Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the first Redskin you cheered for

Burgold

When I turned 10 I was playing my second year of tackle football. TV was not what is today, you know no NFL ticket, no major cable or sattelite (from Canada), and a "big" black and white TV in my room.

I remember just starting to understand the game a bit more. I knew I was a corner back and wanted to watch who I would try and Be like or grow up like. It so happened that the first game i watched was Skins vs Lions. My old man asked if I was enjoying the game and asked who I was cheering for. Being 10 of course I am going to cheer for the team that was winning at that time, so I said the Redskins. (Thank god The Lions were not winning), him being a long time Rams fan, just said to me....."good choice".

Anyway it just happend the two guys that my father said played my position were Vernon Dean and Darrell Green, and I was hooked for life.

theismann for myself... he was cool, he wore number 7 and he was the leader of my favorite team.

Also, b/c Billy Kilmer cried when he got benched in favor or #7 - I was in 3rd grade or something and I laughed at that.

My parents got me a Mike Thomas jersey for Christmas and I was soooo pissed it wasnt Theismann...

Naw. For me it was seeing a team that just looked totally different than the others. A QB with a single-bar facemask. An O-Line completely dominate a game at times. A straight-toe kicker. And an RB that looked more like a small lineman, right down to his facemask. Later I came to like how a Joe Gibbs team played. Especially the winning.

Yeah I jumped on the bandwagon back then, but haven't stopped being a Skins fan since.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The different nicknames sold me too. The Over the Hill Gang, Slingin' Sammy, The Hogs & Hogettes, Smurfs, The Posse, Fun Bunch, Diesel, MEAST (AREA 51) and Chief Zee.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

I was lucky to begin watching the Redskins during the 1972 Super Bowl season. At that point I was hooked for life. From that team and the following years I loved many of the players but on offense I was a fan of Larry Brown and Billy Kilmer (see sig) and on defense, it was Chris Hanburger and Pat Fisher (he is my size!)

Through the years, I realized it is the team and not the players, but some players are truly Redskins for life.

Charley Taylor :yes:...I couldn't stop watching him back when I was a kid. He made me want to become a receiver, and I had to play receiver during backyard football games (hated being the QB lol).

42 was the man back in my youth. You just had to watch the guy because you knew he was going to do something remarkable each and every game.

Though I never became a wr.......

Archived