Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

23 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Uruguay holds off Saudi Arabia. Nice match but would have loved to see SA redeem themselves with some goals.

I thought it was pretty bad myself.   Suarez scored at 20 minutes and then Uruguay let SA run around aimlessly for 70 minutes.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Exciting day of soccer today...

3 games...3 goals

The favorites seemed too willing to play defensively and ride out a 1 goal margin, and it almost cost each of them.

Group Stages of the World Cup are generally the most exciting...not this year. Add to that the fact the tournament is taking place in Russia.

The Cup should take place in fun, sun-kissed countries -- Brazil, Spain, Italy, Greece. Not the frozen tundra of Russia (yeah I know its not frozen

in the summer, but you get my meaning). 

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Group Stages of the World Cup are generally the most exciting...not this year. Add to that the fact the tournament is taking place in Russia.

The Cup should take place in fun, sun-kissed countries -- Brazil, Spain, Italy, Greece. Not the frozen tundra of Russia (yeah I know its not frozen

in the summer, but you get my meaning). 

I don't think its the location its several of the bigger names/countries missing out:  No Italy, no Netherlands, no USA, and no real "group of death" except maybe France/Australia/Denmark makes for predictable outcomes and a dull group stage.   Only real interesting outcome has been Iceland drawing Argentina.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

14 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I don't think its the location its several of the bigger names/countries missing out:  No Italy, no Netherlands, no USA, and no real "group of death" except maybe France/Australia/Denmark makes for predictable outcomes and a dull group stage.   Only real interesting outcome has been Iceland drawing Argentina.

Agree with some of the big name teams not making it, that’ll change in 4 years with 48 teams.

As to group of death, I’d argue that Group D with Iceland proving again how dangerous they are, and Croatia (my dark horse pick), and Argentina in that group. Could also argue that Group H is also, as any of those teams could beat any other on a given day. Japan and Senegal got first wins, but either, or both could not get thru if there’s a couple draws.

Edited by Long n Left

I agree that Group D is group of death. Nigeria has way more potential than they showed against Croatia. After seeing Croatia play, I feel they could be a dark horse too; decent defenders, decent overall defending, rakitic, modric, mandzukic—make for some decent soccer.

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Agree with some of the big name teams not making it, that’ll change in 4 years with 48 teams.

As to group of death, I’d argue that Group D with Iceland proving again how dangerous they are, and Croatia (my dark horse pick), and Argentina in that group. Could also argue that Group H is also, as any of those teams could beat any other on a given day. Japan and Senegal got first wins, but either, or both could not get thru if there’s a couple draws.

Iceland's gk was pretty much the only reason they didn't get hammered by Argentina. At the Euros save for a couple of games they didn't give up chances like they were going out of style. 

Aussies are getting into the attacking 3rd more often but they aren’t attacking in tranistion with enough numbers up. I’ve counted four or five attacks where the winger was either alone or with 1 player to receive a cross. Even when they are possessing in the attacking 3rd they seem weak on their numbers up. 

Mooy from the Aussies has a cannon!!

Looks like the Aussie dislocated his shoulder.

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

how was that not a foul/penalty on Aus? He was on the ground hanging onto the Dane's shirt clearly pulling it.

The announcer mentioned that tbe player was “too honest” by getting back up which allowed ref to play possession. We’ve seen that with some of our kids when they should have just gone down instead of fighting through a foul.

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Aussies are getting into the attacking 3rd more often but they aren’t attacking in tranistion with enough numbers up.

Tactical choice it seems. I've watched it happen a few times in the second half. more numbers could've scrambled forward, but i don't think they want to commit and get counter countered. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Tactical choice it seems. I've watched it happen a few times in the second half. more numbers could've scrambled forward, but i don't think they want to commit and get counter countered. 

Agreed, it’s happening WAY too often to not be a tactical descision.

Feels like both teams are willing to settle for 1 point but if they get a win then OK. I can understand that with Demark, but Aussies have zero points and would be in a MUST WIN situation in the next match AND need help.

Terrible service from the Dane on that deep cross

Edited by AsburySkinsFan