Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Food Stamps: A Rant.

zoony

yeah ... funny you bring th is up.

i saw a woman the other day get 5-6 bags of groceries, she than pulled out a WIC card or check type of things and paid ...

TWO FREAKING DOLLARS.

I crap you not ... she got at last $75 bucks worth of stuff.

I just think this country is FREAKING nuts ... it is unlike no other man.

I mean, I don't give a damn how poor you are, no one should get a break that good man. I would bet my nuts she spends money on less important things and totally milks this benefit.

it pissed me off

My sister is a waitress and a co-worker of her's gets food stamps and other governement assistance. She said her co-worker was taking a vacation to Orlando. She has three kids, all with different fathers. She lives with a boyfriend but tells the government she lives alone so she gets more benefits. She only works four days a week (my sister is 56 years old and works six days a week).

Makes you wonder.

I wonder if there's a whistle blower site for folks like this.

i totally agree on all points. I think assistance for those in legitimate need is required of an enlightened society, but those who abuse it should be made to pay a very heavy penalty.

~Bang

:applause:

yeah ... funny you bring th is up.

i saw a woman the other day get 5-6 bags of groceries, she than pulled out a WIC card or check type of things and paid ...

TWO FREAKING DOLLARS.

I crap you not ... she got at last $75 bucks worth of stuff.

I just think this country is FREAKING nuts ... it is unlike no other man.

I mean, I don't give a damn how poor you are, no one should get a break that good man. I would bet my nuts she spends money on less important things and totally milks this benefit.

it pissed me off

You do know what the WIC program is for, right? Is someone here seriously going to hate on WIC?? A program which helps ensure that pregnant mothers are able to get proper nutrition for their young and/or unborn children.

Working at the community of hope (a local food bank) has shown me that while there are abusers of programs like this, the worthy far outnumber them. They just don't make the news, or make us mad when we witness them at the store, because they keep it low key due to embarrassment and they buy appropriate goods. Any program to help people is going to have those who abuse it, that's part of the cost of having those programs. Almost without fail, the cost of policing the program with the level of detail necessary to catch the guilty costs much more than they steal. WTF you gonna do? Take it away from those who need it because of some rotten apples? I'm not for that.

As to handicap parking, you'd never know I was handicapped (MS as well) and while I haven't gotten a placard yet the recent days of high 90's and high humidity (yeah I know but that's why I choose to live here in the desert where we don't get that often) are leading me towards the unpleasant trip to MVD. I almost fell down traipsing across the parking lot of the supermarket yesterday. I have no doubt that when I get it I will get it more than my fair share of dirty looks. I've been with enough handicapped people in the past, who didn't look it, to have seen that.

My point is that it's easy to judge people and get irate but most of the time we can't really tell what's going on. The possibility of coming down on someone who really doesn't deserve it and may be suffering a lot more than we could know is never worth the temporary pleasure(?) derived.

All that aside, there's a special place in hell for those who really do take advantage of programs we all pay for to help the needy.

You can buy 5000 lbs of carrots for $1.09. Beans, rich in protein, cost roughly $1 per tandem axle load.

And to a large extent, I'm not even advocating that this woman should know better. But the people who put these social programs together definitely should. 3 Musketeers? Food stamps? Really?

Who is drawing up these programs with our tax dollars?

Over 2 tons of carrots for $1.09? Let me know where I can get that deal :ols:

Beans are indeed a great, healthy, and cheap source of calories (which is why they are very common in the diets of lower income families). I'm not making the claim it is impossible to be healthy if you are poor. But MANY of the foods that provide calories cheaply are absolutely terrible for one's weight.

It's probably cheaper overall to have a loosely regulated and monitored system for disbursing assistance funds than it is to build in the checks and such needed to make it even mostly game-proof.

Unhealthy eating habits are cheaper and easier. It's not at all surprising that people on food stamps are eating poorly. Also let's keep in mind that obesity in the US is now at 25% and climbing so I hope Zoony is wrong about a handicap plate for being fat. Pretty soon half the parking lot will be reserved for fat people.

I'm waiting patiently for the free market to correct itself on obesity.

At least she wasnt herding 11 ill-behaved kids around.
Probably had them in some publicly funded daycare.

This is the type of bull**** that gets to me to. I saw this crap everyday in school and see it now everyday in our public health ob/gyn place.

What gets me more (and I am for public assistance programs, but they need to be VERY MUCH CUT DOWN as in FOOD STAPLES, and only the BASICS as far as medical exams, pharaceuticals, etc.) is the people who give you attitude, like this is their DAMN ENTITLEMENT.

Warning: Work Rant. I was counseling this young girl about birth control the other day. Se was 22, already has a 4 y/o boy, both on Medicaid. Well, I tell her that we are not going to be able to give her the birth control today unless she allows us to do an annual exam to make sure things are healthy. You know, kind of important that the patient be healthy before you prescribe BC.

Girl totally flips out at me and says I'm discirimating at her :ols: She ABSOLUTELY REFUSES this annual exam (it'd take 5 minutes b/c the doc was right there - listening to our interaction around the corner and laughing) and JUST WANTS BIRTH CONTROL. IF SHE DOESN'T GET BIRTH CONTROL, SHE'S GETTING PREGNANT. I say until we get this figured out and her annual exam scheduled at an "acceptable" time for her, she should abstain for sex or DUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH use condoms. That was an no-can-do. Absolutely not. Birth control now or BUST!

I can honestly see why more and more physicians are refusing medicaid patients. No pay, actually a loss, and a sizeable majority (not all, I've worked with several great Medicaid patients!) feel entitled everything, even if it's against proper medical procedure.

There's no excuse for her rudeness, but don't judge what you don't know.

The human being is very adept at making split-second decisions and judgments based on brief observations. With close observation you can infer tons about someone based on brief encounters, its an evolutionary advantage.

For example, in our advanced leadership psychology course at VMI we first learn that from an initial interaction with another person, 60-70% of our initial inferences are accurate with a standard deviation of about 10%. Its the other 30% that's tougher and takes more interaction.

Probably had them in some publicly funded daycare.

This is the type of bull**** that gets to me to. I saw this crap everyday in school and see it now everyday in our public health ob/gyn place.

What gets me more (and I am for public assistance programs, but they need to be VERY MUCH CUT DOWN as in FOOD STAPLES, and only the BASICS as far as medical exams, pharaceuticals, etc.) is the people who give you attitude, like this is their DAMN ENTITLEMENT.

Warning: Work Rant. I was counseling this young girl about birth control the other day. Se was 22, already has a 4 y/o boy, both on Medicaid. Well, I tell her that we are not going to be able to give her the birth control today unless she allows us to do an annual exam to make sure things are healthy. You know, kind of important that the patient be healthy before you prescribe BC.

Girl totally flips out at me and says I'm discirimating at her :ols: She ABSOLUTELY REFUSES this annual exam (it'd take 5 minutes b/c the doc was right there - listening to our interaction around the corner and laughing) and JUST WANTS BIRTH CONTROL. IF SHE DOESN'T GET BIRTH CONTROL, SHE'S GETTING PREGNANT. I say until we get this figured out and her annual exam scheduled at an "acceptable" time for her, she should abstain for sex or DUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH use condoms. That was an no-can-do. Absolutely not. Birth control now or BUST!

I can honestly see why more and more physicians are refusing medicaid patients. No pay, actually a loss, and a sizeable majority (not all, I've worked with several great Medicaid patients!) feel entitled everything, even if it's against proper medical procedure.

Are you seriously that callous?

:evilg:

zoony, you had about three minutes of observance, not even interaction, of her, and you can, all of a sudden, say what benefits she's eligible for?

Curious:

What's her name? Income? Religion? DV history? Child count (hers, adopted, foster, or kinship)? Housing situation? IQ? Cognitive ability? Multiaxial? Psychosocial?

You don't know the answers to any of these, but these are all questions that we ask to determine who is eligible for what.

There's no excuse for her rudeness, but don't judge what you don't know.

How does what you said address buying snacks on food stamps? How does what you said address the use of the handicapped parking space?

yeah the ones that kill me are the ones walking around wearing Tommy Hilfiger Shoes and FUBU clothes with so much gold in their mouth itd take my entire annual income to pay for it walking into a grocery store buying thick ass T Bone steaks and Filet Mignot all kinds of foods that most average people cant afford to buy. they have gold chains around their neck looking like Mr. T and a nice assed watch and drive a lexus, BMW, or a Mercedes and buy their food with welfare...

then want to complain that "Da Man be holdin us down!!!" no ********* youre holding yourself down. They choose to live in run down "Gubment Housin" because they dont want to pay to live in a better neighborhood but yet tehy have 60" Flat Screem Plasma TV's and nicer furniture then most everyone else...

and still feel like they are owed "Reparations" what has this country come to?

Hate me if you wish, but you know what I am saying is true

"An Obama Nation is an Abomination!!" RdsknsFtbll Oct 2008

That is complete bull**** that she is using her food stamps to fuel her obesity. Regardless of her mental health or income or whatever questions NC21 would ask her, she shouldn't be allowed to completely abuse that money because she has a 60lb sweet tooth. I'm sure she sees it as her "right" to buy whatever she wants, too.

Give me a break.

The human being is very adept at making split-second decisions and judgments based on brief observations. With close observation you can infer tons about someone based on brief encounters, its an evolutionary advantage.

For example, in our advanced leadership psychology course at VMI we first learn that from an initial interaction with another person, 60-70% of our initial inferences are accurate with a standard deviation of about 10%. Its the other 30% that's tougher and takes more interaction.

And all that happens in the first 8 seconds...

yeah the ones that kill me are the ones walking around wearing Tommy Hilfiger Shoes and FUBU clothes with so much gold in their mouth itd take my entire annual income to pay for it walking into a grocery store buying thick ass T Bone steaks and Filet Mignot all kinds of foods that most average people cant afford to buy. they have gold chains around their neck looking like Mr. T and a nice assed watch and drive a lexus, BMW, or a Mercedes and buy their food with welfare...

then want to complain that "Da Man be holdin us down!!!" no ********* youre holding yourself down. They choose to live in run down "Gubment Housin" because they dont want to pay to live in a better neighborhood but yet tehy have 60" Flat Screem Plasma TV's and nicer furniture then most everyone else...

Yes. In the spirit of "you're a bigot" I will hate away. Racist.

See it all the time. I love it when they buy what they can with the food stamps and then spend over a hundred on booze and cigarettes, which they've separated out on the conveyor. Kids standing there on cell phones. Drives me crazy. I completely agree. It should be staples only. There should be an approved shopping list handed out with the stamps.

I feel for you if you can't afford an occasional T-bone.... they are yummy.

as to the rest of it.... meh.

I think the fat people threads are my favorite.

Loved the post by skinfan about 60-70% accurate inferences. I'm not even going to research it more because it makes complete sense. An obese person, especially one of the ilk that zoony described, naturally leads to mostly accurate assumptions. Obese people are lazy! How else did they get that way? I have no idea why this is such an "unfair" assertion.

Disclaimer: I know there are some fat people that can't help it due to genetics, blah blah. Not even close to a majority.

Archived