Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Sky is now substantiating the Colombian reports of Quintero to Arsenal for 15.8 million pounds FWIW

I'm also reading some whispers of a 40 million Euro release clause in his contract w/ Porto...

Having finally gotten around to watching the highlight montage and researching, my FWIW .....

Technically gifted player. (If very one footed.). Great dribbler. Good pace. Deadly from set pieces. Decent finish on him .....

Wouldn't touch him at all if I were Arsenal. He'd get kicked to **** over here and his slight frame would do well to take the punishment. He's the type of player that would look great in Italy or Spain or indeed his current 'adopted' Country Portugal where he's time on the ball, it's a much slower pace and he's allowed to play and showcase his ability. England is the polar opposite of that.

I think James Rodriguez has the potential, now he's on the biggest stage of all surrounded by top class players, to outshine them all and elevate himself into the Messi/ Ronaldo/ Suarez bracket as one of the best players in the World that can win a game on his own. But I wouldn't want to gamble on him in England. I don't think he'd be half as successful in the unique 100 mile an hour passion of England as he will in Spain where the pace suits his ability more.

Hail.  

Meh, I'll take the original from the last truly World class player, or top class come to that, Scotland produced, Gary McAllister. 

2001, our second treble winning season, and the game that turned the run-in. Easter Monday and a rip roaring Derby over the park at the Pit. 2-2 deep into injury time, after losing at home to Leeds on Easter Saturday and the season falling apart with Barca to come two days later in the UEFA Cup semi. Step forward Gary Mac and the rest as they say is history .....

'..... He's got no hair but we don't care, Gary, Gary Mac .....'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-bc0wWMNT0

The goals he followed that with on the run-in to the second treble spawned a legend immortalised in song:

Living Leg-end. Just wish we'd of signed him earlier in his career when Kenny tried when he was at Leicester. 

Hail. 

He was the heart of the Leeds side which won the League title under Howard Wilkinson on 1991/92. Brilliant on the ball, great vision and superb passer of the ball. He had Batty next to him for us doing the donkey work and his running for him. Very well respected and liked still at Elland Road even after a less than successful spell as manager. He is one of the few who get talked about alongside the greats from the 1970's.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 2

Having finally gotten around to watching the highlight montage and researching, my FWIW .....

Well it seems to be all for naught as Wenger pooh-poohed the rumors of Arsenal going after Quintero.

I will say though, that I think the slightness of frame you mentioned is a bit over-stressed. Look at your boys, Coutinho and Sterling...not exactly physical bangers. We've had Cazorla play very well. David Silva is easily one of the most influential attacking players in the entire league. I also think that AW's system, more than any in the PL, allows for smaller, technical players to shine.

That bad huh? He was looking better toward the end of last year but he's started this off back to his normal useless self. Sighs.

Two more sleeps.

Hail.

To clarify, as a defender, his positioning is top shelf, as is his technique in the air.  Uses his size well and that whole bit.

But in football and hockey, that's only 50% of a defenders job (for me), they MUST be able to "clear the zone" and get the ball up to attack or they're worthless.

It does you no good to make a great defensive play and then get possession and turn it over on your first or second touch.  You are merely prolonging the inevitable.  If he fixes that we have something.

I notice with Kelly, Agger, and Johnson, teams see these players with the ball and they rush to them to pressure.  They know that's a weakness.  They give space to Skrtel, Flanno, even Enrique because they know they are better on the ball.

Just what I look at, anyways.

Well it seems to be all for naught as Wenger pooh-poohed the rumors of Arsenal going after Quintero.

I will say though, that I think the slightness of frame you mentioned is a bit over-stressed. Look at your boys, Coutinho and Sterling...not exactly physical bangers. We've had Cazorla play very well. David Silva is easily one of the most influential attacking players in the entire league. I also think that AW's system, more than any in the PL, allows for smaller, technical players to shine.

Wasn't he going on about how Lukaku is just power and pace? There's no satisfying Goldilocks Hog Heaven.

• Like 1

Or they won't care and just promote from their youth ranks.

As a Saints fan, sad to see last years team gutted in this fashion but feared the worse when Pochettino left for Spurs.

As per your discussion at the start of the week, I thought you'd both find this well researched and well written article on the Beeb site interesting reading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28593032

Hail. 

@888sport
BREAKING: Brendan Rodgers on the verge of signing Marco Reus

I hope your married.  I just put the "clap" curse on you.  And the only way to avoid it is monogomy.  Hocus pocus mother ****er. :lol:

Ya'll... I'm going to be IN THE SAME stadium as Steve Gerrard, Ian Rush, King Kenny, Brendan Rodgers and everyone else today.

I am soooooo freaking excited. :D

#YNWA

• Like 3

I hope your married.  I just put the "clap" curse on you.  And the only way to avoid it is monogomy.  Hocus pocus mother ****er. :lol:

Ya'll... I'm going to be IN THE SAME stadium as Steve Gerrard, Ian Rush, King Kenny, Brendan Rodgers and everyone else today.

I am soooooo freaking excited. :D

#YNWA

WOOT! Our boy DC9 represents!

He's finally growing up and becoming a 'made man.' I'ma so proud. I taught him everything he knows.  :P. I just hope he doesn't try to live up to the reputation of the, uhmmmm, 'things' we used to get upto at the match or I'ma have to fly to Charlotte with a suitcase full of bail money.  :lol:.

**** it. We're in this competition we may as well win it right? Pre-season or not, it's more silverware. 

All the way to Miami on Monday. Start out with a trophy. End with # 19!

We are LIVERPOOL!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

As per your discussion at the start of the week, I thought you'd both find this well researched and well written article on the Beeb site interesting reading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28593032

Hail. 

It's interesting, but the players seem one-sided on the affair(s). Tapping up is nothing new, but if Shaw stands up and says he wants to go to Utd on the first day of the window and there's an offer already there. Makes you wonder.

Yes, it can go both ways. Agents are certainly allowed to fish around for interest in their clients.

• Like 1