Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I've noticed a trend with the Arsenal fans this season...

They really like to celebrate that goal they scored in the game.

They have scored some beautiful goals this season...I would be celebrating them too!

PS.....I like to celebrate the ugly ones too

Edited by jobaga

So I'll set the scene... my brother in law and sister drive down from VA to visit me in NC for my daughter's BDay party and to watch this game together... (Liverpool vs United of course).

We aren't five minutes into the game before I decide I can't take it anymore because whoever the American doing color is has really done nothing but talk.  Most of the English commentators let the crowd noise play a bit so you can get a feel for the scene.  This mofo was uncomfortable with silence and it nearly ruined it for me.

About 10 minutes in I finally figure out it was Tim Howard... but it's funny that Forbes felt the same way I did. :lol:

My biggest complaint is his overuse of the word "brilliant".  Using brilliant is like using a slow clap... it has to be at the right time.... you can't force it, you usually just let it happen.  Normally after Gerrard or Suarez do something.  Tim used it as a conjunction...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2014/03/16/while-a-door-opens-for-liverpool-is-the-same-one-closing-on-manchester-united/2/

10. NBC Sports has used USA international goalkeeper Tim Howard as a color commentator on their Premier League broadcasts before. On the face of it, Howard seemed like he had much to offer. Howard played for Manchester United under former manager Sir Alex Ferguson before he moved to Everton where he played for David Moyes before Moyes moved to Old Trafford last summer.

And of course in playing for Everton Howard has to “work” in same city as Liverpool FC.

Now and again during the broadcast Howard was able to contribute some interesting insights. On Moyes, on facing a Steven Gerrard penalty, being on the receiving end of a Liverpool onslaught when they have their tails up.

It is a pity that the good stuff was lost in his incessant chatter throughout the 90 plus minutes. Sometimes commentators just need to allow the game to “breath” and to not over analyze and to resist the need to fill the silence.

Someone needs to take Howard aside and offer him some constructive feedback while at the same time making sure that on his next broadcast someone doesn’t ply him with a triple espresso.

But, we still won.  However, from here on out I want nothing to do with Howard.  That was the worst.

Here's to Guzan in Brazil!  Yes... that's how much it pissed me off.

Rant over. :D

^^^Timmy was okay. What really irritated me was at the ending the game when the United fans were chanting about Hillsborough the commentator was giddy about the fans still backing the squad and Moyes, not realizing what they were singing about. Once they figured out what was being chanted, they did not address it or admonish the crowd, so those who didn't know what was being said thought that the United fans were being good sports and supportive...when they were actually being vile and reprehensible.

• Like 4

^^^Timmy was okay. What really irritated me was at the ending the game when the United fans were chanting about Hillsborough the commentator was giddy about the fans still backing the squad and Moyes, not realizing what they were singing about. Once they figured out what was being chanted, they did not address it or admonish the crowd, so those who didn't know what was being said thought that the United fans were being good sports and supportive...when they were actually being vile and reprehensible.

When their own manager applauds the 'fantastic support' and say's they can't fail to lose if they get the same on Wednesday what hope does anyone else have?

Hail. 

When their own manager applauds the 'fantastic support' and say's they can't fail to lose if they get the same on Wednesday what hope does anyone else have?

Hail. 

Anything that takes the focus off of him...

Hail. 

So every single United supporter at Old Trafford was singing about Hillsboro, or was it about the same number of idiots that sing Munich songs at Anfield?

United and Liverpool supporters, at the grounds, are both wastemen.

Football supporters in general are like that. Its disgusting.

Surely you must be joking. Not a single Liverpool supporter in the history of time has ever said or done anything unruly to opposing supporters. It's every other club that has the bad apples.

• Like 1

You seriously need to spend more time in this thread SJV and read just how I regularly pull our younger end in particular apart, not least when it comes to the Utd game. (And for the ill informed, Munich songs are few an far between thes days. The Shipman song and variations though is another matter.).

Or you can just get defensive and talk twaddle.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

You seriously need to spend more time in this thread SJV and read just how I regularly pull our younger end in particular apart, not least when it comes to the Utd game. (And for the ill informed, Munich songs are few an far between thes days. The Shipman song and variations though is another matter.).

Or you can just get defensive and talk twaddle.

Hail.

Singing about Hillsboro is obviously just as reprehensible and most United supporters agree with that but every football club has this glass house so I just thought it was pretty pointless to have been brought up (not by you originally) as some kind of triumphant vindication. You'd be defensive too if you had to relive Jim Zorn taking over for Joe Gibbs all over again, and if the Van Gaal rumors are true we might get Mike Shannahan to complete the tri-angle.

Surely you must be joking. Not a single Liverpool supporter in the history of time has ever said or done anything unruly to opposing supporters. It's every other club that has the bad apples.

Definitely begging for a "how do you like them apples" response.

Must resist.

But in the interest of sportsmanship and good will, some of our group have decided to lend a hand to your entrenched skipper.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-keep-David-Moyes-at-Old-Trafford/687214937989847

Care to sign the above petition?

• Like 1

I think everyone knows the whole award of that World Cup was bent. It was a total nonsense to think they could hold a World Cup in the Mddle East in the middle of summer - I've been to that region quite a bit on business and walking to and from a car in summer can be oppressive. The idea of playing an elite level football match in that climate is just mind blowing.

Moving the World Cup to the winter will disrupt probably two seasons of European football - all so a few FIFA officials can pocket a coupe of million each .....

It's time Blatter and his cronies were held accountable - but it never seems to happen.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 3

So every single United supporter at Old Trafford was singing about Hillsboro, or was it about the same number of idiots that sing Munich songs at Anfield?

I guess you were referring to my post? If you re-read it you will see this is not an attack on the Manchester United crowd as much as it is a statement about the commentary. I don't believe in songs celebrating death, no matter who sings them. I think we can all agree that the game would be better if they were eliminated. I didn't like that those members of the crowd where being applauded for being disgusting. I don't think you would disagree with that.

Singing about Hillsboro is obviously just as reprehensible and most United supporters agree with that but every football club has this glass house so I just thought it was pretty pointless to have been brought up (not by you originally) as some kind of triumphant vindication. You'd be defensive too if you had to relive Jim Zorn taking over for Joe Gibbs all over again, and if the Van Gaal rumors are true we might get Mike Shannahan to complete the tri-angle.

^^^^see above

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1

Howard in defense of Moyes:

"He is demanding," he said. "He never lets the players rest; not one day. Whether we were on a brilliant run or a bad run, he never let us rest. He was always on our backs, and it got the best out of us."

Apparently United fans were signing about Hillsborough again... pure class.

To be fair, they had nothing to sing about on the pitch. I'm glad to see them handle losing with grace and class...

Just awful human beings.  There are kids in that stadium today.  Fine examples to start with.

I was coming on to post how I ran into a group of Olympiacos fans in town today who'd gotten straight off the plane in Manchester and come straight over to Liverpool because, in their words, they 'wanted to visit the mecca of football'; but it's the continued fall out from Sunday's Hillsborough chants that's maddening me. 

ALL day on Sky (they have the game and are going for a big buildup. Go figure?); there's been analysts and interviewed United players and supporters STILL saying how great the 'support' was at the end of the game. It's a VERY sorry state of affairs when it takes a tabloid newspaper to come out and lambast them and pull them for the downright lies in the aftermath: 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-fans-taunting-liverpool-3257402

Good luck tonight Olympiacos. Hope yers batter the ****s!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven