Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Still lack a lot of attacking depth.

United bring in Kagawa.. we bring in Peterson.

I mean, I love and respect BR for his tactical prowess, but surely he is just saying things like "we don't need another striker" as leverage in transfer negotiations right?

Still don't think Ibe has completed a pass all night.

Eh preseason trophy but nice to get against your rival. It's simply about pride.

Barcelona wasn't in this tourny and Real didn't play tonight?

Oh wait... :P

Alright Ibe... let's do something positive here.

The first two since 2012-2013?

That ball from Hernadez was nice. 

Yeah that was a nice one. Good match fellas, even though it was a preseason game, but had a regular season feel.

Hey I'll take that trophy and the $1 million dollar check  :D

Van Gaal looks like he wanted to change the Moyes mentality during this tournament.  Looks like he's done that.

We'll see how it translates to the regular season.

Good game ya'll bunch of Oasis fans. 

Not impressed with Lambert. Love Coutino but he disappears from games randomly. Sterling's pace is top notch, but he lacks the raw desire to win/score at all costs that makes Suarez great. The Reds definitely need another top striker and at least one of the two defenders that we are rumored to be after. I'm okay with Flannagan on one side, but depth will be needed. Without Suarez, we are not going to be able to win 5-4 anymore...

This is the first game that I've seen sans Suarez, and it looks like his transfer fee was spent on utility players with potential. I'm not sure that'll keep them at the top of the table, but they will be fun to watch. Also, a grain of salt needs to be taken, as it is the preseason- just first impressions of the new squad.

Still don't think Ibe has completed a pass all night.

Barcelona wasn't in this tourny and Real didn't play tonight?

Oh wait... :P

I'm unsure if I should mention it but I have decided to put together my evil empire(My nickname for it lol) with Real. (This is after thinking about Saprissa to Dortmund so I took some real time) I have a jersey and scarf on its way from Spain actually right now(Wish shipping from Manchester was as cheap as Madrid) :P

I look forward to seeing what both clubs do in their leagues.  Utd seems to beginning to believe in itself after Moyes tenure.  Real comes off a champions league but most forget they were 3rd in Liga and almost saw their rival take the league.  Instead they saw their inter city rival take it.  Though one could argue they got revenge in the Final for it.  Should be interesting season in both leagues.  Especially if Suarez and Pepe cross paths lol.

Goals this year:

Man Utd- Get back to champions league.  We ain't taking the title or contending for it.  If nothing else Europa League just to get something.

Real-   It's gonna be a dog fight between A Madrid, Real, and Barca for the title.  Atletico got better with Mandzukic replacing Costa in my opinion.  Suarez, Messi, and Neymar will be nasty if Neymar can get back and Suarez wears a muzzle.  Real will have James coming in.  La Liga will be exciting this year.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Not impressed with Lambert. Love Coutino but he disappears from games randomly. Sterling's pace is top notch, but he lacks the raw desire to win/score at all costs that makes Suarez great. The Reds definitely need another top striker and at least one of the two defenders that we are rumored to be after. I'm okay with Flannagan on one side, but depth will be needed. Without Suarez, we are not going to be able to win 5-4 anymore...

This is the first game that I've seen sans Suarez, and it looks like his transfer fee was spent on utility players with potential. I'm not sure that'll keep them at the top of the table, but they will be fun to watch. Also, a grain of salt needs to be taken, as it is the preseason- just first impressions of the new squad.

Both Sterling and Coutinho need to evolve into 7-12 goal scorers if Liverpool are going to make another run. BR believes that Lovern will bring stability and leadership to the back 4. I assume we will see him paired with Sahko for the final 2 preseason contests. I hope that the re-re-re-re-renewed interest in Moreno is legitimate and he can win the starting leftback job. I'm okay with Flanno on the right, but wouldn't mind someone more offensive (Marquillo). I think the Reds still need to bring in a marquee, game-changing player. My dream transfer is Reus, but I'll take Isco or Vidal.

I'm not sure what's up with Reus.  I don't know if he hasn't decided whether he thinks Dortmund can rebuild from losing so much or if he truly wants out.  Amazing Isco might be on his way out that quick but I guess that shows the faith in James Rodriguez.  Closest thing to a game changing player lately has been RVP but that was one year and there's no guarantee he gets back to that level even if he did well at the world cup.

I'm not sure what's up with Reus.  I don't know if he hasn't decided whether he thinks Dortmund can rebuild from losing so much or if he truly wants out.  Amazing Isco might be on his way out that quick but I guess that shows the faith in James Rodriguez.  Closest thing to a game changing player lately has been RVP but that was one year and there's no guarantee he gets back to that level even if he did well at the world cup.

A little background on your new club they buy players to sell shirts. If you want an explanation as to why such a big club wins trophies so infrequently there's your answer. What are we looking at here a decade gap between Champions League wins and a title taken off of Barca once every few seasons with hundreds of millions spent on players every season? That's not a coincidence.

Both Sterling and Coutinho need to evolve into 7-12 goal scorers if Liverpool are going to make another run. BR believes that Lovern will bring stability and leadership to the back 4. I assume we will see him paired with Sahko for the final 2 preseason contests. I hope that the re-re-re-re-renewed interest in Moreno is legitimate and he can win the starting leftback job. I'm okay with Flanno on the right, but wouldn't mind someone more offensive (Marquillo). I think the Reds still need to bring in a marquee, game-changing player. My dream transfer is Reus, but I'll take Isco or Vidal.

Completely agree, though the young lads need to be 10+ goal scorers unless we get a vey legitimate forward. Even then, 9+ requires more than we have, imo.

As an aside, my wife brought up an Anfield trip for my 40th tonight. That's the crack I needed (TOOC here I come!)....

• Like 1

Give Lambert time. I honestly think he's trying too hard to get that first goal for his beloved club and it's affecting his whole game which has turned to ****. He needs one to go in off his ass and his confidence will be back up. Agreed on Coutinho. I muted this last year along the lines of can we afford to carry a luxury player (who's a top notch luxury when he's on his game); when we don't have top bracket players around him to compensate when he go's 'missing?' I would hope Sterling's not uoto Suarex's level as he's still a 19 year old kid with just 2 top flight seasons under his belt. But his progress since Christmas has been phenomenal and if he continues in this vein we could be in for a real special season from him. I fully expect him to be in double figures goals wise and the same or more in assists this term. 

With you on the summer signings. They've left me very apathetic. Lambert you can't argue with for the money and another option off the bench. Although his age isn't ideal. Lallana is WELL over priced to me and no better than what we already have. Can is an unknown quantity. He's looked bright pre-season but I'll reserve judgement to see how he copes with the 100 mile an hour madness of the BPL, And he's only 20 with one Bundesliga season under his belt let's not forget. I think it's highly optimistic to think he'll be a regular starter. At least for the foreseeable. Lovren didn't impress me much at all last year but then I only saw him in limited, small doses. I'm encouraged by Carragher saying he's got the makings of a future Liverpool captain and a real stout, no nonsense centre back. Jamie could be talking about himself there and if he's anything like JC:23, we've struck pay dirt and then some. Markovic is another completely unknown quantity. From what he's shown in limited friendly action, he's dead quick, strong and tricky. Again, how that will translate to the real stuff remains to be seen but it's a positive start. And Origi is a hopeful punt on a very raw kid who may or may not develop into something a few years down the line so it's pointless even looking at him at present. 

I would of liked a 'keeper this summer, although that was never going to happen 1 season into Mingolet. (And I am given pause on him by some Belgium friends who rate his potential and ability as top class so we'll see how he does in year 2.). Full backs a continued massive concern. If Flanagan doesn't start, I shall be very disappointed. He was our best FB by a Country mile last year. I appreciate the need for FB's to attack in BR system and understand where jobaga is coming from; but I'm SICK to the back teeth of Liverpool full backs that look great (or not in Johnson and Enrique's case) going forward but can't defend to save their lives. Jon can. He's just a flat out defender. Nothing flashy. Just a solid FB who does his job. He'd start the season for me no question. Hopefully one of the two Spaniards are a big enough upgrade to slot straight in opening day but again I honestly know nothing about either. I fully ex[ect Johnson to start which is downer to say the least. At least we've only one more year to go of his amateurish attempts to look like a competent footballer. Skrtel will start the year in the middle, which will please DC9 if nobody else.  ;). Hopefully for the rest of us which ever of Sakho and Lokren don't partner him soon replace him in the first XI. Stevie and Coutinho are a given in midfield, with probably Henderson initially. Sterling will be one side of Sturridge, with either Markovic or Lalllana the other I'd imagine. 

The key to it all I agree is getting a quality forward in before the end of the month. If we go into the season with only the heavilly injury prone Sturridge backes up by Lambert and the nowhere near good enough Borini then Rodgers wants ****ing. Who that man is I have no idea as theirs very few out there but we need to go all in on those that are. 

IF we add a quality # 2 striker, along with the Spanish FB's, I can honestly see us mounting a decent challenge again to the Champions and Chelsea. Our brand of football under BR is at times unplayable going forward and we'll win FAR more than we lose playing that way. The back end is still a big worry but a new front man and God willing, a lucky time with injuries and we'll be just fine. 

If we don't get that I can see us dropping back from last year. The top 4 place doesn't worry me. I don't see any realistic challenge from anyone outside Arsenal, Chelsea and Citeh there. But we could well step back from last year if there's no more additions. 

I'm looking at continued progression again this season. Establish that top 4 place. (With hopefully another decent push for the title.). Progression to the knock-out stages in the Champions League. Quarter final or there about's at least. And good domestic cup runs now the squad is deeper. 

The question on that is does he need to win silverware in year three? I personally believe he does. A league Cup at least. 3 years, no matter the progression, is a long time for a Liverpool manager to remain potless. 

Hail. 

Just seen brief highlights from last night .....

Shocking miss from Henderson at 0-0 with the free header 6 yards out.

How anyone is questioning the Sterling penalty is beyond ridiculous. That's as clear cut as you can get. Raheem skips past Jones and Jones dives in and takes his legs. Absolutely NO debate there.

As was the challenge by Herrera on Raheem just before HT. The referee **** out of giving another stonewall penalty and a good chance for L'pool to be 2 up at the break.

Far from blaming Mingilet on Rooney's we'll taken equaliser, I'm looking hard at Skrtel for giving him acres of space and not getting tight on Shrek.

Again with Mara's goal. Nothing Mingilet can do with the deflection. A LOT Sakho, Gerrard and Henderson, all within 3 or 4 yards of the Spaniard yet all stood ball watching, could of done. Very poor defending on both goals.

For the referee to have to be told by the lino the ball had gone out and hit the stantion and not the bar on Rooney's disallowed goal just compounded an inept performance.

Great finish by Lingaed for Utd's third from yet more of the same woeful defending from Liverpool. Kelly and Sketel stood like plums by the penalty spot marking nobody whilst 2 Utd players are free on the edge of the box and a further 2 completely unmarked in it. As good as Lingards goal was, he had all the time in the World to place his shot. Great hit mind.

Trophy looks as bad as last years.

Again, only brief highlights but I'm sorry ill' bro', your boy Skrtel let you down big time along with the rest of the inept Liverpool defending on the night.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

A little background on your new club they buy players to sell shirts. If you want an explanation as to why such a big club wins trophies so infrequently there's your answer. What are we looking at here a decade gap between Champions League wins and a title taken off of Barca once every few seasons with hundreds of millions spent on players every season? That's not a coincidence.

No club is perfect.  Utd sucked for how many years before their dominance over the EPL for awhile?  On that same note I think Manchester has done pretty well winning trophies for a big club.  Barca has been in prime form in recent times.  They had great talent and potential CL winners each year.  We'll see how the next few go.  Barca has some work to do on defense even if the attack will be sick.  Still hard to say Madrid is just a club selling shirts when its got as many titles as it does including La Decima. Barca has gotten the better end of things lately with the two CL titles and multiple La Liga but that's how a rivalry goes. 

Still don't know what this idea of a big club is.  What exactly defines one.  I would say Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Bayern, Barca, Real, Milan, Inter, etc are big because they have big followings.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Coutinho is a playmaker.  He needs to have someone on the end of a run to put a ball to.

Lambert's not run since he's been on the team.  We were yelling at Peterson on Saturday to start running because he wouldn't leave a 10 yard area on the top right of the box for almost the duration of his minutes.  Sterling was making creative runs early but he got tired quickly.

The lack of Suarez encourages the creativity of the youngsters, but we really need another striker.  Lambert isn't going to do anything in FA Cup or League Cup let alone the BPL or Champions league.

Go out and get Bony.  I don't care what it's going to cost right now.  Go out and get him.