Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Of all the players to not convert, Mbappe...that's like Pat Mahomes throwing a pick at the 1 yard line in the AFC Championship game

Not really a fair comparison... he is electric, he is young and a star but I don't think he's really at the Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo level yet.   He lacks the finishing ability.  

It really is unfair to go to PKs... but that's the rule. 

Mbappe prolly had the worst PK... even defenders had more composed PKs... but that is a weakness in his game. 

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Mbappé didn't make us lose this game, the defense did (Pavard, Lenglet, Rabiot, Lloris). Maybe they'll learn who knows ?

On paper any team in the world would kill to line up Varane and Kimpembe at center back, but maybe they’re too similar to work as a pair? Part of this is on Dechampes too imo. If you see your team pushed up like that so late in the game you need to be screaming bloody murder from the touch line. It was essentially a 3 on 3 counter for the tying goal after the ball was lost in Switzerland’s half. 

• Like 1

On paper, France fields a world class team better than any club team.  PSGx2, Real Madridx2, Barca, Spurs, Bayernx2, Juve, Man U, etc.

The 25 minute stretch in the 2nd Half when they went from 0-1 to 3-1 was brilliant.  It was wonderful, beautiful football the world loves watching. 

I said yesterday, there are thin margins in winning and losing.  Switzerland played it to Seferovic the way I was waiting for Portugal to cross it to Ronaldo.  The difference was that Belgium challenged the crosser and had some awareness to deny the cross. 

We hate watching teams put 10 men behind the ball to defend the lead, but it can be effective.

All of their defenders had nightmare moments... Pavard's was erased due to the pen save.  Lenglet, well he does that in Barca too... Varane got the 2nd header score on him and Kimpembe got his ankles broken.  

On 6/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, Long n Left said:

The core of this USA team is in the 18-23 year old range, they aren’t ready for the big time…yet. In 2026 WC,  I expect them to be one of those sides nobody wants to face, and if they keep developing talent, or should I say sending talent overseas to develop, they have a real chance to be a top 10, or better squad.

A projected starting 11 right now would likely include 10 players getting first team run on top 5 European league sides. America is churning out young talent, and many are going abroad to further their development. The fact that top 5 league games are readily accessible on television in America now, will only lead to more and more kids looking at soccer as a legitimate sport to pursue. The USA could be an international player sooner than many think.

If we're looking at the bigger picture for U.S soccer as a whole, I feel like they're not making a big enough deal about Jesse Marsch taking over at RBL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

On paper any team in the world would kill to line up Varane and Kimpembe at center back, but maybe they’re too similar to work as a pair? Part of this is on Dechampes too imo. If you see your team pushed up like that so late in the game you need to be screaming bloody murder from the touch line. It was essentially a 3 on 3 counter for the tying goal after the ball was lost in Switzerland’s half. 

We lack right and left backs, we need 4 and we only have one solid consistent one (Hernandez) and he played injured. Pavard is a joke he's slow and hasn't improved a single bit since last year WC run. Deschamps killed us with his piss poor coaching with Lenglet and Rabiot. The first one is responsible for the first swiss goal, Rabiot for the second one. I couldn't believe his arrogant lazy attitude, he stayed in the box away from the swiss winger so he had all the time in the world to deliver his assist !

Pavard 2.5 Lenglet 2.5 Rabiot 3.5 these are the grades (out of 10) from the medias.

We were warned vs Hungary, did we learn ? No !

Danes can make it, this is a solid team with an easier schedule

Edited by FrFan

5 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

If we're looking at the bigger picture for U.S soccer as a whole, I feel like they're not making a big enough deal about Jesse Marsch taking over at RBL. 

Agree completely, though that is the natural progression in the RB footy empire, Salzburg to Leipzig. He has shown at Salzburg that he is a solid manager, with a positive style. Was hoping at one point that USA soccer would make him national team manager, but Berhalter seems to have finally seen the light, or gotten a directive, and is bringing along the young talent that will lead the USMNT into the future. 

The Bundesliga will be a real test for Marsch. I’ll be interested to see how he fares on a much larger stage. Luckily, he’s taken over a decently talented team, and the RB machine seems to identify, and crank out, good young talent better than just about anyone in the world. Gonna have to fix a BIG hole in the middle of that defense now.

Edited by Long n Left

Take a bow Luke Shaw! Outside of Lucas Hernandez and Ferland Mendy there’s not a better left back in the world. When you tell a young player they need to have some dog in them, you show them Shaw’s contribution to England’s second goal. 

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Take a bow Luke Shaw! Outside of Lucas Hernandez and Ferland Mendy there’s not a better left back in the world. When you tell a young player they need to have some dog in them, you show them Shaw’s contribution to England’s second goal. 

There’s a Scottish lad like to have a word with you. You may not understand half of what he says, but he’d have a word or two.

6 hours ago, Long n Left said:

There’s a Scottish lad like to have a word with you. You may not understand half of what he says, but he’d have a word or two.

Body of work definitely but I think Shaw had a slightly better season. Either way Shaw is in the conversation. What hr did for that second goal was elite, especially considering the rest his teammates wanted no part of doing anything with the ball. 

If anything the Euros has made me more despondent about US soccer.  Save for Christian Pulisic, I would swap every player on the USMNT for the Swiss counterparts.  Even Denmark without Eriksen has talent that the US doesn't have. 

The US roster is probably similar in talent level to Wales... 

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

If anything the Euros has made me more despondent about US soccer.  Save for Christian Pulisic, I would swap every player on the USMNT for the Swiss counterparts.  Even Denmark without Eriksen has talent that the US doesn't have. 

The US roster is probably similar in talent level to Wales... 

Let me reiterate. The USMNT now is made up of youngsters. To try and compare them with teams who are littered with veterans is a false equivalency. The average age of the Swedish team was over 29. I don’t know the exact average age of the squads Berhalter has run out these past two breaks, including the one that just beat Mexico in  a championship match, but my guess would be around 22. Also, almost every one of these young players is plying their trade in Europe, most in the top 5 leagues.

The USA isn’t ready to compete near the top of the world stage just yet, but let these kids grow together, and I believe they will be as strong, likely stronger, than the Dempsey/Donovan era sides that had some nice runs.

The core for a solid side in a couple years is there:

Pulisic-Chelsea regular 

Reyna- Dortmund regular

Sargent- Bremen regular

Dike- Barnsley loan led them to PL playoff

McKennie- Juve regular

Adams- Leipzig regular

Musah- Valencia regular

Dest- Barca squad player

Robinson- Fulham regular

Richards- Bayern squad/junior player

Carter-Vickers- Spurs, loaned to Bournemouth helped them to PL playoff

Steffen- Man City backup to Ederson

I believe that Steffen is the only one over 25 (26) on that list, most are 23 or younger. IMO, the future is bright for the USMNT.

Quick check, Carter-Vickers and Robinson are 23, everyone else is 22 or younger.

Edited by Long n Left

20 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Let me reiterate. The USMNT now is made up of youngsters. To try and compare them with teams who are littered with veterans is a false equivalency. The average age of the Swedish team was over 29. I don’t know the exact average age of the squads Berhalter has run out these past two breaks, including the one that just beat Mexico in  a championship match, but my guess would be around 22. Also, almost every one of these young players is plying their trade in Europe, most in the top 5 leagues

USMNT winger Konrad de la Fuente joins Marseille from Barcelona in €3m deal

Do you know why LFC let Wijnaldum go ?

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Konrad another young US talent.

Gini wanted one last big payday. LFC made what they considered a fair bid, but Gini wanted more. Can’t begrudge him, taking care of his family. PSG can pay him much higher wages, so fair play. As a Dutch descendant, and Liverpool supporter, I’m sad to see him go, he will always be a legend. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Thanks 1

France made a tactical mistake NOT going into a shell for the last 10? minutes of regulation. We've seen in this tournament when you keep it tight in the back, even the best teams struggle to pry it open. Once you open up, teams can score 2 goals in a hurry.