Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

FIFA Suspends Spanish Soccer Federation Chief Involved in Post-Game Kiss

FIFA, the soccer world’s governing body, said on Saturday that it had provisionally suspended Luis Rubiales, president of Spain’s soccer federation, amid an investigation that he forcibly kissed the player Jennifer Hermoso after Spain’s Women’s World Cup victory last Sunday.

In a statement, FIFA said that Mr. Rubiales would be suspended “from all football-related activities” at national and international levels for an initial period of 90 days, starting Saturday. The body also ordered both Mr. Rubiales and the soccer federation he chairs to refrain from contacting Ms. Hermoso, a star forward on Spain’s winning national team.

The decision came less than a day after Spain’s soccer federation said it would stand by Mr. Rubiales, who has insisted he did nothing wrong to Ms. Hermoso, and threatened legal action to protect the reputation of its president.

Mr. Rubiales’s kiss at the Women’s World Cup medals ceremony last weekend in Australia — broadcast live to millions — cast a pall over the Spanish team’s celebrations, drawing attention away from a proud national moment and toward a legacy of sexism scandals in Spanish soccer.

“I felt vulnerable and the victim of an impulse-driven, sexist, out-of-place act without any consent on my part,” Ms. Hermoso said in a statement on Friday, adding that she had initially faced pressure to downplay Mr. Rubiales’s actions.

Click on the link for the full article

Spanish Prosecutors Open Inquiry Into Soccer Official Who Kissed Player

Spanish prosecutors said on Monday that they had opened an investigation into whether Luis Rubiales, the president of the country’s soccer federation, could be charged with committing an act of sexual aggression after he kissed one of the female team’s players on the lips when they won the World Cup this month.

Opposition has steadily grown in response to Mr. Rubiales’s conduct and his strident defense of it, and the group he heads, known formally as Royal Spanish Football Federation, has found itself under increasing pressure to take action. The group was meeting later Monday to discuss the issue.

Mr. Rubiales was shown on video after the World Cup final in Sydney on Aug. 20 kissing one of the team’s star players, Jennifer Hermoso, and although he apologized the day after, he then took a defiant stand later in the week.

He said Ms. Hermoso had lifted him off his feet and “moved me close to her body,” accusing his critics of “false feminism” and saying he was the victim of “social assassination.” Ms. Hermoso countered in a statement, “At no time did I consent to the kiss that he gave me.”

Click on the link for the full article

On 8/23/2023 at 10:03 PM, ixcuincle said:

What is going on in Miami with Messi is astounding.

Not really, imo. Messi is (arguably) the GOAT, Busquets was the best #6 in the world for the better part of a decade, and Jordi Alba one of the best RB/wing players for a good while. Add in a good manager like Tata, and it really is no surprise they are tearing up a mediocre league. These are the first guys to come to the MLS with a little bit of gas left in their tank, and they’re all playing on the same side. 

This could actually be good for MLS if they play another couple years. It will show the league how far they are behind Europe, and possibly force teams, and the league,to rethink how they are doing things.

BTW, HOW ABOUT THOSE REDS!

Nun-ez! Nun-ez!

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

BTW, HOW ABOUT THOSE REDS!

Nun-ez! Nun-ez!

I stopped watching the game once Van Dijik got the red card thinking the game was done lol.  I'm a Man United fan and I was happy to see that red card and the possbility of Liverpool to lose.

Edited by Maxito

24 minutes ago, Maxito said:

I stopped watching the game once Van Dijik got the red card thinking the game was done lol.  I'm a Man United fan and I was happy to see that red card and the possbility of Liverpool to lose.

Just relax man and don’t worry about Liverpool.

Here are some flip flops to wear when you’re relaxing.

IMG_3698.jpeg

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Good for Darwin Nunez.  Last season was a rough one. Maybe its because at his position he gets so many chances, I recall him missing a lot of chances.  Those strikes were not easy either... 

Not too worried. First season in the PL can be tough, but he showed that he knows how to get into positions to score. I think the goals will come, and he’s still just turned 24. 15 goals all comps last year is a solid outlay. 2 goals in 46 minutes so far this season. With 5 top players along their forward 3, LFC will be doing a good amount of rotation…Darwin will get his share.

Also, a chance that Salah may leave next summer for the riches and adulation of the Saudi league. That would mean much more time on the pitch for Darwin Nunez.

On 8/28/2023 at 9:06 PM, Corcaigh said:

Just relax man and don’t worry about Liverpool.

Here are some flip flops to wear when you’re relaxing.

IMG_3698.jpeg

angry-thiago-mad.gif

yeah didn't even finish watching that game! 

Edited by Maxito

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seeing the Liverpool - Manchester United game, it seems like Manchester United is playing for the tie.  They can't beat the press, get out of their defensive field, and play sloppy.  I am already on the bandwagon on Fire Ten Hag.  Anthony over Rashford! Really? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Brixtion_skin said:

I can understand the grind getting to a top manager. He has made more money than he will spend in his lifetime (currently >$50m per year).

Aside from spending every waking minute trying to improve in an incredibly demanding job, he has to deal with unsupportive management, idiot press and public, and opponents breaking rules so that it’s not an even playing field.

Speaking of the press, until I spent time on YouTube I never realized how much responsibility the managers have for pre-game and post-game interviews where the most inane and pointless questions are asked.

Many, many top managers find it’s just not worth it. Success just brings more pressure from all sides. When you have many tens of millions in the bank, why tolerate the disrespect.

Even Xavi is quitting Barcelona because of how he is treated. If anyone should be given a little slack, he should:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

I can understand the grind getting to a top manager. He has made more money than he will spend in his lifetime (currently >$50m per year).

Aside from spending every waking minute trying to improve in an incredibly demanding job, he has to deal with unsupportive management, idiot press and public, and opponents breaking rules so that it’s not an even playing field.

Speaking of the press, until I spent time on YouTube I never realized how much responsibility the managers have for pre-game and post-game interviews where the most inane and pointless questions are asked.

Many, many top managers find it’s just not worth it. Success just brings more pressure from all sides. When you have many tens of millions in the bank, why tolerate the disrespect.

Even Xavi is quitting Barcelona because of how he is treated. If anyone should be given a little slack, he should:

Devastating news to wake up to Friday morning for those of us that bleed Merseyside Red. Taking me some time to deal with it, as Klopp will go down as a Liverpool legend. He immediately goes on the Mt. Rushmore of LFC with Shankly, Paisley, and King Kenny.

Agree with much of the above, though I don’t see the “unsupportive management” during Jurgen’s time at LFC. Also, yes, it is an intensely demanding job, but that’s why managers at the world’s top clubs get paid such ridiculous wages.

I have nothing but love for Klopp. He “rescued” LFC from some dire times, and in his reign, has won every major trophy he could, except the Europa league, which he may get this season. He embodies the personality and ideals of the club, the fans, and the community. I wish him nothing but peace, love, and continued success in all his future endeavors. 

If Klopp decides to get back into managing football, I will be a fan of his, but hope he loses if he goes up against any team that I support. I think he will eventually end up managing the Germany national team at some point.

Klopp stepping away is a massive loss, but LFC has been around over 130 years, and will continue to Never Walk Alone! Just hope the boys cans send Jurgy off with a nice haul of silverware this season. Also hope Xabi Alonso takes over, and keeps this big Red machine running on all cylinders.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:30 AM, Corcaigh said:

Yeah, maybe a little harsh on FSG but Liverpool have been outspent by at least eight premier league teams in the last five years.

Two of those being sports washing Arab state owners, two being idiot Americans with more money than sense. FSG has a sustainable model, and under Klopp it has worked. As a Red, I take pride that many PL teams out spend us, yet can’t touch us on the pitch. Finding another manager to continue success with this model will be the trick.

FIFA announced the schedule for the 2026 World Cup today.

The first US game will take place 6/12/2026 in LA.

The US team will play 2 games in LA and one in Seattle.

The final will be held in NY.

• Like 1