Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the first Redskin you cheered for

Burgold

Darrell Green. He was the one bright spot on otherwise dismal Redskins teams from my childhood. He was out there every week, constantly making the big play and performing to the best of his ability. I always expected the Redskins to lose, but I'd always expect Darrell to have a great game.

Honestly, I was mostly all about watching plays unfold until Sean Taylor came around. I looked for him to enter the screen on every play, oftentimes missing the actual play being made because I was waiting for him to blaze through the screen. These days, I'm back to just watching plays unfold again, not really focusing on one player that much.

-my exact sentiments... I used to go to games and literally watch Taylor the entire time on defense, he was remarkable both on and off the screen.

Honestly, I was mostly all about watching plays unfold until Sean Taylor came around. I looked for him to enter the screen on every play, oftentimes missing the actual play being made because I was waiting for him to blaze through the screen. These days, I'm back to just watching plays unfold again, not really focusing on one player that much.

I' have to say the same thing for me. Before ST there was never 1 player I could call my favorite on the team.

My first memories of being a Redskin fan was thinking how funny it was that we had a guy named Bacon and another guy named Hamburger on the team. :)

The first player I remember watching and cheering for was Danny Buggs, then Theismann and Riggins soon after.

Then Joe Gibbs came along and the rest is history.

I remember going to my grandparents place and not being all that into the Skins back then, but that's where it started. I heard a lot of "Darrel Green" and "Art Monk" back then, so those guys were the first, but I wasn't really in to football that much through grade school until Fantasy Football caught on in high school.

I rooted for the team forever but the first two I remember really rooting for are Bobby Mitchell and Norm Snead. :point2sky

Then 1964 came and so did Sonny, Sam, Charley Taylor and Paul Krause - what a great year for a twelve year old fan! :drooley:

BTW - I have never forgiven Otto for trading Krause to the Minnesota Vikings for linebacker Marlin McKeever and a seventh-round draft choice in 1968! :redpunch::tantrum::cuss:

1965 brought Chris Hanburger and I knew I wanted to be a LB.

:helmet:The Rook

Guest Spearfeather
My first memories of being a Redskin fan was thinking how funny it was that we had a guy named Bacon and another guy named Hamburger on the team. :)

The first player I remember watching and cheering for was Danny Buggs, then Theismann and Riggins soon after.

Then Joe Gibbs came along and the rest is history.

Since our responses were so much alike, I have to ask about the '79 game against the Cowboys. How long did it take to get over that one?

When I was 6 and first getting into the game, I liked Larry Brown, Charlie Taylor and Sonny on offense and Mike Bass on defense. Yes, I knew the players when I was 6.

However, when I was a teenager and Gibbs came to town I cheered for the Hogs, Joey T, Art Monk, Gary Clark, Riggins and Darrell Green.

For me it has never been that one player.

However as a kid I was always wowed by a player that was not on the skins and that was Kenny "the Snake" Stabler. He is and will always be a Wow player to me, even though he's not a skin.

There is no question that Theismann was the very first Redskin that made me cheer. I can't remember the exact game (i assume it was a playoff game)...but I was plopped down in front of the tv as a young child (while my parents made themselves some drinks) and I just watched...

Joe Thiesmann, single-bar face mask, uniform dirty as can be, scrambling, throwing, and screaming at his teammates to carry on. I witnessed a true leader that day and instantly fell in love with the uniform that leader represented.

Archived