hard time sometimes teaching. Just figuring out how to get the concept across so she can fully understand. Would any of that stuff help me with that?

What concept?

The Coerver method, at the early ages, is for developing the skills of the individual player. At that age, our main focus is getting them comfortable with the ball at their feet and manipulating it with the different surfaces (inside, outside, toe, sole, laces), moving forward, stopping and changing directions. 

The program at that age is designed to get them thousands of touches on the ball in an hour. By our U8 group, they'll get a thousand touches on the ball in the first 8-10 minutes of practice. 

Take the entry-level coaching course offered by the FA or State Association (not sure if you're US or UK based) is, for my money, the best  way to start. There's a TON of information out there and probably the hardest part is sifting through all of it. 

I know there's always a desire to have the 5 year olds look like mini-Barca out there, 2-touch passing and moving, but the beginning of even that is likely halfway through their U8 year. At U6, lots of touches on the ball and start introducing 1v1 play (getting past a defender, taking the ball from an attacker). The other concern seems to be around developing "ball hogs"—it's much easier to teach them the value of passing to a teammate down the road than it is to teach them to be confident dribblers.  

• Like 1

Yay! We trail the bitters going into the Derby.

This week will be SO much fun here. We Rock!

Hail.

Proud of how we are playing so far. Only 7 games in, but nice to see a small club in amongst all of the ones spending gobs of money. Like how we are playing going into the derby, but we shall see, test of depth. Edited by MisterPinstripe

after seeing some of the videos with refs getting the crap kicked out of them, i'm not surprised that this dude is strapped. seems prudent, really.

Was just saying that.  And the ones who get stomped are sometimes the lucky ones.  There have been be-headings on the pitch.

Shameful that dudes who are trying to support their families (presumably, anyways) have to do that... for a game.