Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Sticksboi05

I'm pumped for the World Cup...

But I think you just like to make new threads, which is cool, but like you said, this is a month away.

Yup, one month, but it'll go by and to make the thread worthwhile it'll have news leading up the the World Cup next month.

If it falls into the depths of ES until then, that's not a problem.

My teams are USA and Spain. After looking at the WC possible roster im a little gutted because we are missing two very important players for this team in davies and adu. However, Altidore will just have to step up even more. In a way its good he plays for america because if this were a soccer mad country then there would be way too much undue pressure on altidore.

The success of the US falls on his shoulders even more now. Yea donovan is alright and he will need to have a good WC too, but Altidore is gonna be the lone striker and so hes gonna have to be strong in his hold up play, his link up play, and his attack. Not to mention that any clear chances that do come his way have to be converted because i dont forsee us creating too many in any game.

My teams are USA and Spain. After looking at the WC possible roster im a little gutted because we are missing two very important players for this team in davies and adu. However, Altidore will just have to step up even more. In a way its good he plays for america because if this were a soccer mad country then there would be way too much undue pressure on altidore.

The success of the US falls on his shoulders even more now. Yea donovan is alright and he will need to have a good WC too, but Altidore is gonna be the lone striker and so hes gonna have to be strong in his hold up play, his link up play, and his attack. Not to mention that any clear chances that do come his way have to be converted because i dont forsee us creating too many in any game.

Dempsey anyone? He has been in great form over in Europe. Not to mention, he has been getting A LOT of time playig up top for fulham. Personally, I think we would be best suited to play altidore and Dempsey up top, and donovon out wide. It is obvious that we have much more talent in the midfield, and putting someone like Torres out wide and dempsey up top might serve a lot of good. Also, from what he has showed the USMNT, I would never consider Adu an "intregal" part of the US roster. He has never done anything for the national team in the past to even garner that type of recognition. Not to mention his fellow teammate in Greece Eddie Johnson has been outplaying all year basically. Adu still has a lot of growing as a player to do before he will be considered to the roster.

New Jersey native Guiseppe (sp?) Rossi (a young, premier striker) made Italy's 30 man roster, beating out Totti and Toni. And Utah native Subotic made Serbia's preliminary roster. Would have been a big help to have both of those guys rocking the red, white and blue this summer, but oh well.

Some more star snubs included former FIFA player of the year Ronalidinho from the Brazil roster, which also chose to leave Adriano off of their team. Van Nistelroy was also left off of the netherlands roster.

gadsden_flag.gif

(obviously)

But I'm also rooting for New Zealand (the All Whites) who are making their second ever WC appearance. Of course, getting there is somewhat easier now that Australia has moved to Asian Football Conference. NZ won the Oceanic Football Conference and their 2 game play-in against the 5th place AFC team (Bahrain) for a spot in the WC.

In the WC they're grouped with Italy (who NZ lost to 4-3 in a friendly last year), Paraguay, and Slovakia, so I don't expect them to make much noise come June. If it counts for anything, they got some experience in the Confederations Cup last year, where they were grouped with Spain (Torres had a hat trick in the opening 20 minutes, lol), South Africa (lost 2-0), and Iraq (earned a 0-0 draw, the bright spot of the tourney for the Kiwis). Unfortunately I haven't really seen them play so I dunno how well they match up with anyone, but for a country that doesn't even have its own professional soccer league, I'm pretty happy to see them make it to the big show.

nz-flag001.jpg

I'll also show some love for los catrachos, but don't know if I'll be able to stand being around boysetsfire if they do any better than the US (luckily, this is highly doubtful) ;):silly:

Dempsey anyone? He has been in great form over in Europe. Not to mention, he has been getting A LOT of time playig up top for fulham. Personally, I think we would be best suited to play altidore and Dempsey up top, and donovon out wide. It is obvious that we have much more talent in the midfield, and putting someone like Torres out wide and dempsey up top might serve a lot of good. Also, from what he has showed the USMNT, I would never consider Adu an "intregal" part of the US roster. He has never done anything for the national team in the past to even garner that type of recognition. Not to mention his fellow teammate in Greece Eddie Johnson has been outplaying all year basically. Adu still has a lot of growing as a player to do before he will be considered to the roster.

New Jersey native Guiseppe (sp?) Rossi (a young, premier striker) made Italy's 30 man roster, beating out Totti and Toni. And Utah native Subotic made Serbia's preliminary roster. Would have been a big help to have both of those guys rocking the red, white and blue this summer, but oh well.

Some more star snubs included former FIFA player of the year Ronalidinho from the Brazil roster, which also chose to leave Adriano off of their team. Van Nistelroy was also left off of the netherlands roster.

Yea, I forgot about dempsey's play this year but he has never really impressed me when playing with the usnt. We should have a 5 man midfield against most teams. Just have altidore up top and dempsey and donovan on the wings.

Whenever adu has been given a chance he has always showed flashes up brilliance, yet he never gets chances. The kid has a ton of skill which we sorely lack. Dempsey is decently talented, donovan is primarily a kick-and-chase player who relies heavily on his quickness rather than any sort of dribbling skill. Adu was one of very few creative outlets this team had and he could have really worked well sitting behind altidore as an attacking mid.

Eddie Johnson has nothing to his game except pace. Hes not that good is on the same level of a ching or twellman. Altidore is the only striker in this team that has a legitimate shot of being a top class player in world football.

This WC is a HUGE opportunity for Altidore to show case his skills and land a premier role in one of the major leagues in Europe. Honestly, he is the perfect striker for the English premier division. He is quick, powerful, clinical, and is just tricky enough to deal with most defenders. In spain the pace of the game is too slow and it is very stop-start with all the fouling. Italy is just the slowest league in Europe, just awful to watch.

I really hope a team like everton or even a fulham can get him because I think in a better team than hull city he will do quite well for himself.

Wasn't Altidore at Hull for a good part of this past year? He didn't do much in the EPL, but then again, he wasn't on a quality side. At forward you're pretty much at the mercy of your midfielders--very few can create like Messi.

Wasn't Altidore at Hull for a good part of this past year? He didn't do much in the EPL, but then again, he wasn't on a quality side. At forward you're pretty much at the mercy of your midfielders--very few can create like Messi.

Altidore, when he got chances to play, was pretty successful in the premier league. He drew at least three penalty kicks for his team this year, which is something that obviously doesn't show up in the stat books. While he didn't score at all, he did a great job of setting his teammates up. Considering he was on a pretty god awful team, and was the second lowest scoring team in the premier league, I think he held his own.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-wKAooU20&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-wKAooU20&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

They think it's all over! It is now.

Rooting for the USA. I'll probably troll the local "Euro Bar" in Greenville with my Betsy Ross flag. :D

I'm all about red white and blue this world cup!

For my earthquake ravaged people in Chile:

Alexis Sanchez is a fantastic talent Destino. Was hoping he would sign for United.

Support the US of course but I have always loved Les Blues.

Well Altidore hd to play under a terrible manager in Phil Brown for most of his loan spell but he really emerged towards the end of this season as a player who has quite a lot of upside provided he gets an opportunity for regular first team football in a decent team.

In the last few months, whenever I have seen him play he has done quite well. I remember watching him against a very good defensive fulham side and he tore them a new ******* whenever he touched the ball. I have never been so proud to watch a fellow american play soccer. It was clear as day that this kid has all the raw talent to be something special.

He didn't score a goal that day but he won the penalty for the opening goal. It was a nothing ball into the box and he shielded off the defender brilliantly, like he did against puyol or albiol for his goal against spain in the confed cup, and then was hauled down before he could reach the ball.

Then, for the entire time he was on the pitch, he proceeded to torment the fulham defense with his pace and power. Whenever he got the ball he either held it up brilliantly, laying off smart passes to off the ball runners to spearhead attacks, or he took on the defenders himself, often beating them with pace and power and a few skillful dribbling moves. When he was subbed off in the 65th minute or so he recieved a standing ovation. Hell, i was standing and clapping too from by basement.

But, yea he has been playing pretty well when given the opportunity, however, he plays up top by himself quite a bit and Hull rarely control games so he rarely has support. I hope a side like everton or fulham take a chance with him. I really don't think they will be disappointed.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/785926/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Donovan: Rooney is ''worn out''Email Print Share By Soccernet staff

United States midfielder Landon Donovan believes a long season is catching up with a ''worn out'' Wayne Rooney ahead of the World Cup finals in South Africa.

Landon Donovan was a hit at Everton when he played there on loan.

Donovan, who will lead the United States against England in their World Cup opener in Rustenburg on June 12, thinks that Rooney is tired after playing 49 games for club and country and cites that as a reason why he has been troubled by an ankle and groin injuries in recent weeks.

''Rooney is a top player. In my opinion, he is one of the best players in the world right now,'' Donovan told Yahoo!. ''But the other part of it is that he has played a lot of games and he is tired. He is probably worn out.

Donovan saw the pressure on Rooney and his England team-mates first hand last season when he spent a part of the campaign on loan with Everton and says he believes all the pressure will be on the USA's Group C rivals in South Africa.

''Of course, there is more pressure on the English players,'' he added. ''If we don't do well in the World Cup, people care for a little bit. But if England doesn't do well in the World Cup, it is absolutely devastating to their country, their families, to their people.

''That is something they [England] live with. I don't know if they look at it that way, but that is how I look at it.''

click link for the entire article...

hmm I know Donovan didnt mean anything by it but still.. he should just avoid commenting on the England team in general...

Bad news for Germany-

Ballack done.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5194285/ce/us/germany-michael-ballack-torn-ankle-ligaments?cc=5901&ver=us

FRANKFURT -- Germany captain Michael Ballack will miss the World Cup because of a right ankle injury, dealing the three-time champions a serious blow less than a month before the tournament.

The German soccer federation said Monday that the 33-year-old Chelsea midfielder had torn ligaments in his right ankle from a tackle during his club's 1-0 FA Cup final victory over Portsmouth on Saturday.

Ballack's ankle has been put in a cast and the federation said he won't be able to train for at least eight weeks.

Chelsea's Michael Ballack, the German national team's captain, is tackled Saturday by Portsmouth's Kevin-Prince Boateng in the FA Cup final. Tests showed Ballack tore ankle ligaments on the play.

"It's very disappointing, but I have to accept it," Ballack told German television, standing with crutches. "It's football and you have to live with it. ... I am angry, clearly."

Archived