Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

renaissance does not understand: the love for lady gaga

renaissance

**Just woke up and am cranky. Will have a legit response later.**

It's incredible how juvenile grown men can become when talking about Lady Gaga. The hatred, the attacking of other members, etc., while telling people to turn in their man cards because they don't understand the difference between liking something and appreciating it.

Here's a newsflash: If you're in this thread, then you're talking about her. There's an infinite number of other things to do, but this is what you're choosing to do with your life right now. Better turn in your mancard since you're doing this instead of shooting al-Qaeda, right? :jerk:

Pearls before swine.

Because that is my opinion.

Madonna was fresh, new, shocked the industry, raised the bar.

Lady Gaga, is a cookie cutter of the industry to be "shockful". IMO, she is very unoriginal and doesn't really deserve the press she gets.

Waiting for you to post something like Lady Gaga.

She is another Pink. Or a female Marilyn Manson.

Gone in two years. Totally worthless.

Failed here. Look at P!nk's career record.

Fail x1. Just because YOU don't agree with what people say, does not make the other people wrong.

That is YOUR Opinion. Others are deserving of theirs as well. Sure you may have this view, which is your right. But you were not even a part of the time when Madonna came onto the scene, so all you are comparing to is what you have seen on what? The internet? VH1? MTV?

You went from the Grunge movement to Lady Gaga being one of your favorite artists?

Sorry, you lost all credibility with me! :saber:

OMG, I hate to say it... MCD5 got this one spot on. Though I think Pink is more talented.

1) I wouldn't go on and question my masculinity if you're 30 years old and saying "OMG". ;)

2) My best friend is becoming a massive force in the music industry (and no, I'm not giving his name online). He knew about Kings of Leon in 2002, about seven years before "Sex On Fire" even came out. He predicted the time that nu metal would end and that Linkin Park would not fall with it. He consistently knows what will be popular in five years. Hell, he got me into the Editors release party the day after they played Letterman as I said that I was some VP of Sony. Of course, that's one resource. You know that there's more out there to music than just VH1, Rolling Stone, Spin, and MTV, right?

3) Did you know that you can like more than one type of music? Sorry that I don't live in a box defined by Sandman69.

She is not some revolutionary Pop, singer. Don't even try it. Her style? Seriously? Even her most popular stuff sounds like some beats I heard at the clubs when I was in college 15 years ago.

I didn't say that she was revolutionary; I said that she was the best to come out in a quarter-century. I stand by that. She also does have a very unique spin on glam-pop.

Lady Gaga isn't the best pop singer since Madonna. She's not even currently the best out there. Its Taylor Swift...by a mile. And don't try and say that she's country. She's more pop than country. And she also writes her own songs. And needless to say, they are infinitely better than that crap of Lady Gaga's.

That's an opinion. She is country-pop and more another iteration of teeny-bop music. I won't say that she's not talented, because she is, but she's not as special as you're making her out to be.

Apparently, NewCliche21 does.

As I said above, using "OMG" in your post and "69" in your handle doesn't exactly secure your masculinity. :)

And skinsfan13 = win.

Lady Gaga is so talented. Please.:ols:

Insert name here: "Alanis Morrisette is so talented."

"Jewel is so talented."

"Sarah McLachan is so talented."

See how that works?

Aside from Spartacus, who probably owns her entire cd set, can anyone really name a Sarah McLachlan song today? Who is going to see Sarah this Friday night?

How do you define success? I mean you appear to have lost your mind with your list above. Let's look a little closer:

Alanis Morissette:

- Won two American music awards.

- Won seven Grammy Awards

- Put out 7 albums over 17 years.

- Albums enjoyed 20x US Platinum

Sarah McLachlan

- Won three Grammy Awards.

- Put out 7 albums over 22 years. (including her latest which released 2 weeks ago)

- Her albums went platinum 14 times over in the US.

Jewel had a shorter successful period than the previous two but:

- Put out 7 albums over 15 years (last three didn't do much)

- First three albums went US platinum 17 times over.

- Won #1 Female Singles Artist Of The Year

You really have to be defining success narrowly for the above three to be characterized as having been flashes in the pan. For any rational human being all three enjoyed successful music careers.

How do you define success? I mean you appear to have lost your mind with your list above. Let's look a little closer:

Alanis Morissette:

- Won two American music awards.

- Won seven Grammy Awards

- Put out 7 albums over 17 years.

- Albums enjoyed 20x US Platinum

Sarah McLachlan

- Won three Grammy Awards.

- Put out 7 albums over 22 years. (including her latest which released 2 weeks ago)

- Her albums went platinum 14 times over in the US.

Jewel had a shorter successful period than the previous two but:

- Put out 7 albums over 15 years (last three didn't do much)

- First three albums went US platinum 17 times over.

- Won #1 Female Singles Artist Of The Year

You really have to be defining success narrowly for the above three to be characterized as having been flashes in the pan. For any rational human being all three enjoyed successful music careers.

Dude, if they're not on 99.5 right now, then they don't matter. Dumbass.

Also, you didn't answer the question. Are you seeing her Friday night just like Madonna is playing Friday night? I DIDN'T THINK SO!!! GO BETTS!!!!!!!

Because that is my opinion.

Madonna was fresh, new, shocked the industry, raised the bar.

Lady Gaga, is a cookie cutter of the industry to be "shockful". IMO, she is very unoriginal and doesn't really deserve the press she gets.

"Borderline" raised the bar?

Madonna's first two albums were kind of blah musically with the exception of Material Girl, which is just an incredible pop song. Even her "look" was not terribly revolutionary. I would say that Cindy Lauper's fashion sense was just possibly more ahead of the curve in '84 and '85. No one dresses like Madonna in '85 any more.

"True Blue" was probably the album where she "raised the bar." That was when she went from pop star to icon. "Papa Don't Preach" was hugely controversial and a great song. She also dressed like a human being in the video. "Open Your Heart" was the boustier video. "La Isla Bonita" was the first baby step into "world" art (and is still a surprisingly sophisticated song). I think the real key was dumping Nile Rodgers, who has always been far more interested in being trendy in the very moment than creating trends.

Are people really implying that Lady Gaga is close to what Madonna did in the 80's? And I certainly don't care for Madonna. Lady Gaga's music is nothing groundbreaking, it's just catchy synthesizer beats sung by a flamboyantly dressed woman...so...?

In all honesty, most of you people are not smart enough to have these kinds of conversations.

Please explain in 200 words or less how "Lucky Star" is NOT catchy synthesizer beats sungs by a flamboyantly dressed woman.

When Madonna was first starting out, there were four legitimate female pop superstars - Madonna, Debbie Harry, Pat Benatar, and Cindy Lauper. At the time, if you were asked to name who would be relevent in 1990, Madonna would have come in fourth.

Seriously, everyone forgets the Cindy vs. Madonna battle. Cindy always had the better voice, was edgier musically, and seemed just as hip for a while. Madonna had a better long-term business plan apparently.

[quote name=McD5;7609396

"Sarah McLachan is so talented."

See how that works?

Aside from Spartacus' date=' who probably owns her entire cd set, can anyone really name a Sarah McLachlan song today? Who is going to see Sarah this Friday night?

[/quote]

I would say Sarah McLachlan is talented. She still has a huge audience. I would note there are sub-segments of her audience you probably don't know about unless you belong to it. Among survivors of assaults, she seems to have a huge audience, but maybe that is just the people I know. She and Tori Amos have huge followings because their songs seem to resonate with a fairly large :( segment of society. Note: I am not saying all survivors like their music. I am simply saying their music speaks to a target audiance in a way you may not understand.

For the record, I would still say Better than Chocolate and Hold On are down right good songs by Sarah Mclachlan.

I wonder if she's this generation's Elton John... certainly has the flamboyant aspect

Interesting comparison and one I had not thought of, but seems very appropriate. If she proves to have the staying power she just could be.

Interesting comparison and one I had not thought of, but seems very appropriate. If she proves to have the staying power she just could be.

Except that Elton John's style flamboyance really didn't emerge until well after he had established himself as a pop musician. Lady Gaga's wild fashion personna has been her trademark from the get-go.

Except that Elton John's style flamboyance really didn't emerge until well after he had established himself as a pop musician. Lady Gaga's wild fashion personna has been her trademark from the get-go.

Bowie didn't become huge until he went with the theatrics. His early folkie stuff like Space Oddity all flopped.

I don't get why theatrics are bad. Gary Shider died last week. He was rightly mourned as an absolute musical genius and one of the great guitarists ever.

And he wore a diaper on stage for thirty years.

This past Friday night we went out with a group of friends for some seafood and then hit a local pub/bar. Lady GaGa was being played and everybody was dancing to it if that is any indication of how I feel about her music.

Will I buy her CD? No, but I won't change the station when her song comes on the radio. Like many have said, it's "catchy."

She's a unique talent and individual, but I can see why some people hate her and that is because she is successful. People hate to see others succeed in this country.

I'll agree that she's a bit out there, but it works for her and her bank account would prove that. Someone mentioned Pink earlier. She's another very talented artist and I have a feeling that those that don't like either of them can't get past their looks and judge them based solely on that.

BTW. I am very surprised at the overwhelming approval of Lady GaGa thus far.

Waiting for you to post something like Lady Gaga.

QUE?

What people aren't entitled to their opinions?

1) I wouldn't go on and question my masculinity if you're 30 years old and saying "OMG". ;)

You do know you can say OMG without a strong lisp right? Maybe you don't

2) My best friend is becoming a massive force in the music industry (and no, I'm not giving his name online). He knew about Kings of Leon in 2002, about seven years before "Sex On Fire" even came out. He predicted the time that nu metal would end and that Linkin Park would not fall with it. He consistently knows what will be popular in five years. Hell, he got me into the Editors release party the day after they played Letterman as I said that I was some VP of Sony. Of course, that's one resource. You know that there's more out there to music than just VH1, Rolling Stone, Spin, and MTV, right?

My response about VH1 and the like was a simple response to your assertion that all I did was a simple radio seek.

Lady Gaga is the best pure pop singer to come out since Madonna, and anyone who's followed the industry more than pressing "seek" on their radios would tell you the same.

I will give you that, if that is your opinion. Guess what it isn't mine.

3) Did you know that you can like more than one type of music? Sorry that I don't live in a box defined by Sandman69.

Your assuming I don't listen to more than one type of music, based on me not liking Lady Gaga. :ols:

As I said above, using "OMG" in your post and "69" in your handle doesn't exactly secure your masculinity. :)

I didn't realize this conversation was to assert my masculinity. Grow up. Lordy a 69 in my name... Big whoop. For the record I was born in 1969. What I am not allowed to use that in my handle because it refers to something else? I guess I should change my email accounts now huh.

I don't like Lady Gaga. Sorry if that ruins your day.

She can sell the most records ever, and guess what I still won't like her stuff. Unless she changes what she does, which I don't see that happening.

She's weird. She says things probably for attention.

But she is really good at what she does. I can't see myself being a fan, but I can understand why people are interested in her.

When her video comes on, I pause and watch for a min or so. Why not? Its so weird.

lady-gaga-rolling-stone-cov.jpg

Tell me she doesnt look like Bruno in this picture?

I saw an interview with her the other night. Not really that familiar with her songs or her video's before. Always kind of though of her as a younger wanabee Madona. Not an insult or anything just figured she was copying from one of the most sucessful women performers ever....

I came away from the interview with a changed mind a little bit. She's a pretty smart gal, and very well spoken. I saw one of her video's they played during the interview. I thought it was pretty well done, unique, and even interesting.

Why in the world are we arguing about Lady Gaga?

She sucks. Pop music sucks.

Are there really men who like to listen to Lady Gaga?

:ols: Never heard of it. Just youtubed it and got 45 secs in. Really???

Yep. I enjoy that song (though I am sick of it now because it got overplayed).

Why in the world are we arguing about Lady Gaga?

She sucks. Pop music sucks.

Are there really men who like to listen to Lady Gaga?

When surrounded by four beautiful women on the dance floor. Yes. I will listen to her everytime like this past Friday.:cool:

BTW country bumpkin. Do you watch wrestling? Serious question.

QUE?

What people aren't entitled to their opinions?

You said that she's unoriginal and cookie cutter. I'm waiting to find out who she is a copy of, that's all.

You do know you can say OMG without a strong lisp right? Maybe you don't

The lisp is irrelevant. Teenage girls say, "OMG." Check the cover of any teen girl magazine when you're in line at the grocery store.

My response about VH1 and the like was a simple response to your assertion that all I did was a simple radio seek.

Cool?

I will give you that, if that is your opinion. Guess what it isn't mine.

Your opinion is your opinion. You're entitled to it.

Your assuming I don't listen to more than one type of music, based on me not liking Lady Gaga. :ols:

1) "You're." If you're going to laugh at someone, then don't make yourself seem stupid, because I know that you're not if you're a fan of the Redskins, in the process. Just a hint.

2) Please quote me on where I said that, or are you just, OMG, exaggerating?

I didn't realize this conversation was to assert my masculinity. Grow up. Lordy a 69 in my name... Big whoop. For the record I was born in 1969. What I am not allowed to use that in my handle because it refers to something else? I guess I should change my email accounts now huh.

Well then I screwed up on that one. :(

I don't like Lady Gaga. Sorry if that ruins your day.

She can sell the most records ever, and guess what I still won't like her stuff. Unless she changes what she does, which I don't see that happening.

I'm not losing any sleep over what you do and do not like musically.

Archived