Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Ok did Fox's narrator for the pregame report piece just say an Iranian player is from "of all places" Los Angeles? Their studio is a quarter of a mile from the Persian neighborhood. They must not have heard about Irangeles

Edited by Berggy9598

@Elessar78 - I forgot about "Fight and Win" guy. That was a huge meme on /sp/ back in my 4chan days. So cringy. 

Speaking of 4chan memes: World Cup time and the U.S. Men's team sitting it out, we're faced with everyone's favorite burning question: how come we're no good at soccer.

Found this video - brings up some stuff I've heard time and time again (MLS's pay-to-play system, inaccessible youth soccer academies, no promotion/relegation system). There's a bit of NSFW language but the most egregious aspect of the video is evoking the term "handegg" for American Football - another /sp/ term I thought I'd put far behind me. Brings up some good points as far as I can tell but I don't know soccer like you all do.

My favorite sporting event.... poor Egypt... defenders ran out of gas and were careless.

Let's see if Sergio Ramos breaks or tries to break Ronaldo.... I mean... question is not "if" to me, but "when".... he's a robot so it won't matter to him that he's going to dirty tackle his Real Madrid teammate....

I agree with him about promotion/relegation. We should have it. But what should US Soccer do with the owners that ponied up the money since 94 to start and grow MLS? I'm not an MLS fan, haven't watched 90 minutes of it in a decade. 

Pay to play is expensive. My eldest kid's tab runs about $3000 per year (inclusive of uniform, travel, hotels, gas). I don't pay most of that because I coach for the club. Yes, it is a problem but there's a veiled implication that the answer is with the hispanics and black kids. I won't speak to much of the world or even other areas in the US—but I don't see our genetic pool being too different than, say, Germany. Or even smaller and less succcesful like Switzerland or Croatia. In my club, we have a handful of players whose dad played in the NFL, we also have many whose parents played high level college sports. The top third of our boys teams should be able to play high-level college soccer. We have, I'd say about 6 kids with MLS potential. 1 of those has already gotten looks from Wolves, Benfica, and Hamburg and is now on Columbus Crew academy. I say we do a decent job developing talent but we are held back by some things we do like play in too many tournaments, instead using that time for training instead.  The truth is that training, travel, and facilities are expensive. In Europe the club pays for it. Here, parents have to pay. It's not rampant greed as some make it out to be. 

It's not one factor alone. We need kids playing more outside of training but in most areas, kids can't walk alone to a safe area to play soccer. But formal training is important as well. Both play a role. Pulisic is who he is because his mom and dad (college soccer @ George Mason) were accomplished players, his dad is a good coach, he was always around pro environment growing up, but they also had a healthy approach (not overbearing) to his soccer. The "healthy approach" was also a factor with landon donovan's development. 

Soccer on NBC is a huge resource that wasn't there for prev. generations of American players. 

I've mentioned this many times here, but high school and college soccer are still big roadblocks. They are environments geared toward winning instead of development. High school plays multiple games a week with little time to train and results-focused games. Good academies in other parts of the world use games as an extension of training, win is nice but they have other things they want to accomplish in the game as well. College soccer plays only part of the year and the rest of the year they have limited contact with their coach. Ages 18-22 are a wasteland for most American players. If you're not a phenom, you may not play regularly for 2 years! So between ages 14 and 22 our top prospects aren't getting the practice time and game time they truly need. 

With that said, the MLS academies are doing a better job. Columbus Crew hired Valencia FC's academy director to run their program, for example. If you make these teams, the cost is minimal. But instead of paying Zlatan a big salary, invest in the academy more. Pay your homegrown players more. That'll incentivize kids to pursue their soccer dreams.

Another biggie is solidarity payments. USSF refuses to allow these payments to trickle down. When a player is bought in Europe, his old club gets a transfer fee. Less known is that part of that transfer fee is shared down the line with any club that has had a hand developing that player. Even a few thousand bucks would be a big number for most American clubs. And it incentivizes American clubs to develop players for sell-on potential instead of competing for ****ing plastic trophies.  

• Like 1

We have seen the polar opposites in quality in the last two games.  Morocco-Iran was boring with lots of diving and the reason many Americans don't find soccer interesting.  Whereas, this Spain-Portugal game is interesting and exciting, with good play throughout.

4 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Why can't De Gea do that with manu

I thought that penalty was PK worthy but Ronaldo is feeling it today and Portugal is doing a great job bringing numbers up. Loved that goal by Costa.

De Gea deflection was painful to watch, it just shows how hard Ronaldo struck it.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan