Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I my mind, that is exactly what the advantage rule is. You allow a team their scoring opportunity until it is gone. If the team scores, great. If not, pull it back to the free kick (a PK in this instance). Granted, I did not see the play so I'm speaking in generalities. I think that this is how you use the advantage rule. You allow the team to finish the play (if the have a real chance to score) and then pull it back. PKs aren't guaranteed (see Daniel Sturridge) and the team should have every right to finish their play.

Have you ever seen a ref play advantage instead of a PK?

What gives the team more of an advantage, a PK where the keeper has to stay on his line and no defenders in the box, or an "advantage" where the keeper and defender are closing down the player.

The ref is supposed to give advantage if he sees the team gains more of an advantage by playing on instead of the FK. In the case of a PK no team gains more of an advantage by playing instead of getting a PK.

A PK is not guaranteed, but it is WAY more likely to score. Just makes no sense to me. If he was outside the box fine, but it was an obvious PK.

If you play advantage and the team has a chance on goal, you cant pull it back for a FK or PK after that. You have already given them that scoring chance. Every team would see a PK in that example being more advantageous to them.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Have you ever seen a ref play advantage instead of a PK?

What gives the team more of an advantage, a PK where the keeper has to stay on his line and no defenders in the box, or an "advantage" where the keeper and defender are closing down the player.

The ref is supposed to give advantage if he sees the team gains more of an advantage by playing on instead of the FK. In the case of a PK no team gains more of an advantage by playing instead of getting a PK.

A PK is not guaranteed, but it is WAY more likely to score. Just makes no sense to me. If he was outside the box fine, but it was an obvious PK.

If you play advantage and the team has a chance on goal, you cant pull it back for a FK or PK after that. You have already given them that scoring chance. Every team would see a PK in that example being more advantageous to them.

I have and I have also played in games where that has happened. It gets dicey because you can't let the play go on for ever and then pull it back. As I said, I did not see the play you a referring to so I can't speak to it. A good example of an advantage being played instead of just calling a PK is a player getting tripped up in the box, but the ball rolls out to one of his teammates in front of the goal. The advantage would allow him to shoot and then pull it back if he is unsuccessful. I don't believe in a hockey situation where you can keep the ball for an extended period of time until they get the perfect chance to score and then pull it back.

I have and I have also played in games where that has happened. It gets dicey because you can't let the play go on for ever and then pull it back. As I said, I did not see the play you a referring to so I can't speak to it. A good example of an advantage being played instead of just calling a PK is a player getting tripped up in the box, but the ball rolls out to one of his teammates in front of the goal. The advantage would allow him to shoot and then pull it back if he is unsuccessful. I don't believe in a hockey situation where you can keep the ball for an extended period of time until they get the perfect chance to score and then pull it back.

Not saying you are wrong, it just makes no sense to me. And it may be as simple as that haha...

The definitions I have been able to find as to the advantage rule are like what follows:

When the referee chooses to allow play to continue if an offense has been made against the team in possession of the ball, he enforces the advantage rule. He does this if the attacking team would be unnecessarily penalized if play were to be stopped.

I cant imagine a PK would be penalizing an attacking team in a pro league as the percentage of converted PKs is much higher than any other shot. If it was a kids league or something I could understand it as they are more likely to miss.

That type of definition is why it makes no sense to me. I could see if there is a PK and the ball is rolling in front of an empty net, with a player ready to tap it in, the ref delaying calling a penalty.

But I just go back to the definition. What is more advantageous for the attacking team, a PK or a player being closed down by a keeper and defender.

I do understand what you are saying, and will probably stop here. I guess it just comes down to logically to me it makes no sense based on the definition of the advantage rule.

Start at 5:51 in the video.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

No, luckily they scored.

But if is calling advantage on what should have been a PK, and they get a shot on goal that is either saved or shanked, he cant then just pull it back for a PK in my mind. He played advantage because they had an opportunity on goal which makes no sense in a PK situation.

Yeah, that was weird.

I've never seen anything like that come to think of it.  Was a card given at least?

I don't want to be the one to tell you, but you would have 12 men playing.

I don't think Kelly or Enrique are ready yet. I don't know if they will be the answer at either back. I still think he will start Johnson and Flanno. I love Lucas, but he is a bench player now. I love Emre Can. I think he will be a more skilled Hendo. My starting XI:

Mignolet

Flanno Lovern Sakho Johnson

Stevie G

Hendo Can

Sterling(Lallana) Coutinho(Markovic)

Sturridge(Lambert)

Count it again. There's 11 there with either Lucas/ Henderson or Lallana in one position.

And FWIW, before more signings, I fully expect the starting XI to be Mingolet; Johnson and Enrique at full back; Skrtle and Lovren in the middle; Stevie sat; Henderson and Coutinho; Markovic, Srerling and Sturridge.

Completely disagree Kelly's not ready, he's arguably the classiest most solid defender we have at either full back or his natural centre half position. His problem is staying fit.

Hail.

Completely disagree Kelly's not ready, he's arguably the classiest most solid defender we have at either full back or his natural centre half position. His problem is staying fit.

Hail.

Staying fit and the touch/accuracy on his passes, right?

I've got better touch with a running chainsaw than Kelly does with some of his passes. 

Count it again. There's 11 there with either Lucas/ Henderson or Lallana in one position.

And FWIW, before more signings, I fully expect the starting XI to be Mingolet; Johnson and Enrique at full back; Skrtle and Lovren in the middle; Stevie sat; Henderson and Coutinho; Markovic, Srerling and Sturridge.

Hail.

I misread your post. I thought you wanted Lallana, Lucas and Hendo all in front of Stevie. I should have know better…I figured 12 might be 11 in scouse.

I loved the Martin Kelly of two years ago. I don't think he is ready. I have seen some bad positioning from him (that goes for everyone who has played in the back 4) and, as DC stated, his touch and feel for the ball are still off. I expect him to take a little time to get back into game form. I hope he returns to his pre-injury form because I see him as a viable option at center back in the future.

I saw that earlier.

Do we need more guys like that tho? Isn't that why they didn't bring back Cesc?

Makes me think that the rumors of Santi being sold to Atleti are true. Quintero seems to thrive at the 10 spot, though. Will be interesting. Seems to be a very electric young player. Potential is very high. As long as the board are giving AW this much disposable income, the more the merrier, I say.

I'm still hoping that Khedira will be with Arsenal for this upcoming season, he would be the biggest acquisition of this offseason IMO for us. 

I'll take Khedira, S Bender, or William Carvalho. Give me 1 of the 3 and I'll be confident we'll compete for a top spot barring serious injuries.

Another arsenal fan? Please post more bro

How worried are you guys about the CBs??

I hear a lot of ppl bring that up but I think we're okay

BFG makes me nervous after his WC "performance" but I think as long as we don't leave ourselves susceptible to counters (as we did for most of the year), I feel confident we can keep up our tough defensive record, especially if we sign a defensive rock in the midfield. Per and Kos are very technically skilled at winning the ball back. They are truly a joy to watch when they are working well together. I feel the same way when I watch Cahill and Terry work together.

I still think we need to get younger in the back-up CB dept and I think Chambers might end up shifting there with Bellerin still on the up-and-up at RB.

Edited by RawBBQSauce

Sky is now substantiating the Colombian reports of Quintero to Arsenal for 15.8 million pounds FWIW

More now on tonight's reports from Colombia that Arsenal could be about to sign midfielder Juan Quintero from Porto. The 21-year-old, who came off the bench to score the winning goal against the Ivory Coast in World Cup Group C, is said to be preparing to fly to London and would cost in the region of £15.8million.

I'm also reading some whispers of a 40 million Euro release clause in his contract w/ Porto...

Edited by RawBBQSauce

That 40-yd free kick at 1:51 :blink:

Meh, I'll take the original from the last truly World class player, or top class come to that, Scotland produced, Gary McAllister. 

2001, our second treble winning season, and the game that turned the run-in. Easter Monday and a rip roaring Derby over the park at the Pit. 2-2 deep into injury time, after losing at home to Leeds on Easter Saturday and the season falling apart with Barca to come two days later in the UEFA Cup semi. Step forward Gary Mac and the rest as they say is history .....

'..... He's got no hair but we don't care, Gary, Gary Mac .....'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-bc0wWMNT0

The goals he followed that with on the run-in to the second treble spawned a legend immortalised in song:

Living Leg-end. Just wish we'd of signed him earlier in his career when Kenny tried when he was at Leicester. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Beautiful goal! Thanks for sharing GHH. The occassion certainly adds a bit to it. Still, that Quintero free-kick is just incredible to watch because the ball never dips, it just stays on this beautiful trajectory like a freakin' rocket being launched out of a RPG.

Beautiful goal! Thanks for sharing GHH. The occassion certainly adds a bit to it. Still, that Quintero free-kick is just incredible to watch because the ball never dips, it just stays on this beautiful trajectory like a freakin' rocket being launched out of a RPG.

Couple of great more free kicks at the end of this short tribute from Gary Mac. The Coventry one when he bends it in the side Kirklands standing ..... Truly World class footballer. Quality, classy midfielder. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

I'm fixing to go mano-a-mano with you out back Crimbo time and kick yers lame Ranger ass scally style!

Hail.

Hey, I will concede he's not as bad as Joe Allen was yesterday. Lord, that boy had about 5 straight possessions where he was the turnover point.

Hey, I will concede he's not as bad as Joe Allen was yesterday. Lord, that boy had about 5 straight possessions where he was the turnover point.

That bad huh? He was looking better toward the end of last year but he's started this off back to his normal useless self. Sighs.

Two more sleeps.

Hail.