Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Driving cross-country and moving to Oregon.

Baculus

How about this novel advice... don't do it.

Sure you can move to Oregon, but I wouldn't drive. Driving is boring, and dull... and tiring hard work. The risk of getting into an accident is too great, and you're going to put more mileage on your car.

I'd fly and have a car transport company take the car. Perhaps this isn't a good option for you financially... maybe I'm just being spoilsportish...

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first chance I have had to update my status. After many twists and turns, I am finally on my way to the west coast, traveling with a few people in a truck. *All in all, it shall be interesting.

I will upload some pics to Flkir and post a link here when I have something interesting.

Wish me luck! *And Hail to the Redskins! *(I am going to miss tonight's preseason game -- boo!)

Good luck on your trip, and im not sure what you are talking about on a game tonight! :whoknows:

Thanks! And with all my moving, it shows how out of touch I am with the pre-season schedule. :-P

Btw, I am just outside of Nashville, and next stop, Arkansas. Woo pigs, sowee!

Hey Taz, Ken Johnson (LHS-91) lives in Eugene. Not sure if you know him or not, if you do, he seems to have a lot of connections out there.

I know Ken -- he and I have been talking, and we're going to chill once I get there.

Btw, I am gonna send you a PM.

I live in Oregon, having taken the slower exodus route (moved to KC for 5-6 years) and then moved to Oregon.

If you haven't been to the West before, and even though it might be out of your way, there are a couple of "must see's":

1. St. Louis Arch - Gateway to the West.

2. Kansas wheat fields.

3. the Grand Canyon.

4. Death Valley

5. Yosemite

6. Highway 101 sights (especially Hearst Castle)

7. the Redwoods

8. Welcome to Oregon (yes that constant green color is not paint, and you will need to get your Vitamn D via supplements).

I know that route takes you south through the deserts and way out of your way, but trust me, it is worth it, and you will have embraced many of the flavors of the vast West. That northern route just makes you talk to your snacks because there is a lot of nothing but empty highway.

Oh, and when you hear the locals talk about the "Civil War", they won't be talking about the Blue and the Gray, Grant & Lee, or freeing slaves. They will be in reference to the yearly Oregon vs. Oregon State college football game.

Yuck. I could hardly do NJ to Miami. That's a rough drive, man. Just watch out for the idiots on the road... Best of luck to you.

If it means anything to you, Oregon is a liberal's Shangri La (no joke).

Holy crap I almost went to UO :whew:

Getting into Pitt must've been divine intervention... It all makes sense now!!!

If it means anything to you, Oregon is a liberal's Shangri La (no joke).

It certainly is in Portland (but I can't speak to Eugene). Most of the state are hardworking, blue collar Conservatives, but we do get outvoted frequently by all those dang Californians who moved north.

First of all..BE CAREFUL!

Second..enjoy the ride!

I've driven from Atlanta to Vegas,D.C. to Denver.

Racked up more than 1 million miles driving in my lifetime.Been to many cities.

I generally try not eat too much(makes me tired faster).

Take caffein pills if you get tired(helps alot).Vivarin is the best.Or take a nap somewhere but nowadays it may not be a wise thing to do.

You don't want to drift off while driving.

As others have said,get your car checked before the trip.

Don't be in too much of a rush to get there.Many things to see!Things you will remember for years.See the Grand Canyon(if you're going that way).

Last but not least,put a Redskins sticker on the Vehicle!

Represent wherever you go!

Have a Great trip and take MANY pictures!

As someone who's driven from DC to LA and back by myself I can tell you one thing.

1. Do not sleep in rest areas.

2. Get Sirius/XM

3. Pack plenty of fruit and healthy snacks. Avoid fastfood if possible.

4. Avoid being the fastest thing on the road. Many small towns live and die by speedy tickets.

5.Rest and stretch every four hours or so regardless if piss break.

It certainly is in Portland (but I can't speak to Eugene). Most of the state are hardworking, blue collar Conservatives, but we do get outvoted frequently by all those dang Californians who moved north.

yes, those sneaky california liberals that move around the country flaunting the fact that they don't work a lick. bastages.

Riiiiiiight. Whatever you say.

Keep in mind that most "news" programming originates in a single city (Portland) which is very liberal. I'd imagine that Eugene is fairly liberal as well, mainly due to the large colleges in the area and the preponderence of students.

If you go to Roseburg, Vale, Klammath Falls, Seaside, Coos Bay, Burns or Chiloquin, I doubt that you would come away with that impression.

I've made the trip a couple of times from Fairfax, VA to Bremerton, WA. I've used I-40, I-70, and I-90. By far, the best scenic route was I-70, then hop on I-15 North in Utah then I-84. By going I-70, you'll get to see the Arch in St.Louis. and get great views of the Rockies going through Colorado. You can take I-84 to Portland and head south on I-5 or continue to the coast and ride on the US-101 (Pacific Coast Highway). If you've never driven it, 101 is worth the trip.

I've made that trip in 3 1/2 days by myself without speeding. It's a haul but I was by myself so I slept at rest stops. Enjoy the trip, and be sure to bring a camera.

Archived