Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Debate Series: What sport rules each major sports city? (Currently debating Dallas, starting page 4)

Forehead

Why is it pro only? College sports rule a lot of areas.

Agreed.

I get the aspect of trying to figure it out for each city amongst the major four sports, but taking college football or basketball out of the equation makes it a little bit tougher.

Alright well I think it's a baseball town, as I've been there dozens of times and lived in the Northwest Indiana area most my life. Football is very important in Chicago, don't get me wrong as most of the college football fans are ND fans due to the lack of a relevant team closer than them. But baseball has been *the* dominant sport in Chicago for the last twenty years. The White Sox don't quite get the dominant attendance figures, but the Cubs more than make up for that during the year. The Bears sell out because...well it's football, and any enormous city is going to sell out eight games a year in the nation's most popular sport. But if anyone in the Chicago area can look me in the eye and tell me that a Cubs World Series win wouldn't mean as much as a Bears Super Bowl -appearance-, I would laugh my ass off. Chicago IS baseball and it has been my whole life. The Bears have a pretty dedicated fan base but at this point it seems like the only reason they still watch is to piss off Packer fans.
Well i think we can all agree that the White Sox are dead last in the eyes of Chicago. LMAO

One of my cousins was born and raised in Chicago, he's a huge Chicago sports fan, and he loves the White Sox and hates the Cubs with a passion. According to him, a lot of Cubs fans are soft and sort of fairweather, and the Cubs just get a lot of attention because of their coverage on WGN and Wrigley field being a popular tourist spot.

Cubs are probably the more popular team of the two, numbers wise, but they're also kind of the more "wine & cheese" crowd, so I don't know how that plays into this discussion.

Charlotte - Football (but only because we're not allowing college in the discussion. Duke and UNC trump the Panthers popularity) However, if the Bobcats could ever get their act together for a few years and make it DEEP into the playoffs, i think that city's love of basketball, in tandem with a ****ty season by the Panthers, could give the Bobcats a 1 or 2 year run at the top. Crazy? On the surface sure...but don't the Bobcats have a pretty young team? People like watching the young guys succeed.

Dallas - Football

Denver - Football

Next

Baltimore, Buffalo, and Cincinnati aren't "major" sports cities since each only has 2 teams (O's and Ravens; Sabers and Bills; Reds and Bengals respectively). I think to be considered a "major" sports city you need team in at least 3 of the 4 major pro sports.

Detriot is a hockey town. It helps the Red Wings that they're the only team in the city to have success in forever, especially consistent success.

Baltimore, Buffalo, and Cincinnati aren't "major" sports cities since each only has 2 teams (O's and Ravens; Sabers and Bills; Reds and Bengals respectively). I think to be considered a "major" sports city you need team in at least 3 of the 4 major pro sports.

Detriot is a hockey town. It helps the Red Wings that they're the only team in the city to have success in forever, especially consistent success.

By your reckoning, that means:

Atlanta

Boston

Chicago

Cleveland

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

LA

Miami

Minneapolis-St. Paul

NYC

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Pittsbutgh

San Francisco Bay Area

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

NFL cities that would be left out:

Buffalo

Charlotte

Cincinnati

Green Bay

Indianapolis

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Nashville

New Orleans

San Diego

Seattle

We skipped over Baltimore, Buffalo, and Cincinnati. Oops.

All of those cities only have two teams, so these are interesting.

Buffalo's probably neck and neck between the Sabres and the Bills...i know people from the area who are ravenous for both. I guess i'd give the nod to the Sabres and hockey though if i had to.

Baltimore...i mean the Orioles are dreadful and have been forever. The Ravens have won a Superbowl in the last 10 years...i think anymore Baltimore has turned to the ole Pigskin.

Cincinnati......winning history in the Reds, but nothing as of late. The Bungles have been up and down in recent years, but they're glory days are far gone as well. Damn i dunno...i'm gonna say the Bengals just because the fans really care and that ownership is terrible. I could see the Reds being the big cheese there though if they could stay in contention for the next few years like they're doing this season.

Detroit's easy.....that's hockeytown. After that, it's probably the Pistons. Then the Lions, and finally the Tigers. Or vice versa on the last two...who knows. Or rather....Hockey, Basketball, Football/Baseball (either way).

By your reckoning, that means:...

Yeah, that's a pretty fair list in my opinion. I don't think you can be a "major" sports city if you only have 1 team like Green Bay. Also remember that this isn't my list, so my opinion doesn't mean **** compared to the OP's. But of the list you made that wouldn't qualify:

Buffalo-only 2 teams, and in danger of losing the Bills. They shouldn't qualify

Charlotte-I would hardly consider this city to be a major sports hub...at least of pro sports anyway

Cincinnati-Bengals and Reds. Maybe if they were consistent winners you could make the argument. Sure it's arbitrary, but since you're asking based on my previous arbitrary measurement it counts here :pfft:

Green Bay-Only has the Packers, 1 team, no matter how good or historied, shouldn't qualify you for a list

Indianapolis-Maybe if you count NASCAR as a sport, this could make the list. Probably 1 of the 2 on here that could concievably make the jump

Jacksonville-Jaguars and....who? Honestly I can't think of another team here, and the Jags are always in danger of blackouts because they can't sell out the stadium. Miami and college sports greatly overshadow this city in the state of FL

Kansas City-Chief and Royals. See Cincinnati.

Nashville-Titans and probably some NHL team that I'm unaware of. Most of Tennessee is like Charlotte: big into college sports, not so big on the pro team

New Orleans- I'll give you the Saints. They have always loved the Saints. I think they have an NBA team to. This is with Indy of the 2 cities I could see making the jump up

San Diego- Charger and Padres. I could maybe see this city making the jump, but since it has to compete with SF/Oakland/LA in the California sports landscape it sort of loses out based on a numbers game.

Seattle- Seahawks and Mariners: 2 teams that always seem to have great potential that they can never fulfill.

There you have it, justification/rationale for my arbitrary qualifications.

Yeah, my short list above includes only cities/urban areas that have 3 or more of the big 4. Baltimore would qualify because they lump it in with DC on the list. However, I thought combining the two in ES would be stupid and insulting. I say we just leave them off.

Yeah, my short list above includes only cities/urban areas that have 3 or more of the big 4. Baltimore would qualify because they lump it in with DC on the list. However, I thought combining the two in ES would be stupid and insulting. I say we just leave them off.

Is that why you have the "SF Bay Area?" I assume that means basically SF/Oakland as 1?

I think Seattle is one of the first cities in which you should include soccer as a legit pro sport which competes with the big dogs. I don't care if you think it's because they don't have an NBA or NHL franchise. The avg attendance at Sounders games last year was 31,000+...that's 4,000 more than the Mariners' avg.

I think Seattle is one of the first cities in which you should include soccer as a legit pro sport which competes with the big dogs. I don't care if you think it's because they don't have an NBA or NHL franchise. The avg attendance at Sounders games last year was 31,000+...that's 4,000 more than the Mariners' avg.

Yeah the Sounders have a great fanbase...but you gotta put the Mariners over them simply because of Ken Griffey Jr. The fanbase he created in the 90's is just too big.

Seattle is football anyway.

And why are we already on Seattle?

Boston is definitely Red Sox, given that the fans were die hard for them even before they won their first World series in like 100 years. The recent surge in Celtics supporters is due to lame bandwagoning that will soon disappear.

I agree with Chicago = Cubs as well. They haven't won a world series in over 100 years, and they still rabidly support their team.

No. Boston is the Red Sox by FAR. It's not even remotely close believe me.

I don't. Our Financial Head Quarters is located in Boston and I'm telling you, I don't see it that way. I can get tickets to a Sox Game but there are never tickets for a Celtics Game. I think they are Basketball.

I don't. Our Financial Head Quarters is located in Boston and I'm telling you, I don't see it that way. I can get tickets to a Sox Game but there are never tickets for a Celtics Game. I think they are Basketball.

I live in Boston. The Red Sox ARE that city. TD Garden was empty before the new Big 3 was put together. The Bruins drew in more fans.

Archived