Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread


Sticksboi05
 Share

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Anyone else would like to see games decided by sudden death overtime?  I am tired of seeing major games and tournaments decided by penalty shootouts.  Then again, I'm sure the players would be more tired, and games may last forever, so I can see the reasoning.

If they are going to finish like that.  I would prefer 7 on 7 set pieces for five tries. 

 

Or start some set of 10 minute Golden Goal periods where they go from 9 on 9 and then take teams down to 7 on 7.  Reset the subs so teams can cycle players during the Golden goal time. 

 

Gut wrenching ending for England, but after going up 2 min, you can't expect to just sit back and hold the lead.  The Italian equalizer was coming since the 40' and England never got their front foot forward after that.  Questionable tactics to sit back.  

 

I really hate seeing the players take off their silver medals.  Every other team save the winner is happy with the result. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kane took the first kick for England didn't he?

 

Anyways, Italy were the strongest side the entire tournament and deserved to win.

 

Southgate threw hard for the lads. Played way too passively after the early lead and then waited way too long to bring in attacking players. At least let them get their feet wet in extra time first.

 

With that said, I think England have a legit shot to win the World Cup next year with this squad. The kids have some experience now. But I'd look into getting a new manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Kane took the first kick for England didn't he?

 

Anyways, Italy were the strongest side the entire tournament and deserved to win.

 

Southgate threw hard for the lads. Played way too passively after the early lead and then waited way too long to bring in attacking players. At least let them get their feet wet in extra time first.

 

With that said, I think England have a legit shot to win the World Cup next year with this squad. The kids have some experience now. But I'd look into getting a new manager.

 

 

Oh right I meant Sterling or Grealish who's more experienced. But I guess neither of those two are great choices either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@stevemcqueen1

Grealish showed when he was on the field -- the 20 mins or so he was.  They had a few more offensive chances. England has sat back and rested on their defense, I think it was a mistake not to add more offensive firepower like Grealish, Sancho and Rashford in the first of of ET... Sterling was gassed at that point.  I get they were afraid of a dynamic Italy attack, but Italy has used a lot of energy to equalize and England should have had more energy in the end.  Also, no Chiesa... 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Anyone else would like to see games decided by sudden death overtime?  I am tired of seeing major games and tournaments decided by penalty shootouts.  Then again, I'm sure the players would be more tired, and games may last forever, so I can see the reasoning.

They could allow 3 more substitutions only during OT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/soccer/england-eng/story/4431389/england-fa-condemn-racist-abuse-aimed-at-rashfordsakasancho-after-euro-shootout-loss

 

No blame for the manager? That was a dumb lineup. Those players had too much testosterone in them. Need calmed nerves for shootout. This is why everyone was rooting against England. This type of reaction from it's fans. Granted I think every other country would've had this same reaction from it's fans if it happened to them the same way. 

Edited by Florgon79
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Italy, they were the better side over the course of the game, but that was still a brutal way to lose a final.

 

I'm so proud of the team and management for how they conducted themselves during the tournament. The booing of the oppositions' National Anthems was disrespectful and embarrassing, but the way some fans translated the disappointment of losing into violence and hate was absolutely sickening.

 

Football's not coming home, it's going to Rome, and they deserve it a lot more than we do right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of everything Southgate did, taking off (Henderson) a solid penalty taker that has played in three European club finals, after bringing him on a sub, is something I’ve never seen a manager do in the 30 years I’ve been watching soccer. Rashford was unlucky, but Sancho and Saka looked like they wanted the ground to come up and swallow them before they even took the shot. There was a 10 minute period after England’s goal that Italy were completely rattled, and I had a feeling not scoring a second when Italy was right there for the taking would come back to haunt England. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Out of everything Southgate did, taking off (Henderson) a solid penalty taker that has played in three European club finals, after bringing him on a sub, is something I’ve never seen a manager do in the 30 years I’ve been watching soccer. Rashford was unlucky, but Sancho and Saka looked like they wanted the ground to come up and swallow them before they even took the shot. There was a 10 minute period after England’s goal that Italy were completely rattled, and I had a feeling not scoring a second when Italy was right there for the taking would come back to haunt England. 

I love him as our captain, but Jordan Henderson has a terrible penalty record. In fact, he has only netted one in his entire career. He would probably be no better than tenth in line to take one for Liverpool. I understand what Southgate was doing, but using kids, and Rashford, who has had some penalty issues in the recent past, rather than Grealish or Sterling, heck even Phillips or Shaw, was startling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

I love him as our captain, but Jordan Henderson has a terrible penalty record. In fact, he has only netted one in his entire career. He would probably be no better than tenth in line to take one for Liverpool. I understand what Southgate was doing, but using kids, and Rashford, who has had some penalty issues in the recent past, rather than Grealish or Sterling, heck even Phillips or Shaw, was startling.

In this situation if he has good technique when striking a ball and he has the stomach for it, and he checks both boxes, I’d rather have him up there. Maguire has never, and probably will never take a penalty during a match, but he took a penalty Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard would have been proud of. We know hitting the corner of the goal from 11 meters with force isn’t a difficult skill, but Henderson doesn’t strike me as a player who would see the mirage an 8 foot goalie in front of a 3 foot goal in that spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Real president insults Cristiano Ronaldo to the bone in leaked audio tapes: ‘He’s an imbecile’ | Foreign footbal

He is crazy. This man is an idiot, an imbecile, a sick man,” says Perez on the October 2012 tapes of Ronaldo.

In addition to Ronaldo, Jose Mourinho, who was coach of . between 2010 and 2013 Los Blancos, believe in it. “These are guys with a huge ego,” says Pérez about Mourinho and Mendes.

And also from another Portuguese no chip is left:Fábio Coentrão… He’s a piece of ****. Real Madrid eat these guys, especially with an idiot like Mourinho. Fabio is not quite normal.........

 

Edited by FrFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Unbelievable.    Signed with them since 12. 

This is due to the salary restrictions, Fair Play... correct?

 

He wouldn't retire, would he?

I guess, last time I checked they had 1.2 billion in debts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Unbelievable.    Signed with them since 12. 

This is due to the salary restrictions, Fair Play... correct?

 

He wouldn't retire, would he?

 

The short version is that the previous board particularly, but really Barca in general, splashed transfer fees and wages like a drunken sailor. They got away with it because Barcelona also brought in obscene amounts of money, kind of the reverse of the old Patrick Ewing quote.

 

The pandemic year blew that up and La Liga has an internal financial fair play rule that says that clubs that lost money in the previous year need to cut 4 dollars of wages for every new dollar they spend. Apparently many leagues have similar rules but relaxed them because of the unique circumstances, but the president of La Liga says they aren't going to budge.

 

Messi is considered a new signing because they let his previous contract expire, so even though he's apparently agreed to a 70% wage cut, they can't fit him in.

 

There's more going on including the Superleague, as well as an investment firm La Liga tried to bring in that would infuse enough cash for Barca (and the other teams in La Liga) to sign Messi, but would sign over something like 11% of all revenues for 50 years. Barca, Madrid, and Athletic Bilbao at least oppose this.

 

Ultimately, I can't tell if this is Laporta (the new Barca President) playing chicken with Tebas (president of La Liga) in order to get them to relax the rules (because letting Messi go is going to cost ALL the teams in La Liga a lot of money), or if this is a done deal, but it's certainly a mess.

 

 

 

 

Edited by techboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Latest rumor is Messi to PSG... Neymar, Messi, Mbappe... 

 

It would be odd to see Segio Ramos on the same club with Messi also.

With or witout him, the Evil empire will fail again to win  the champions league ;)

Rumors saying they offered him a 3 years contract worth 50 mil per year !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...