Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Sticksboi05

hmm anyone else thing we need to come up with a better nickname for USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_association_football_teams_by_nickname

man US Soccer team needs a new nickname… it’s the worst among all the countries

Stars and Stripes, The Yanks, "The Red, White, and Blue"

I mean just look at the nicknames in our group

Algeria – The Desert Foxes, The Greens, The Desert Warriors

England - The Three Lions

Slovakia - The Fighting Jondas

Hmm even something generic like "The Patriots" would be better than what they got now...

Maybe, but better yet we need better stadium songs. It'd be great if US fans actually sang the anthem like, basically, every other country.

How 'bout something like Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" or "America the Beautiful"... something a little cheesy, maybe even just the chorus. Something like "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Altidore can be lazy. He is a great talent, but he doesn't always take his conditioning seriously and sometimes he is mentally lazy. I would love to see him take a little more pride in his craft because he can be truly spectacular.

Maybe, but better yet we need better stadium songs. It'd be great if US fans actually sang the anthem like, basically, every other country.

How 'bout something like Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" or "America the Beautiful"... something a little cheesy, maybe even just the chorus. Something like "You'll Never Walk Alone".

yeah it has be some short cheesy chorus line... in alot of other countries, the popular bands and singers get together every 4 years and put out some kind of album for the World Cup.. if any of them turn out good, the crowd turns it into a stadium song.. with amount musical talents we got in the country, too bad this hasnt happened already.

I like "Yanks" as a nickname. Or maybe "our 4th tier athletes competing with the best your country has"

hahaha i like your second suggestion... although it will be a mouthful for people calling the game to yell all that out after a goal that sends us to next round... hahaha

"YES GOOOOALLL!!!!!! THE "our 4th tier athletes competing with the best your country has" HAS MOVED ON TO THE KNOCKOUT ROUND!!!!"""

hahaha i like your second suggestion... although it will be a mouthful for people calling the game to yell all that out after a goal that sends us to next round... hahaha

"YES GOOOOALLL!!!!!! THE "our 4th tier athletes competing with the best your country has" HAS MOVED ON TO THE KNOCKOUT ROUND!!!!"""

:ols: it would take a bit of practice for sure

hmm anyone else thing we need to come up with a better nickname for USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_association_football_teams_by_nickname

man US Soccer team needs a new nickname… it’s the worst among all the countries

Stars and Stripes, The Yanks, "The Red, White, and Blue"

I mean just look at the nicknames in our group

Algeria – The Desert Foxes, The Greens, The Desert Warriors

England - The Three Lions

Slovakia - The Fighting Jondas

Hmm even something generic like "The Patriots" would be better than what they got now...

The Three Lions? I have NEVER heard England refered to in that way. The wear a three lion crest as their national team badge but they dont have a nickname. Classic Wiki made up 'fact'! of course, up here England have many names....;)

I really think you guys have a serious chance - the opening game can find even the favourites a little flat, trying to get going with all the pressure that is on etc. Score first and who knows!

I really think you guys have a serious chance - the opening game can find even the favourites a little flat, trying to get going with all the pressure that is on etc. Score first and who knows!

I'm surprised to hear you say that, actually. And can't help but wonder if it's a reverse jinx sort of thing :)

God bless America is beginning to become more prevelant at US soccer games.

Also, for whoever is interested, I came across these US soccer documentaries about last years qualifying. The videos have great shots of US fans experiences in Azteca, and much more. I loved all of them so far, and for anyone who likes US soccer, its worthwhile watching.

There are more on the way, number 4 is supposed to be released sometime soon.

The Three Lions? I have NEVER heard England refered to in that way. The wear a three lion crest as their national team badge but they dont have a nickname. Classic Wiki made up 'fact'! of course, up here England have many names....;)

really? Not often but I have heard England being referred in that fashion before...

I'm surprised to hear you say that, actually. And can't help but wonder if it's a reverse jinx sort of thing :)

well keep in mind that we get the usual England propaganda every tournament of how they are going to win the whole thing. Remember, you are playing a team that whilst it likes to think it is one of the international giants of football has only ever won the World Cup once, the best part of 50 years back and reached one other semi-final 20 years back! get after them! :)

really? Not often but I have heard England being referred in that fashion before...

Me neither - England isn't the Three Lions. The term became popular with this song in '96.

Great song which captures the pessimism and optimism of fans.

3lkeTjwvINI

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2010-05-18-3072847091_x.htm

Coe: England may still win right to host 2018 WCup

LONDON (AP) — London 2012 Olympics chief Sebastian Coe thinks England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup will not be permanently damaged by the forced resignation of bid chairman David Triesman.

Triesman quit after a British newspaper printed details of a recorded conversation in which he suggested Russia could help Spain bribe World Cup referees in return for support for its own bid.

The controversy appeared to hugely diminish England's chances of winning enough votes to host the tournament but Coe, who led the British team that won the right to host the 2012 Olympic Games, said the 2018 bid could still succeed.

"It is a strong bid. It will survive," said Coe, who is on the board of the 2018 bid team. "This has been a traumatic thing to have happened but the foundation stones of a good bid are in place. This is not having to change plans, ripping up a bid book.

"This is about continuing to present the bid and let the majority of the members know the quality of the bid and our thinking. Not very much has altered."

FIFA is investigating Triesman's allegations.

Former England striker Gary Lineker has reportedly quit as a columnist for the Mail on Sunday over the newspaper's decision to print the allegations about Triesman.

Am I the only one that is hoping that this has little more leg so that it will help USA land the 2018 WC?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=789191&sec=england&cc=5901

Ferguson fears for World Cup stars

By Soccernet staff

May 21, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that many of the club's World Cup stars will miss the start of next season as he gives them some much needed rest.

PA Photos

Alex Ferguson can't look as the title heads to Chelsea

• Fergie: Berbatov will not be sold

• Hernandez ''living a dream''

United could have up to eight key players returning from South Africa this summer, including star striker Wayne Rooney and three of Ferguson's first-choice defence in Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic.

"The World Cup will be draining for all the players involved," Ferguson said. "It is the biggest tournament of their lives and we will be giving all of the players who are involved a 28-day rest after the last game. We will begin the season without them. That is the plan."

The World Cup final takes place on July 11 and the Community Shield, the traditional curtain-raiser to the English season, takes place on August 8.

just heads up for people who might attend the MLS All-star game this year in Houston. MLS All-stars will go against Manchester Uniter but it looks like they will be without their biggest stars...

Not exactly news, but I thought someone would enjoy it. Sick Nike WC2010 commercial.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Rooney/Ribery bit is great and Ronaldo's cameo is hilarious. :ols:

Archived