Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Debate Series: What sport rules each major sports city? (Currently debating Dallas, starting page 4)

Forehead

OK, so as an update to the OP, here's the list as it stands at the moment:

Atlanta - Baseball Town

Boston - Baseball Town

Chicago - Football Town (Possibly up for debate still)

Cleveland - Football Town

-----------(end of OP)

Dallas- Football

Denver- Football

Detroit- Hockey

Houston-Basketball (more input needed)

How Chicago isn't ruled by their precious Cubbies. is beyond me...anyone who knows anyone from Chi-Town KNOWS its a Baseball town hands down.

Houston...thats a tough one. How a team that just became good this past season all of a sudden rules that city is beyond me. Their beloved Rockets have actually won NBA titles...Basketball town IMO...Not to mention they lost a football team before.

How Chicago isn't ruled by their precious Cubbies. is beyond me...anyone who knows anyone from Chi-Town KNOWS its a Baseball town hands down.

There were a lot of votes for baseball based on the Cubs, but a couple of people chimed in with the Bears, which is why I think it's still technically up for debate. 15 years ago it would have been basketball, but that's because of the 6 championships in the 90's. Personally my vote would go to baseball, the Cubs are to Chicago what the Red Sox are to Boston. And despite the White Sox being basically the step-son team, the fact that Chicago has 2 baseball teams (LA, NY, and the SF/Oak metro area also have 2 teams) should give it more creedance.

BTW, as others have said....excellent sig man.

BTW, as others have said....excellent sig man.

Thanks...if only I could be a grain of sand on those bikini bottoms...

As for the Cubbies, I know Chi-Town loves their Bears, but their passion is definitely for their Cubbies...exactly like your comparison to Boston...and the same reasons why the Sox have such a deep rooted fanbase...They are their lovable losers.

Chicago is a Cubs tow by far. The Bears are number two, but if the Cubs win a World Series, there would be riots that would make South American soccer fans say "Geez, calm down. It's just a game."

Definitely agree based on a few relatives in Illinois.

Ok, I vote we move on to Houston. And I think Houston is equivalent to Dallas: since the entire state of Texas is football-crazy, I think Houston is a football town. Like the Browns, the fans of Houston lost a team and got one back because of determination.[/quote

It was a football town with the Oilers not so sure about the Texans. I'de lean NBA or MLB right now.

Chicago is a Cubs tow by far. The Bears are number two, but if the Cubs win a World Series, there would be riots that would make South American soccer fans say "Geez, calm down. It's just a game."

One thing. South America, hell, Mexico, cares more about soccer than we do about ANY sports including football.

That's only because it has been 100+ years since they've won. The Bulls sell out every game. The Bears sell out every game.

My friend is from Chicago and she says it's the Bears without question.

My friend is from Chicago and she says it's the Bears without question.

I was friends with 4 guys from Chicago in college. They were adament about Chicago being a baseball town, and especially a Cubs town. When teh cubs won the divisional round of the playoffs in '03 to advance to the NLCS, 3 (the 4th was a senior in HS that year) of them wrote "Cubs win!" in sidewalk chalk all over campus. Hell, our freshman year was the Steve Bartman incident, and I really thought one of the guys was gonna kill somebody over it. When the Bears went to the SB agasint the Colts they were happy, but none of them seemed nearly as devastated over the loss as they did over the Cubs losing a playoff game.

Ok then, since this died and I'm bored, we'll move on from Houston, which is apparently a Basketball town, to LA

LA: gotta be basketball. Whether it's the Lakers or, to a lesser degree, the Clippers, the celebrities in LA love their basketball teams, and the Lakers have always had a huge presence in the city.

Archived