Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the first Redskin you cheered for

Burgold

The earliest season I can remember is the '95 season. I was a BIG fan of Stephen Davis back in the day.

Two random questions about Stephen Davis:

1) Why did the team let him go in 2002/2003 (whenever it was) when he had just come off two Pro Bowl 1400+ seasons?

2) Why did he resign with Carolina just to retire a Panther? Was it because he helped lead them to a Super Bowl? They didn't win that one so it seems like he would have more loyalty to the Skins since we drafted him and he played for DC for much longer.

Two random questions about Stephen Davis:

1) Why did the team let him go in 2002/2003 (whenever it was) when he had just come off two Pro Bowl 1400+ seasons?

2) Why did he resign with Carolina just to retire a Panther? Was it because he helped lead them to a Super Bowl? They didn't win that one so it seems like he would have more loyalty to the Skins since we drafted him and he played for DC for much longer.

More knowledgeable posters can correct this if I'm wrong:

1. He really was on the decline after years of being very good for us, he was nowhere near as effective with the Panthers. And because our idiot front office thought a smash mouth tail-back didn't fit into Spurrier's Fun-N-Gun offense, so they brought in Trung Canidate instead.

2. My guess is he's bitter at us for being stupid. Which is somewhat justified.

edit: Davis played lights-out for the Panthers in 2003, but it was nearing the end of a long 11 year career.

1. He really was on the decline after years of being very good for us, he was nowhere near as effective with the Panthers. And because our idiot front office thought a smash mouth tail-back didn't fit into Spurrier's Fun-N-Gun offense, so they brought in Trung Canidate instead.

edit: Davis played lights-out for the Panthers in 2003, but it was nearing the end of a long 11 year career.

I HATED it when he left, I was glad however that he was able to put together a solid eason and play in a SB with Carolina, after all the flux that he had been in here.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The different nicknames sold me too. The Over the Hill Gang, Slingin' Sammy, The Hogs & Hogettes, Smurfs, The Posse, Fun Bunch, Diesel, MEAST (AREA 51) and Chief Zee.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Uh...whatever you said, whatever. Thanks for the sig. :beavisnbutthead:

1. He had the second best year of his career (tops yardage-wise) with the Panthers, so I'd say he was at least as effective with them as he was with us. Agreed that our FO is dumb to switch him out for Trung, though.

2. Yeah, he's bitter, plus he really did accomplish more with Carolina than he did with us. Yeah, we drafted him and yeah, he made his name in DC. However, he took Carolina to the Super Bowl and they tailored their offense around him. I think he probably should have retired a Redskin, but then you just have to look at all the angry stars we've alienated in the last 11 years to see why he didn't.

My earliest specific Redskins memory is watching Darryl Green returning a punt for a touchdown against the Bears in the 1987 Divisional Playoffs. He hurdled a defender on the way to the end zone and tore his rib cartilage but still scored holding his chest to break a 14-14 tie and win the game. Its still one of the most amazing and memorable plays I have ever seen in any sport and without the 'Skins might have never made it to the Super Bowl.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vykn16DAQ0I&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vykn16DAQ0I&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He left because Spurrier was coming in with his "fun n gun" passing attack, and he figured he wouldn't get as many carries in that offense, that was the MAIN reason he got out of dodge. Also the Skins werent willing to pay him a ton of $.

EDIT: Also the Skins were strapped against the cap that year, they couldnt afford to resign him to a high priced contract, and they actually waived him and cut him loose i just remembered

Honestly, I was mostly all about watching plays unfold until Sean Taylor came around. I looked for him to enter the screen on every play, oftentimes missing the actual play being made because I was waiting for him to blaze through the screen. These days, I'm back to just watching plays unfold again, not really focusing on one player that much.

yeah thats what i noticed most....the hammer that flew in there and shut it down...gone....dude was elite.......by far my favorite skin

1. He had the second best year of his career (tops yardage-wise) with the Panthers, so I'd say he was at least as effective with them as he was with us. Agreed that our FO is dumb to switch him out for Trung, though.

2. Yeah, he's bitter, plus he really did accomplish more with Carolina than he did with us. Yeah, we drafted him and yeah, he made his name in DC. However, he took Carolina to the Super Bowl and they tailored their offense around him. I think he probably should have retired a Redskin, but then you just have to look at all the angry stars we've alienated in the last 11 years to see why he didn't.

I'm going strictly on impressions here, I'm a Skins fan, but here in NC the panthers games get first dibs on airtime.

Davis did well when he first played for the panthers. But after that he was doing no better than other RBs in their lineup. Carolina's O-Line was vastly underrated at the time. After Davis left, you could pretty much plug in any RB and get decent production. He played banged up after one good year, and wasn't close to the same RB he was with us.

Agreed on all the rest you said.

The first Redskin, or in fact first NFL game i ever saw, was the 1983 Superbowl when i was 7.

The first player i really cheered for in that game was Riggins, i loved the way he ran.

The first Redskins performance that i remember making me go 'wow', was Timmy Smith rushing for 200+yards against the Broncos in the 88 Superbowl.

I watched my first Redskins game back in the 70s. There's been so many Redskins. The first Redskins players I ever cheered for was a TightEnd named Jean Fuget. He played for the Redskins in the late 1970s. He wore #84.

I liked Fuget, but just so you know, we got him from Dallas. :dallasuck

Archived