Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Is this Portugal vs Morocco match worth watching or is Ronaldo gonna make minced meat of them?

Pretty good match from what I’ve seen so far. Morocco has been a bit chippy with their fouls, but Portugal isn’t running over them. 

Only goal so far was Ronaldo on a free from the corner.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Moroccan set pieces are adding up.

Portugal playing with no pace, Morocco attacking.

...and now another corner.

Hard to imagine Portugal staying clean for 10+ minutes under this pressure and their inability to control.

Free kick awarded top of box for Portugal to save a goal strike from Ronaldo.

Morocco looked good. Multiple missed handballs on both teams throughout the game, was a little strange.

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

If Ronaldo is going to be the only option for Portugal then they are in trouble, because it’s only a matter of time before Pepe does something to cost the team.

Its been like that for awhile though. Without Ronaldo Portugal to me just isnt that great. If they didnt have him I dont think they qualify for the WC the last couple of times or the Euros.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Didn't Portugal win the Euro final without him?

Sure, but they dont get there without Ronaldo in the first place getting them through qualifying and to the final.

Do you really think Portugal would be ranked as high as they are, or have won the euros, if Ronaldo wasnt Portuguese?

5 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Too bad Ronaldo doesn't have a brother that's about as good as him. 

Brian was in his early 20s and not exactly carrying teams at that point. That squad wasn't seen as capable of winning the tournament. 

55 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Does anyone really put stock into FIFA rankings? Greece won it 2004. Denmark won it in 1992 without Michael Laudrup. 

Regardless of the ranking, which may not be super accurate but still gives you a general idea, Portugal doesnt get to and win the Euros without Ronaldo and arent considered a big threat in the WC either.

There is something about the tone of how the female announcer talks that I find incredibly irritating. I think its because she seems to end every sentence with her voice going up.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Nice defensive recovery by Uruguay there to avoid the 1v1! That hard tackle was dangerous though right at the top of the box, so hard keeping that tackle clean at that pace.

5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

There is something about the tone of how the female announcer talks that I find incredibly irritating. I think its because she seems to end every sentence with her voice going up.

It doesn’t help that she’s pretty critical.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Regardless of the ranking, which may not be super accurate but still gives you a general idea, Portugal doesnt get to and win the Euros without Ronaldo and arent considered a big threat in the WC either.

This goes for a lot of nations though.  Only few countries in the world boast a dominant well rounded team.  Take Lewa away from Poland.  Ronaldo obviously. Messi even.  There are only a few teams around that can get by without their superstar player: Germany, Spain, France...maybe Brazil. Maybe Belgium although losing Hazard or De Bruyne would really hurt.  

Without Ronaldo Portugal aren't top 10 in the world like they are ranked by Fifa. But he's a top 2 player of course there will be major fluctuation in the rankings due to his fitness. He changes matches.   

18 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

This goes for a lot of nations though.  Only few countries in the world boast a dominant well rounded team.  Take Lewa away from Poland.  Ronaldo obviously. Messi even.  There are only a few teams around that can get by without their superstar player: Germany, Spain, France...maybe Brazil. Maybe Belgium although losing Hazard or De Bruyne would really hurt.  

Without Ronaldo Portugal aren't top 10 in the world like they are ranked by Fifa. But he's a top 2 player of course there will be major fluctuation in the rankings due to his fitness. He changes matches.   

Sure, but my comment was more in reply to Elessar78 saying that Portugal won the Euros without Ronaldo as he was injured in the first half. Argentina is a team that should be good without Messi as they still have a lot of good players, but they just cant seem to put it together. If a team sends 3 guys to cover Messi throughout a game Argentina has the players that should be able to take advantage, but for some reason they cant.

The best teams in the world tend to have more than one player, Portugal to me is the exception to that. I wouldnt say Poland is much of a threat either WITH Lewa. Ronaldo makes Portugal an actual threat to win the WC when without him I dont think they even qualify.

Uruguay has seemed rather toothless this tournament, not much of an attacking threat. At this point I would expect Russia to beat them based on the two games so far which is surprising.

28 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It doesn’t help that she’s pretty critical.

Women! Amiright? :ols:

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Sure, but my comment was more in reply to Elessar78 saying that Portugal won the Euros without Ronaldo as he was injured in the first half. Argentina is a team that should be good without Messi as they still have a lot of good players, but they just cant seem to put it together. If a team sends 3 guys to cover Messi throughout a game Argentina has the players that should be able to take advantage, but for some reason they cant.

The best teams in the world tend to have more than one player, Portugal to me is the exception to that. I wouldnt say Poland is much of a threat either with Lewa.

Uruguay has seemed rather toothless this tournament, not much of an attacking threat. At this point I would expect Russia to beat them based on the two games so far which is surprising.

AHh I see.  I think that's right.  The main difference I see between Portugal and Argentina is Portugal as a team have basically accepted that they will play for Ronaldo.  Ronaldo or bust.  Argentina, because they have talented individuals outside of messi, expect messi to play with them.  Every time messi misses a PK, FK, or has an error the other personalities on the team want to take it on their shoulders to help the team.  They will take individual risks.  However Portugal will play more at ease and search out Ronaldo because they simply understand he is their best option, always.  

• Like 1