Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

On a completely different subject, I would like to see Sterling get a real number. I would also like to see him get his own song. GHH, why don't you get some of the Scoucers in the Kop working on songs for Sturbridge and Sterling?

*Scousers. But it sounds the same however you say it. 

Diplomatically done. I shall let others blunder on and make a public ass of themselves and get back to the thread at hand .....

Some lads tried a Sturridge song Sunday but it never quite took off. Sterling is a good point. That needs fixing. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

What do you think it's a result of? I know exactly the type of supporters he is referring to and they wouldn't be invited to watch a United game at my house but the fact that they exist and they are as obnoxious as they are means we are doing something right. Once again, if United become a sympathetic favorite to win the title in a couple of decades things have gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I get what your saying to an extent - other fans don't like it when one team is as dominant as Utd were for so long. But Liverpool were as dominat for as long and the attitude to their teams and club was very different. I'm a Leeds fan and not many other teams or fans liked Leeds or their fans because of the way we won and the us against the world attitude of our manager (Don Revie) that transmitted itself to the players and the fans . Ferguson had some of that as well. But we did not care and neither should you.

It is what it is and it's not really worth a debate let alone an argument.

• Like 1

*Scousers. But it sounds the same however you say it.

Diplomatically done. I shall let others blunder on and make a public ass of themselves and get back to the thread at hand .....

Some lads tried a Sturridge song Sunday but it never quite took off. Sterling is a good point. That needs fixing.

Hail.

That's what I get for trying to post on my phone while sitting at a red light (and maybe a little while moving). Thanks for not pointing out the Sturridge mistake...

PS...You can fight with SJ about United over the transfer window. Right now should be about the potential return to glory and this weekend's very important match with Chelsea's bus.

PSS...How pissed do you think Carra is right now?

PSSS...I would much rather have 23 out there than Toure.

I think the animosity for Man U is due, in significant part, to Ferguson. He was arrogance personified ... not confident and aggressive, but an arrogant, entitled prick.

And it transcends into the modern day support. As we keep reading in glorious technicolour.

Best way to equate is Dallas Stateside.

Hail.

Apparently you don't as I was referring to you and certain things you've posted the last 24 hours. 

Wooo there man. 

Whilst Martin was a little more direct, I acknowledged it was boring as all Hell to watch. But that's been the staple for an away performance in Europe the past 60 odd years of European Competition. Keep it tight, maybe nick an away goal. Professional job done. 

Hate to watch it, but bottom line it's a high stakes results business for these guys. Rafa was the worst for it. His philosophy, even in domestic games, was you start with a point so you defend it and anything else is a bonus. It soured me a lot and I stopped going regularly, loaning out my S/T and picking and chossing games.

But if I wanted one man to set a team up to get a result in Europe, I'd take Benitez over Guardiola. Sad as that is.

Hail.  

OK, fair enough.  I admit, I got a little carried away.

My point overall is this - I am openly rooting for Liverpool to win the title (and when the do, I'll show you my post made pre-season that said they would have a good chance to do it) because of the way they play.  Pool plays at home vs Fulham, full steam ahead.  They play @ManCity, full steam ahead. Yes, the tactics are slighty modified, but Pool NEVER, NEVER, NEVER plays bunker ball, with the coach parked in front of the net.  Even when they last won the UCL, they played open and good soccer for the entire time (and that glorious 15 minutes).  I hate that Mou/Chelski have brough back the old days of put everyone behind the ball, play for 0-0 on the road and nick and 1-0 at home.  Many folks may like this (and more may understand this), but I hate it.  I want to see good soccer, played by folks like Gerrard, Suarez, etc (among others).

OK, fair enough.  I admit, I got a little carried away.

My point overall is this - I am openly rooting for Liverpool to win the title (and when the do, I'll show you my post made pre-season that said they would have a good chance to do it) because of the way they play.  Pool plays at home vs Fulham, full steam ahead.  They play @ManCity, full steam ahead. Yes, the tactics are slighty modified, but Pool NEVER, NEVER, NEVER plays bunker ball, with the coach parked in front of the net.  Even when they last won the UCL, they played open and good soccer for the entire time (and that glorious 15 minutes).  I hate that Mou/Chelski have brough back the old days of put everyone behind the ball, play for 0-0 on the road and nick and 1-0 at home.  Many folks may like this (and more may understand this), but I hate it.  I want to see good soccer, played by folks like Gerrard, Suarez, etc (among others).

No coincidence that when Pool last won the UCL they knew exactly how to get results away from home. I remember Mourinho took particular offense to this in the semi final.

I think the animosity for Man U is due, in significant part, to Ferguson. He was arrogance personified ... not confident and aggressive, but an arrogant, entitled prick.

Not so much for me.  I may not like SAF, but I certainly respect what he has done for his club and its fans.  If his scowl got an extra 30 seconds added on to a match so they could score, that is the fault of the 4th official, not him.  He was undoubdetly one of the best managers, for any sport, during his time.  I don't like him a bit, but I can see his worth.

For me, I hated the ManU supporters the most.  Many of them were plastic fans who just jumped on the bandwagon (like Yankee fans in the US) and rode it.  They were/are so arrogant and self-absorbed that they can't recognize that any other team may be better than them

Good luck to ManU in the Europa qualifying campaign, playing against some team from trapsinskiadonarykiefurdstan.  We will all be lauging AT you, not with you.

Not so much for me.  I may not like SAF, but I certainly respect what he has done for his club and its fans.  If his scowl got an extra 30 seconds added on to a match so they could score, that is the fault of the 4th official, not him.  He was undoubdetly one of the best managers, for any sport, during his time.  I don't like him a bit, but I can see his worth.

For me, I hated the ManU supporters the most.  Many of them were plastic fans who just jumped on the bandwagon (like Yankee fans in the US) and rode it.  They were/are so arrogant and self-absorbed that they can't recognize that any other team may be better than them

Good luck to ManU in the Europa qualifying campaign, playing against some team from trapsinskiadonarykiefurdstan.  We will all be lauging AT you, not with you.

That's what comes with a club being successful. It would be nice if Old Trafford could be filled every week with supporters who have been following the club no later than 1990 but that's just the nature of the beast. Also enjoy your laugh but United had qualified 19 years running so there's not much we need to be ashamed of on this end, especially with the managerial change.

We'll never be as arrogant as Bayern fans.  Those fans tick me off.  Comments of "If you can't beat them join em" and "Oh look we won the league again without breaking a sweat." Note the realize they joined is you threw a ba jillion dollars at them to come because they beat you. That's exactly why they wanted Gotze and Lewandowski.  To weaken a team that was going head to head and beating them.  It's the reason despite having ancestor path to the Munich area I've followed Dortmund as far as Germany goes.  A fanbase just happy to have success.  Which is amazing thing when you have a team like Bayern hanging over the league stealing all the players from other clubs.  When Man City and Bayern won titles it was like they bought them.  Atleast when Utd won it last year it was because they just made it work.  It wasn't that they went out and spent ridiculous amounts of money on a bunch of players.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

We'll never be as arrogant as Bayern fans.  Those fans tick me off.  Comments of "If you can't beat them join em" and "Oh look we won the league again without breaking a sweat." Note the realize they joined is you threw a ba jillion dollars at them to come because they beat you. That's exactly why they wanted Gotze and Lewandowski.  To weaken a team that was going head to head and beating them.  It's the reason despite having ancestor path to the Munich area I've followed Dortmund as far as Germany goes.  A fanbase just happy to have success.  Which is amazing thing when you have a team like Bayern hanging over the league stealing all the players from other clubs.  When Man City and Bayern won titles it was like they bought them.  Atleast when Utd won it last year it was because they just made it work.  It wasn't that they went out and spent ridiculous amounts of money on a bunch of players.

I believe that Arsenal fans would disagree with this statement...

Mild rant, and no disrespect intended to folks who actually follow their clubs.

A coworker of mine who is rather new, started up maybe 6 months ago, told me about how much of a Manchester United fan he was.  I've had some discussions with him but nothing too in depth since when I said I liked Blackburn he kind of gave me a blank stare like I made up a club.  Today I saw him for the first time since Moyes was fired and I smiled and said "Moyes' reign of terror is over, huh?".  He responded, "Who?". Thinking he may not have heard me I said, "David Moyes."  He looked at me confused.  Then I said, "United's manager."  He said, "Oh," and shrugged and shook his head.

I'm sorry man, but you don't even know the manager of the team you profess to love ever so much.  That kind of fandom annoys me.  Sorry for the rant. 

End rant.

A coworker of mine who is rather new, started up maybe 6 months ago, told me about how much of a Manchester United fan he was. I've had some discussions with him but nothing too in depth since when I said I liked Blackburn he kind of gave me a blank stare like I made up a club. Today I saw him for the first time since Moyes was fired and I smiled and said "Moyes' reign of terror is over, huh?". He responded, "Who?". Thinking he may not have heard me I said, "David Moyes." He looked at me confused. Then I said, "United's manager." He said, "Oh," and shrugged and shook his head.

I'm sorry man, but you don't even know the manager of the team you profess to love ever so much. That kind of fandom annoys me. Sorry for the rant.

End rant.

To be fair there will be quite a few senior employees and directors at Man United who might say "who" right now if you asked about David Moyes. I think he will be quickly airbrushed out of Utd history :-)

I do get what you are saying though - it's fine being a a 'casual' fan who takes a passing interest but just don't then claim to be a die hard fan.

Edited by MartinC

I believe that Arsenal fans would disagree with this statement...

Arsenal can disagree all they want.  We needed a good forward.  It's not like we just hurled money at every player on the market.  Real Madrid and Bayern are the clubs known for waiting for players to be developed and then stealing them away.  Dortmund, Barcelona, Man Urd, Liverpool, and Arsenal are clubs known to use the youth system and develop their players.  Not to say any of these who make a big splash but they do try to develop their players rather than buy a bunch and try to make it work.  Dortmund may become more of the Bayern type because they have to.  The rest of the german teams are now spending more because Bayern absolutely dwarfed the league in spending for players.  The chart was insane.  It was like a person standing next to the Effiel Tower. 

when Madrid knocks out Bayern next week, people are going to finally talk about the number Guardiola did on the best team in Europe who played the most exciting football now looking like this.

Good lord, Manchester United fans have to be the most deluded group of people on planet Earth. LOL at really believing this nonsense.

Acting like United never bought a title. "Because they just made it work" HAHAHAHAHA. Read this post and realize you are a Manhester United fan.

This is the Manchester United fan's mentality:

A United fan since birth, Moran has been used to supporting a winning team his entire life. It's been difficult adjusting to the Moyes era, he admitted. "I've gone off football a little bit," he said. Because loyalty has gone out of the game? Apparently not: "Because we're losing."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/22/no-tears-some-sympathy-david-moyes-old-trafford

United spent the most money in England for nearly a decade, unrivaled, and then started to complain about money because Roman and Sheikhs showed up and spent more money. All this "pain" you have all had to deal with has been hilarious because United fans have shown what they really are about. Clowns.

• Like 1

when Madrid knocks out Bayern next week, people are going to finally talk about the number Guardiola did on the best team in Europe who played the most exciting football now looking like this.

Good lord, Manchester United fans have to be the most deluded group of people on planet Earth. LOL at really believing this nonsense.

Acting like United never bought a title. "Because they just made it work" HAHAHAHAHA. Read this post and realize you are a Manhester United fan.

This is the Manchester United fan's mentality:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/22/no-tears-some-sympathy-david-moyes-old-trafford

United spent the most money in England for nearly a decade, unrivaled, and then started to complain about money because Roman and Sheikhs showed up and spent more money. All this "pain" you have all had to deal with has been hilarious because United fans have shown what they really are about. Clowns.

And?  Our last title has very little do with high profile names.  We got a striker who had a good year and we were the most consistent.  Honestly lately the league isn't about being necessary the best overall team.  Just the most consistent.  And maybe a little luck on the side.  City basically bought the title the year they won it.  I'd love to see anyone argue other wise.  Funny though they just barely bought it.  You act as though all our dominance was through money spent.  As I remember we've developed some players over those years (some of which are still great players to this today.  One of them happens to be a favorite of mine even though we sent him to another club years ago.). 

For note Pep had nothing to do with bayern's issues yesterday.  They had 70% of ball.  It was their failure to make the final pass that killed them.  Besides poor touches they dominated the entire game and but allowed one counter to beat them.  Plus Madrid's defense was solid.  I'd love to know what exactly Pep did so bad to bayern?  I mean they only walked straight to the Semis and won the Bunda quicker than any German club ever. But what do I know?  I'm just a disilliusional Man Utd supporter hoping to gain just a bit of knowledge from the Almighty Joe

btw- I guess it would be fine if I lump in all the Liverpool supporters with the ones that burned the US flag a few years back right?  I mean they all wear the gear right? 

A coworker of mine who is rather new, started up maybe 6 months ago, told me about how much of a Manchester United fan he was.  I've had some discussions with him but nothing too in depth since when I said I liked Blackburn he kind of gave me a blank stare like I made up a club.  Today I saw him for the first time since Moyes was fired and I smiled and said "Moyes' reign of terror is over, huh?".  He responded, "Who?". Thinking he may not have heard me I said, "David Moyes."  He looked at me confused.  Then I said, "United's manager."  He said, "Oh," and shrugged and shook his head.

I'm sorry man, but you don't even know the manager of the team you profess to love ever so much.  That kind of fandom annoys me.  Sorry for the rant. 

End rant.

Kind of like the Cowboys fans I see at FedEx when we are playing the Eagles... while the Cowboys are playing the Giants.

Like... wtf are you doing?

Or no ****... back in 2005 I saw a guy with a Cowboys hat the day after the Midnight Miracle and I said  "I admire you for wearing that hat today" and winked at him.  He looked at me sort of puzzled like and said "What do you mean?"  I explained that we ripped their still beating hearts out of their bodies and held it in front of their faces, just so they could see how black it was before they died, and he said something to the effect of "Oh, well isn't Irvin hurt?".  I just walked away after that.

I eluded to the entitlement a few pages back, and to me that's the most hilarious thing about it.  We'll see how loyal they are as supporters after a couple of years of middle of the table or Europa football.

Maybe skating through Bundesliga isn't preparing them well enough for Champion's League.  That's why La Liga was almost unwatchable the last few years for me.

Edited by DC9

@RichmondRedskin

United benefited from UEFA's criminal sanctions in the late 80's/early 90's because while some of the First Division's best players got the heck out while the getting was good in order to have the opportunity to compete in European tournaments, United received a financial backing and were able to buy quality players when almost everyone else was losing them. That being said, the sustained success throughout the 90's and early 2000s had as much to do with three kids by the name of Scholes, Giggs and Beckham as it did with our financial muscle that netted us players like Roy Keane and Andy Cole. Also Leeds were nice enough to eagerly sell their best player rather than telling Lee Chapman to grow a set or take a hike. (Cantona shtooped Lee Chapman's wife) During Fergie's reign the Premier League evolved into Europe's best once again and other team's rose to prominence but every time we got punched in the mouth we got back up and reclaimed the league time after time despite the financial tables being turned on us. The fans that this drew aren't members of the family I'm proud of but even Fredo had his role to play in the family and in their case they are here to annoy the socks off supporters of other teams who hate United because of our status as the dominant force in English football. Wenger was supposed to put an end to our reign and he was overcome to the tune of the most famous treble in the history of English football, Mourinho and Abramovich were supposed to put an end to our reign and they were overcome to the tune of three straight titles and another Champions League trophy. City's oil money was supposed to bring us down but the following season we won the league running away.

So now we can forgive our fellow football fans for their foaming at the mouth fantasies of yet another United demise but only time will tell if what Sir Alex built is still sustainable. 13 titles in such a short span is a feat that will never be repeated, especially in a league with such depth of title contenders, but the arrogance of presuming United will just go away is just as asinine as presuming we have a divine right for success. The fact is what Fergie left behind is one of the three biggest clubs in the world and it would have taken a level of incompetence that rivals Fergie's brilliance to make us go away to the extent that has everyone wetting their trousers. Are we going to win the title next or year or the year after? That would be incredibly difficult, but it isn't arrogance to expect United to return to their status as annual title challengers before two and a half decades pass because we have the reputation, the money and the history to withstand the adversity.

Edited by SJValleySkinz

Exactly.  What they make out to be arrogance is confidence.  The fact that no matter what gets thrown at us we find ways to prevail.  This goes back to my comment about the "Magical Manchester United" you hear announcers say during games all the time.  True our magic has gone way this year but this club doesn't stay down.  Also I just want to make sure we throw out Ronaldo's name too. He will always be a legend of Manchester.  You know they still sing his song at games about him running down the sidelines?  I wouldn't mind him winning the CL this year to just to top of his legend status.  Hard to believe we watched that player step on to the field at 18 with SAF leading him to the ref to enter his first game. 

We'll never be as arrogant as Bayern fans......

Did you honestly just write that with a straight face?

Seriously? You have a glaring example of that arrogance and entitlement the past few pages who sees it as a right down to recent success and you come up with that?

Come on Richmond man. United fans aren't despised in their own driving Country through others jealousy of success. They're despised for everything you dislike Bayern fans for.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Did you honestly just write that with a straight face?

Seriously? You have a glaring example of that arrogance and entitlement the past few pages who sees it as a right down to recent success and you come up with that?

Come on Richmond man. United fans aren't despised in their own driving Country through others jealousy of success. Their despised for everything you dislike Bayern fans for.

Hail.

I find Bayern fans annoying because they can't accept how their club does business.  Intimidation tactics and insane spending which is truly unmatched.  Yet they pretend their club doesn't totally use corrupt tactics to get players they want one way or another.  Anytime someone brings it up they cover their ears.  Do we have a monopoly over the entire league? NO.  There's multiple teams fighting for the championship.  That club weakens the entire league as a whole yet refuses to accept it.  I have atleast like 7 Bayern friends and my lord if they aren't annoying.  One is Bayern and Liverpool fan.  Funny thing is we didn't realize it until recently because he never said a single thing about either.  One only cares about Bayern because of Schweinsteiger.  Literally the only reason.  The other is from Nuremburg ( I mean born there!!) but roots for Bayern.   Why do you think when I found out I had Bavarian roots I still couldn't get myself to jump behind them?