Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

9 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Wow, big collision. Great job by that keeper.

That’s a half truth. Many teams have adopted a hybrid system inspired by the Barça style.

You introduced the term "hybrid" yourself so you can call it a half truth. Between that and your mansplaining possession vs counter attacking I think I'm good with this debate. 

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Two themes so far: set pieces and goals in stoppage time. 

Since FIFA started tracking stats in WC matches, they showed most goals are scored in the last ten minutes of each half in the men's game. Women's game tends to score early and hang on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Well done England.

England looks like a nice dark horse. Eagles won the SB. Caps won the Stanley. Can England take the World? 2018 is the year of dark horse, so why not. 

No. They looked really unimaginative. But like Italy and Germany in the past, if y0u have an in form goal scorer, you can win this thing. Solid defending doesn't hurt either. 

So far out of all the teams, I think Portugal and Spain look the best, I wasn't impressed with France, Germany, and Brazil and unfortunately, I didn't get to watch today's games.

I think this tournament is wide open for anyone to grab.

32 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I hope that someone tied up Bradley, Dempsey, Gonzales etc etc and made them watch Panama lose to Belgium.  That's your spot you ****ing piece of **** losers.

Yup....and Altidore, about the only one I allow to stay at the beach would be Pulisic.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So far out of all the teams, I think Portugal and Spain look the best, I wasn't impressed with France, Germany, and Brazil and unfortunately, I didn't get to watch today's games.

I think this tournament is wide open for anyone to grab.

Pretty much agree, I tend to think "cream rises to the top" but after the first few days the top teams seem a bit lack luster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yup....and Altidore, about the only one I allow to stay at the beach would be Pulisic.

I give a pass to any of them that play in Europe.  Guys like Bobby Wood might not be great players, but at least they are playing at the absolute best of their own ability.  Bradley and Co play and practice against scrubs year round in MLS.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

It takes a while for these players to gel and build chemistry.  Obviously they aren't playing with each other as much as club football...I expect the knockout stages to be much more exciting.  De Bruyne for example today has looked pretty poor, but we know he's a great player.  It's a different system with different players and it just takes time.  Germany struggled too but you can see the pieces are there it's just that extra half second of doubt that causes problems.  

I mean look at England today, other than Kane it was as if the players forget how to play when inside the box. Soccer/futbol is actually my favorite sport since I've spent the majority of my life actually playing it compared to football/hockey/baseball so I don't want people to think I'm bagging on soccer. This World Cup just seems off so far, Brazil had like 20 shots and only 2 on goal or some crazy stat. I've never seen Brazil fire so many shots over the goal. Hoping for some better play during the 2nd leg of the group stage as like you said the teams gel more.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed. The diving didn't bother me in years past but after watching so much playoff hockey, its pathetic watching these professional athletes collapse to the ground like a truck hit them at the slightest bit of contact. Have some pride man.

It's the main barrier between the beautiful game and casual fans. Our select team trainer was a Brazilian named Bill Lanza back in the 90s. He was also head coach of Woodbridge when they were a top 5 ranked high school team nationally and he taught/trained us to always go down from any contact in the attacking third. The harder the contact, the more you sold it because getting people booked with yellows so they couldn't play as aggressive or with a red so it was 11v10 was just part of the tactics. Freaking damn good coach though.

Edit: Wow I just googled Bill Lanza and he is back for his second run as Woodbridge coach. Got back with them in 2015.

Edited by Zazzaro703

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

England wins it in the final minutes. 

Sometimes I wonder what these goalies are thinking. Of course he is going near post, move to your right. Don't just stand there.

Trust me THAT is the temptation...right up until they make you look like a damned fool by hitting the wide open far post.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

11 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Trust me THAT is the temptation...right up until they make you look like a damned fool by hitting the wide open far post.

Thought the keeper could have been quicker to read that play, but, after all, he is the second choice keeper for Tunisia. Thought he’d played a solid game to that point, having to be thrown in. 

Better question might be: Why was there not a defender on that far post?

• Like 1

Missed the 1st half of Japan-Colombia. I wish the 8 AM games would start an hour later so I could catch them just as I get to work. 1-1 is a little surprising though, feel like the crack dealers should wreck the game developers.

edit: nvm just saw that Colombia is playing with 10 men

Edited by Warhead36

15 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

I mean look at England today, other than Kane it was as if the players forget how to play when inside the box. Soccer/futbol is actually my favorite sport since I've spent the majority of my life actually playing it compared to football/hockey/baseball so I don't want people to think I'm bagging on soccer. This World Cup just seems off so far, Brazil had like 20 shots and only 2 on goal or some crazy stat. I've never seen Brazil fire so many shots over the goal. Hoping for some better play during the 2nd leg of the group stage as like you said the teams gel more.

It's the main barrier between the beautiful game and casual fans. Our select team trainer was a Brazilian named Bill Lanza back in the 90s. He was also head coach of Woodbridge when they were a top 5 ranked high school team nationally and he taught/trained us to always go down from any contact in the attacking third. The harder the contact, the more you sold it because getting people booked with yellows so they couldn't play as aggressive or with a red so it was 11v10 was just part of the tactics. Freaking damn good coach though.

Edit: Wow I just googled Bill Lanza and he is back for his second run as Woodbridge coach. Got back with them in 2015.

I feel for him being stuck with that last name. 

Group A: Russia could advance today and egypt could be out.

Group B: Most intriguing group right now. One of the favorites could be in dire straights going into the third match day

Group C: Want to see Peru and Australia both win tomorrow by 1-0 scorelines. Will make for a very interesting Match Day 3 with all teams on 3 points and essentially same goal differential.

Group D: a) FIFA has rigged this WC for Messi to win, so no worries b. I'm rooting for any team to come out of this group, all hold interest for me

Group E: It'd be cool to eliminate all the previous winners and have a free for all in the knockout stages. 

Group F: Not rooting for Mexico, but it's cool if Mexico and Sweden (family ties for me) advance

Group G: Belgium was my pre-tournament favorite. I guess it's England, just don't think Tunisia and Panama have anything to them.

Group H: Japan and Poland to advance

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is still a lot of talent on Colombia. They can easily win the next two games.

Yeah, nothing is set in stone. Poland have decent squad though. Lewa is a great finisher and that's important in this tourney. 

• Thanks 1