Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

renaissance does not understand: the love for lady gaga

renaissance

I saw an interview with her the other night. Not really that familiar with her songs or her video's before. Always kind of though of her as a younger wanabee Madona. Not an insult or anything just figured she was copying from one of the most sucessful women performers ever....

I came away from the interview with a changed mind a little bit. She's a pretty smart gal, and very well spoken. I saw one of her video's they played during the interview. I thought it was pretty well done, unique, and even interesting.

Lady Gaga is the musical and catchier equivalent of Tarantino. Go watch her "Telephone" video. 9:23 long and brilliant.

By the way, I love Pink. I mean, I'm 36, a Paul Westerberg completist, and I own pretty much everything she has released. Just thought I would share that.

Also, I'm not sure why, but Tiny Dancer has been stuck in my head for the last three hours. I may kill someone.

Apropos of nothing, "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" is the greatest Elton John song ever. Discuss.

On a side note, everyone should buy everything ever made by Jesus H. Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse. You can thank me later.

In addition, I am good with preopositions.

By the way' date=' I love Pink. I mean, I'm 36, a Paul Westerberg completist, and I own pretty much everything she has released. Just thought I would share that.

Also, I'm not sure why, but Tiny Dancer has been stuck in my head for the last three hours. I may kill someone.

Have you seen Almost Famous?

Apropos of nothing, "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" is the greatest Elton John song ever. Discuss.

I happen to agree. Which gets to your point about theatrics not necessarily being a bad thing for a musical act. I tend to agree, but it seems like the best of Elton John's stuff came out before the Donald Duck outfits and the electronic eyeglasses.

On a side note, everyone should buy everything ever made by Jesus H. Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse. You can thank me later.

I will google as I did with Gaslight Anthem. Maybe you'll be 2 for 2 on recommendations today.

In addition, I am good with preopositions.

I can't help but laugh at these guys that like to throw around the 'you lose your man card' childishness. Goes to show that their opinions have more to do with a lack of objectivity due to some fear of being looked at less than a man then a legitimate evaluation of whether this girl has talent or not.

Me? I'm not a fan of this type of music but, and others have repeatedly done an excellent job of pointing out WHY she has shown to be talented, intelligent, unique, etc., I cannot deny her popularity.

Sure, you're entitled to your own opinion. But, until you can post WHY and HOW you reached that conclusion beyond the fear of being considered less than a man, you have to accept the fact that you simply look like an insecure hater.

If the music doesn't meet my requirements of X, Y, and Z then it sucks! Right!

By the way' date=' I love Pink. I mean, I'm 36, a Paul Westerberg completist, and I own pretty much everything she has released. Just thought I would share that.

In addition, I am good with preopositions.[/quote']'

LKB, I am so glad that you are back on this board. That last line was amazing.

Also, I love the P!nk more from "I'm Not Dead" because of the pro-women's empowerment approach. Lately, she's just depressed over her divorce, which I can understand, but my daughter will be rocking out to "Stupid Girls" whenever she's born.

I can't help but laugh at these guys that like to throw around the 'you lose your man card' childishness. Goes to show that their opinions have more to do with a lack of objectivity due to some fear of being looked at less than a man then a legitimate evaluation of whether this girl has talent or not.

Me? I'm not a fan of this type of music but, and others have repeatedly done an excellent job of pointing out WHY she has shown to be talented, intelligent, unique, etc., I cannot deny her popularity.

Sure, you're entitled to your own opinion. But, until you can post WHY and HOW you reached that conclusion beyond the fear of being considered less than a man, you have to accept the fact that you simply look like an insecure hater.

If the music doesn't meet my requirements of X, Y, and Z then it sucks! Right!

Ding! You don't have to LIKE her in order to respect her. Just because you don't like her doesn't mean that she's not talented. I hate listening to Mozart. I'm not going to say that he's not talented. I hate listening to Phish, but they're very talented, too.

If you're claiming that liking Lady Gaga is turning in your man card, then you never had one to begin with. Sorry, but my masculinity is defined by way more than my opinion of Lady Gaga.

I hate lady gaga, but I hate Kesha even more. Anyone catch her on SNL singing ? I had to turn it off.

If you could mix-n-match Gaga's talent and stage act with Ke$ha's looks, that would be an unstoppable talent.

Actually Ke$ha might have some talent, her voice isn't horrible when she tries, but her song lyrics are absolutely juvenile to the point of insulting. It makes me wonder if Madonna wrote the lyrics for her.

If the public displays (drinking and barely dressed) Gaga put on recently during the two NY baseball games is a leading indicator, her life could be about to hit the greased rails to the Lindsay Lohan gutter.

NewCliche - I agree. I hate her music but I have told my friends she is actually very talented unlike say Kesha or whatever her name is and Spears.

She also has great music influences. Heck, she's named after a Queen song. She could be making much better music, at least IMO.

But in today's musical landscape you cannot blame her anymore than you can blame Soulja Boy for making songs that a 4th grader could improve on as long as they are raking in cash which they are.

(and no I'm not implying she's on Soulja Boy's level of mediocrity)

You said that she's unoriginal and cookie cutter. I'm waiting to find out who she is a copy of, that's all.

You really think she is ground breaking here? I find her to be trying to be what Madonna was. Shocking and Edgy. She may have a good voice, but her beats seem very ordinary and the changes are pretty standard pop movements. But that is my take on her. I don't begrudge anyone who likes her. To each their own.

For the record, I never mentioned anything about anyone's man card being revoked for liking her. And that it isn't my fear of losing mine, that I don't like Lady Gaga. I like Pink and think she is a much better singer than Gaga is. GaGa seems to always have massive effects on her voice. It may be for the type of pop she plays. I just think Pink is more.... "raw". I like that.

The lisp is irrelevant. Teenage girls say, "OMG." Check the cover of any teen girl magazine when you're in line at the grocery store.

So do a ton of other people on message boards. Get over it. I will leave the teen girl magazines to others that may find them entertaining.

1) "You're." If you're going to laugh at someone, then don't make yourself seem stupid, because I know that you're not if you're a fan of the Redskins, in the process. Just a hint.

Some folks may find it also stupid to be the Grammar police on message boards. It makes you look like a douche. Just a hint.

2) Please quote me on where I said that, or are you just, OMG, exaggerating?

3) Did you know that you can like more than one type of music? Sorry that I don't live in a box defined by Sandman69.

I don't know, but to me, that looks to mean that someone that is defined by my "sandbox" can't listen to more than one type of music. Since that is MY sandbox, the implication would be that I don't. I don't think I was, OMG, reaching.

being a former music elitist and an active metal head and huge Dream Theater fan as well as a fan of various classical/orchestral works, I definitely think there is something about Lady Gaga that sets her apart. I've played instruments before. I'm in no way qualified, but again, there is something that I can't quite explain off the top of my head.

I can listen to Katy Perry's one song, or Kesha's one song, or whoever else is big, and nothing stnads out. Same with Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Jessica Simpson, throw in the country ones like Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift. Shakira comes and goes as well, but I do give her credit as well.

But with pop music, the performance matters. All of them get by with performance. Christina Aquilera has a great voice too. Maybe most do and I just discredit them regardless. With Lady Gaga, you have someone who has a great voice and rarely tries to show it. Her performance/fashion/general style is what she portrays, and that is what is setting herself apart. As many have mentioned, the lyrics of the other popular songs are pretty lame/pointless, but Lady Gaga lyrics, while not the most thought-provoking by any means, still have some vagueness to them, and aren't as juvenile sounding as most pop.

Again, I can't explain it as well, and if people hate it, so be it. However, it is the most watched video on youtube kinda says something too, as in, it's drawing universal appeal. 236+million views is kinda a lot.

Finally, there si a pretty solid metal version of Bad Romance which made me finally justify myself liking the song. Apparently Lady Gaga even contacted them and applauded them for their cover:

I have the same respect for her as I do Kid Rock, and it has nothing to do with their music.. I dislike both's music, however I believe they both write and perform their own work, and on top of that I believe they are both classically trained in multiple instruments. Pretty impressive when compared to a bunch of the crapp pawned off as musicians these days. So what if she dresses like an emo freakshow.

I have to agree. I've seen her perform on tv live and she is talented.

Lady Gaga is one of the very few pop artists that I actually enjoy. As a songwriter, I think she is fantastic. It is rare to find a pop artist that is writing the vast majority of their music. Not only does she write her own music, but she gained popularity for writing music for others as well. In addition to being a good songwriter, she is a great performer. Considering she is dancing her entire show, her vocals do not suffer too much. She has a serious set of pipes and can legitimately sing.

I think a lot of stuff she does is crazy, but I think that is also part of her appeal. She is different from what the other pop artists are. She brings something new to the table. How many other pop artists will go into random bars and pick up everyone's tab? Probably not too many. I watched the interview with her on Larry King Live and really gained a lot of respect for her. She is pretty well spoken and intelligent, too.

I think a lot of people dislike her because she is pop music and most people don't get pop music or like it. For the most part I can't stand pop music at all. But Lady Gaga is one artist I will definitely be paying attention to.

I think a lot of people dislike her because she is pop music and most people don't get pop music or like it. For the most part I can't stand pop music at all. But Lady Gaga is one artist I will definitely be paying attention to.

I like Michael Jackson... :whoknows:

You really think she is ground breaking here? I find her to be trying to be what Madonna was. Shocking and Edgy. She may have a good voice, but her beats seem very ordinary and the changes are pretty standard pop movements. But that is my take on her. I don't begrudge anyone who likes her. To each their own.

Fair enough. I just disagree.

For the record, I never mentioned anything about anyone's man card being revoked for liking her. And that it isn't my fear of losing mine, that I don't like Lady Gaga. I like Pink and think she is a much better singer than Gaga is. GaGa seems to always have massive effects on her voice. It may be for the type of pop she plays. I just think Pink is more.... "raw". I like that.

That was aimed at the people who said that it was against someone's masculinity to like her. Which you did.

So do a ton of other people on message boards. Get over it. I will leave the teen girl magazines to others that may find them entertaining

Yes, and it originated with teenage girls who are the still the primary users of the phrase.

Some folks may find it also stupid to be the Grammar police on message boards. It makes you look like a douche. Just a hint.

You were trying to use "Grammar police" as either a pronoun or a proper noun, but you didn't pick which it would be. You'd either capitalize both words to make it a proper noun or leave them both lowercase to make it a pronoun. :)

I don't know, but to me, that looks to mean that someone that is defined by my "sandbox" can't listen to more than one type of music. Since that is MY sandbox, the implication would be that I don't. I don't think I was, OMG, reaching.

Man, you're QUOTING me and can't even quote me correctly? Come on. I did not say "sandbox"; I said "Sandman69", which is you.

being a former music elitist and an active metal head and huge Dream Theater fan as well as a fan of various classical/orchestral works, I definitely think there is something about Lady Gaga that sets her apart. I've played instruments before. I'm in no way qualified, but again, there is something that I can't quite explain off the top of my head.

I can listen to Katy Perry's one song, or Kesha's one song, or whoever else is big, and nothing stnads out. Same with Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Jessica Simpson, throw in the country ones like Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift. Shakira comes and goes as well, but I do give her credit as well.

But with pop music, the performance matters. All of them get by with performance. Christina Aquilera has a great voice too. Maybe most do and I just discredit them regardless. With Lady Gaga, you have someone who has a great voice and rarely tries to show it. Her performance/fashion/general style is what she portrays, and that is what is setting herself apart. As many have mentioned, the lyrics of the other popular songs are pretty lame/pointless, but Lady Gaga lyrics, while not the most thought-provoking by any means, still have some vagueness to them, and aren't as juvenile sounding as most pop.

Again, I can't explain it as well, and if people hate it, so be it. However, it is the most watched video on youtube kinda says something too, as in, it's drawing universal appeal. 236+million views is kinda a lot.

Finally, there si a pretty solid metal version of Bad Romance which made me finally justify myself liking the song. Apparently Lady Gaga even contacted them and applauded them for their cover:

Wow that cover is straight garbage. Is that lead singer putting us on with his vocals? Ridiculousness of the highest order.

In one of The Replacements compilations, there is a brief article written by someone who interviewed Paul Westerberg in his early years. She had asked him to name his biggest influences (the lamest question one can ask an artist by the way) and he says, "The Radio." I've always thought that was the best answer anyone has ever given to that question.

There was another great Mats story in the liner notes that I will share now because - **** it - why not? CDs had just been introduced and the band hated them. They heard that Twin/Tone was going to re-release their first albums in the format. The band hated this idea and plotted to break into the offices and steal the master tapes. They then wanted to put them in a basket and send them down the Mississippi River - like Moses. Their hope was that the tapes would pass Paisley Park, where Prince would find them, listen to them, and then decide to change his musical direction.

I wonder sometimes if I make more a year than Paul Westerberg.

I thought that cover was entertaining, wtf is up with that guys singing? no wonder he growls.

metal bands argh. that genre has turned into such a joke. anyways, I'm a musician, I think lady gaga is awesome.

Agreed on all points. Used to be a big metal fan myself (also a musician), but much of it is just plain stupid anymore - "singers" in particular. That cover was a perfect example of dumb.

And yeah, Gaga is just plain amazing. What I find humorous is the "it's just cookie-cutter pop/takes no talent to produce" argument from much of the musician crowd. IMHO, it takes FAR more talent to put together a catchy pop tune than it does to string together some of the "artistic visions" I hear from the naysayers.

Agreed on all points. Used to be a big metal fan myself (also a musician), but much of it is just plain stupid anymore - "singers" in particular. That cover was a perfect example of dumb.

Well, the cover wasn't necessarily dumb, if the band had an actual lead singer.

One of the related links was a nice cover of "Bad Romance" by 30 Seconds To Mars.

d4r7bPGvVj4

But, I think the sheer amount of covers that are out there of her songs kinda speaks to what other musicians think of her songs, that they are worthwhile to play with their own take.

But, I think the sheer amount of covers that are out there of her songs kinda speaks to what other musicians think of her songs, that they are worthwhile to play with their own take.

Agreed, same as my point about the number of views it has (though I looked and saw some Justin Bieber song also has a bunch of views so I'm not sure how valid that point is now).

As for the cover, what's up with the sudden hatred of metal?

That was aimed at the people who said that it was against someone's masculinity to like her. Which you did.

Nope I did not. Someone asked if there are men that listen to her. I said apparently NewCliche does. Which you admitted to. I was just answering a question. I apologize if you took it in the manner you are taking it as. Perhaps the gentleman asking the question was implying that, but that is another discussion... ;)

Yes, and it originated with teenage girls who are the still the primary users of the phrase.

As well as thousands of grownups too. Maybe it would be ok if I used OMFG instead.

Man, you're QUOTING me and can't even quote me correctly? Come on. I did not say "sandbox"; I said "Sandman69", which is you.

No, you didn't say sandbox, but you did say box. HUGE difference. And if it is a box defined by me, it IS a SANDBOX!

:saber:

Archived