Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Driving cross-country and moving to Oregon.

Baculus

I've come to the recent decision to move from Maryland to Oregon. The reasons are several fold, but now seems like a good time for me to do so. In order to accomplish this objective, I am driving across the country -- leaving within the next week -- which is something I have not done in a while. (I have previously lived in Oregon around 15 years ago. Btw, I am moving to the Eugene area.)

It's a lengthy trip, of which I aim to complete in five days, but it should prove to be interesting.

Thus, with this in mind, I would love to hear any travel tips and advice, good sight-seeing recommendations (my route will cut through the middle of the country), football-watching tips from fellow Oregonian 'Skins fans, and any other thoughts or ideas that would help in my effort.

Thanks a bunch!

Take your time on the trip and enjoy if you can, I have driven across the country a ton of times and its always best to break up the monotony and stop in places and have things to look forward too as you work across the country. Maybe stop in Cleveland or Chicago for a ball game, go rafting in Salt Lake etc.

Get a Sirius radio, I found it a great option for my cross country relo. Also, I found it fun to plan out a few "must see" stops along the way that I would otherwise probably never get to see.

One last thing, I made it a point to try and collect things from each state/city/major landmark that I stopped at. I chose shot glasses and it was kind of fun to find them and then have them as momentos after the trip

I've driven halfway across the country twice now. It sucks.

Though' date=' I learned that America will never suffer a waffle shortage.[/quote']

Going all the way is the way to go.

Yeah the middle is a giant snoozefest but the west is great.

make sure you buy plenty of supplies before you leave town. Don't forget spare wheels and axles because that is not a problem you want to have when out on the trail. And last but not least, make sure you get a few healthy-looking Oxen.

I was hoping I wouldn't be let down when I opened this thread, thanks PP :ols:

On a serious note: Good luck with your trip Bac. I always thought it would be cool to do a cross country BBQ tour, stopping at various locations to try out the different styles of BBQ at all the little "hole in the wall" BBQ places.

EDIT: Also, just saw this over in the Stadium http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=326945

make sure you buy plenty of supplies before you leave town. Don't forget spare wheels and axles because that is not a problem you want to have when out on the trail. And last but not least, make sure you get a few healthy-looking Oxen.

+1000 internet points

Take your car in for alignment, balance, tire pressure, and general maintenance. Make sure all your fluid kevels are good.

Proper tire pressure and alignment alone can save you some money on gas, as can items like a clean air filter etc. Also, if your windows aren't tinted that would be a good investment too. Makes your car a lot cooler especially driving in august heat

Also, nothing passes time like a few audio books. Just say no to road snacks. Don't eat fast food and eat sparingly at restaurants. After several days of this you will feel like ass. Get a cooler and stock it with fruits and healthy stuff.

Beyond that, don't eat sushi in kansas

Take your car in for alignment, balance, tire pressure, and general maintenance. Make sure all your fluid kevels are good.

Proper tire pressure and alignment alone can save you some money on gas, as can items like a clean air filter etc. Also, if your windows aren't tinted that would be a good investment too. Makes your car a lot cooler especially driving in august heat

Also, nothing passes time like a few audio books. Just say no to road snacks. Don't eat fast food and eat sparingly at restaurants. After several days of this you will feel like ass. Get a cooler and stock it with fruits and healthy stuff.

Beyond that, don't eat sushi in kansas

I agree with the audio books, though I cant tell you how many times I've missed an exit because I was so into the story!:ols:

wow, an Oregon trail reference. Now that is a blast of nostalgia from the 80's.

I'm a bitt jealous about the move to Oregon as Portland is currently tops on my wish list of places I would like to retire.

Pick a few crazy things. My father in law just drove to Seattle from Columbia, MD, and will stop in Arkansas for the family reunion on his way back. He had stops mapped out all across the U.S. like the largest ball of twine...

Depending on how quickly you wanted to head north in your trip west, there are a lot of fairly random places you can go see. My work has an office in Jeffersonville Indiana, and as many times as I've been there, I've still not made it to the Kentucky Fried Chicken Museum (just to score maximum points for a random answer to the "So what did you do today question?"). I have however made it to Shaker Village in KY which I found fascinating.

Good luck on the road and at your destination.

The best vacation I ever had was a 10-day road trip through New England. My gf and I had a big cooler that we kept filled with bottled water, OJ, fruit, and yogurt. We basically ate breakfast and lunch out of it and splurged on dinner wherever we ended up. One day, we ate fast food and it was the worst day of the trip because we both needed a nap and I needed a NY Times.

The first time I drove to Texas, I took my car in for a lot of maintenance. They filled the radiator but apparently forget to put the damn radiator cap back on. Which became quite a problem in Knoxville, TN at 5 PM.

Absolute win....

Don't shoot a buffalo, you won't be able to carry more than 100lbs back to the car...

Are you taking I-80 across then?

I've done it a few times. Don't know about sight-seeing, we just hauled ass across the country the times we've done it.

Have fun in Eugene. I'm from northern California, 20 min. south of the Oregon border and spent a ton of time in Oregon (Ashland & Medford).

All I can say is don't eat a lot of crap food because I've found, especially as I get older, that it makes me feel terrible and get very sleepy about 45 min. after consuming a bunch of crap.

Get your car tuned up prior to leaving.

Get good music or audio books.

That's about all I have to say. Actually, watch out for the semi's in the midwest. They haul like bats outta hell and almost blow you off the road...

(I have previously lived in Oregon around 15 years ago. Btw, I am moving to the Eugene area.)

I

Eugene is in my top 3 list of places to move when I retire in a few years. I've lived in the Seattle area, and been through the Eugene area a few times. Always seemed like a great place to live. Anything in particular that made you decide on it?

I've driven halfway across the country twice now. It sucks.

Though' date=' I learned that America will never suffer a waffle shortage.[/quote']

You do know there was a waffle shortage last year . . . and no I am not ****ing with you

Leggo your Eggo: There's a waffle shortage

Kellogg is rationing its Eggo products due to flooding and equipment problems at two bakeries. The shortfall could last through mid-2010.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/18/news/companies/eggo_waffle_shortage/

Archived