Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the first Redskin you cheered for

Burgold

When you became a conscious of the sport and found the Redskins there must have been a player or a moment that grabbed your attention. Who was the first player that made you go "wow" that you were a fan of? Who was your first Redskin hero?

I honestly can't really remember. I was lucky enough to be a kid discovering football as Joe Gibbs first came to the Redskins. So, my youth were a bunch of highlight years. There are plays I can close my eyes and see... Darrell jumping out of his ribs to beat the Bears in the playoffs. The Riggo Drill. Dexter ringing Danny White's clock. Neil Olkiewitz chasing down Bo Jackson in his prime.

But that first moment of wow that hooked me in? The first player I wanted to emulate and be? If I had to guess it was probably Joe Theismann, but I don't know if I'm right.

Do you know? Can you spell out that magic moment?

My name and Sig

Pops starting taking me to games to games when I was 5, and seeing big Dave walk off the field with his son on his shoulders carrying his helmet had me hooked , guess I was about 9-10 when I first took notice. Wore #65 playing ball in HS and semi pro

Naw. For me it was seeing a team that just looked totally different than the others. A QB with a single-bar facemask. An O-Line completely dominate a game at times. A straight-toe kicker. And an RB that looked more like a small lineman, right down to his facemask. Later I came to like how a Joe Gibbs team played. Especially the winning.

Yeah I jumped on the bandwagon back then, but haven't stopped being a Skins fan since.

I'm a little older so I go back to the George Allen years. There were too many good players I liked back then but I guess if I had to name just one player it would be Sonny. But I was a big fan of Larry Brown and Charlie Taylor, Roy Jefferson, Little Pat Fisher, Chris Handburger and sooooooooo many more.

I remember as a kid I would go wherever the redskins were making appearances (I had great parents that would take me) and I remember one time Billy Kilmer, Charlie Taylor and Lary Brown were going to be at Landover Mall signing autographs. I was in line to get Charlie Taylor's and before I could hand him my pad one of the organizers had three ice cream cones (one for each player) and handed it to Charlie and he said he didn't want it and asked me if I wanted it and of course I said yes. I was one happy kid. My mom asked me where I got the ice cream cone from and when I told her, she didn't believe me at first until I got Mr. Taylor to confirm. Definately special cherrished memories for me.

Honestly, I was mostly all about watching plays unfold until Sean Taylor came around. I looked for him to enter the screen on every play, oftentimes missing the actual play being made because I was waiting for him to blaze through the screen. These days, I'm back to just watching plays unfold again, not really focusing on one player that much.

Guest Spearfeather

I can't really narrow it down to one in the beginning. Riggins quickly became my favorite though. I used to like watching Benny Malone run the ball because he had a peculiar way of running. Danny Buggs and Ricky Thompson also.

Honestly, I was mostly all about watching plays unfold until Sean Taylor came around. I looked for him to enter the screen on every play, oftentimes missing the actual play being made because I was waiting for him to blaze through the screen. These days, I'm back to just watching plays unfold again, not really focusing on one player that much.
Exactly how I feel.

This pretty much mirrors me.

RIP Sean :(

I love the D. Green Punt Return hurting Ribs TD. But the biggest memory that just gets me every time is the 1991 Season around week 8-10 (can't remember the exact week) Skins Undefeated played a Sunday night game at NYG and Gary Clark with his trash bag sleeves scored a TD and did what seemed like a victory lap around their stadium after scoring a Long TD catch. For whatever reason that game and play made me fall in love with Gary Clark as a player. i believe we had struggled the 3-4 yrs against Giants leading up to that game. I ended up getting the Posse poster with the guys in front of the Washington monument with fake cowboys and horse tied up(so sweet). I have lived in FL my whole life my father and grandfather are from VA and instilled the Skins in my blood. So back then games were hard to come buy there wasn't the NFl ticket.

HAIL

#44 and #7. It was 1982, I was 11, and I had recently discovered the Washington Post sports page. It seemed like every day there was something on those two, or Cal Ripken, or Patrick Ewing winning championships. It was a magical time in DC sports and I have been hooked ever since.

Archived