Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Debate Series: What sport rules each major sports city? (Currently debating Dallas, starting page 4)

Forehead

Northern Ohio is football country, and Cleveland is a football town. In some ways the fate of Browns fans parallels that of Redskins fans in that they hold on to past glory as they hope for future glory - only Cleveland fans have to reach WAY back for their era of dominance - back to the 1960s of Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly...

Alright, Cleveland seems to be overwhelmingly a football town. Remember, as always, it's sport, not team, which is an important distinction if we get to towns with more than 1 team in a sport.

I think Dallas is next. If I skip a city alphabetically that qualifies, let me know. This is probably obvious, but it's between the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and Texas Rangers (I believe they count as a Dallas baseball team).

You know nothing about the city of Boston, do you?
Only that it's the capital of Mass, politically liberal, and has a college and university :pfft:

EDIT: Oh, and :dallasuck but OBVIOUSLY the Cowpukes.

I still think it might be, but enough people went football, including the guy that lived there for a decade. Make your case for the opposite, it can be changed.

Alright well I think it's a baseball town, as I've been there dozens of times and lived in the Northwest Indiana area most my life. Football is very important in Chicago, don't get me wrong as most of the college football fans are ND fans due to the lack of a relevant team closer than them. But baseball has been *the* dominant sport in Chicago for the last twenty years. The White Sox don't quite get the dominant attendance figures, but the Cubs more than make up for that during the year. The Bears sell out because...well it's football, and any enormous city is going to sell out eight games a year in the nation's most popular sport. But if anyone in the Chicago area can look me in the eye and tell me that a Cubs World Series win wouldn't mean as much as a Bears Super Bowl -appearance-, I would laugh my ass off. Chicago IS baseball and it has been my whole life. The Bears have a pretty dedicated fan base but at this point it seems like the only reason they still watch is to piss off Packer fans.

Archived