Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

Section 7h reads, "the union of the flag should be placed at the peak of the staff." Section 8d reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel." Section 8b reads, "The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground."

I'm not even all that patriotic and even I know you're not supposed to wear the flag no matter the time or place. Little unpatriotic ****s.

I'm not even all that patriotic and even I know you're not supposed to wear the flag no matter the time or place. Little unpatriotic ****s.

I brought that up in my first post, but I'm not sure what it means, specifically. I think it MAY mean that you aren't supposed to like cut up a flag and make clothing out of it rather than putting a flag on a piece of clothing. Not sure of the specifics.

*facepalm*

Seriously? That is honestly what you felt the need to add to this discussion? Wow.

Seabee thinks the Earth is six thousand years old. Based on such a timeline he and his family probably haven't discovered fire yet, so that he can post on the Internet is a miracle.

I brought that up in my first post, but I'm not sure what it means, specifically. I think it MAY mean that you aren't supposed to like cut up a flag and make clothing out of it rather than putting a flag on a piece of clothing. Not sure of the specifics.

It goes back to the period in which the articles were drafted. Essentially, we adopted the same "Flag Etiquette" of the British, which would make sense. Long story short, those articles were put into place so people didn't steal the flags and use them to make clothes, which did happen. In those days, Fabrics for making clothes were not in great supply. Flags would get stolen and used to make other things. This is why these rules were created.

They were never written with the intention of screen print flags on TShirts or what have you.

My biggest problem with this, is the kids were not doing this to provoke anything. Two of them are half Hispanic. This is what is supposed to be great about America, rights. A student mentions that hispanics would not wear a mexican flag attire on the 4th of July? Why not? Its their right? The 4th of July is about freedom and in America we have freedom to wear what we want. So why is it not okay for American flag attire to be worn? What about the police, firefighters who wear American flag patches on their uniforms? Did they have to take them off today?

I don't really want to get into what speech is protected and not. I just think it is sad that so many people in America have forgotten what freedom is and we are so concerned with offending each other. When did the rights of Americans become offensive in America?

The school was concerned about offending other students and fights starting. People offend me all the time everyday while excercising their rights...it happens to all of us it is part of living in America. If Americans keep going down this road the eventual conclusion will be no more gun rights, they offend some people. No more free press, because organizations like Fox News and CNN offend people. It just a slippery slope.

Note: as others have posted, the American flag should never be worn itself as attire, I agree with this.

It goes back to the period in which the articles were drafted. Essentially, we adopted the same "Flag Etiquette" of the British, which would make sense. Long story short, those articles were put into place so people didn't steal the flags and use them to make clothes, which did happen. In those days, Fabrics for making clothes were not in great supply. Flags would get stolen and used to make other things. This is why these rules were created.

They were never written with the intention of screen print flags on TShirts or what have you.

And the 2nd Amendment wasn't written with intention of people owning semi-automatic weapons for 'protection'. What's your point?

And the 2nd Amendment wasn't written with intention of people owning semi-automatic weapons for 'protection'. What's your point?

There doesn't have to be a point. Sometimes, you just post things in an attempt to provide clarity or general information.

However, I'll take a step back and listen to the point you clearly want to get across.

You have the floor.

And the 2nd Amendment wasn't written with intention of people owning semi-automatic weapons for 'protection'.

I don't think you have a very good understanding of the Founding Fathers' intentions...

What did our Founding Fathers have to say about firearms?

Thomas Jefferson

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." (Thomas Jefferson, Proposal to Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J. Boyd, Ed., 1950] )

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants." (Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939)

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787, in Papers of Jefferson, ed. Boyd et al.)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764)

Benjamin Franklin

"The thoughtful reader may wonder, why wasn't Jefferson's proposal of ‘No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms’ adopted by the Virginia legislature? They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.)

Samuel Adams

"The Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." (Samuel Adams, 1780)

John Adams

"To suppose arms in the hands of citizens, to be used at individual discretion, except in private self-defense, or by partial orders of towns, countries or districts of a state, is to demolish every constitution, and lay the laws prostrate, so that liberty can be enjoyed by no man; it is a dissolution of the government. The fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws." (John Adams, A Defence of the Constitutions of the United States, 475 [1787-1788])

"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." (John Adams, Boston Gazette, Sept. 5, 1763, reprinted in The Works of John Adams 438 [Charles F. Adams ed., 1851])

"Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self-defense." (John Adams, A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America [1787-1788])

Patrick Henry

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)

What did another important leader say about firearms?

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

Adolph Hitler

Chancellor, Germany, 1933

I think the real issue here is why did the vice principal think the American Flag would cause trouble in the school. Which begs the question; Whats wrong with the school? Do the mexican kids that attend this school hate America so much they would harm others for merely wearing a flag of their , hopefully, birth country? I would say this is strike one for abolishing 'anchor' babies.

Cinco de Drunk O should have never been recognized, since its not a nationalized holiday, by the school to begin with.

Out of curiosity

How would you guys feel if on the 4th of July you heard that a group of american students in Germany planned to have a fireworks celebration

A wealthy man who owns a neighboring lot decides he wants to buy out enough fireworks to completely outdo the display the americans have planned and during the american firework celebration all you see if Red black and yellow fireworks and hear traditional german music

now suppose a fight ensues when the American's confront him about interrupting their party. He claims he has a right as a German in Germany to do this...

If they are there legally, why would he care?

Maybe the kids that attend this school are illegals?

how do blatant racist comments like this not get scrutinized

like seriously? seriously? we all talk like that?

They do. :)

And I talk like that, often, in that I mix such common words in with English, with affection. :)

It was a stupid comment to me. But, admittedly, I find a great many of the comments made in these matters "stupid."

But I've been meaning to ask you, Seabee, did your political board die out or something? I just have noticed you have been waging the campaign here again more often lately. :)

I figured that may be the case. But also in the flag etiquette is not using the American flag in advertising. What do we see in every President's Day Sale car commercial?

I figured that may be the case. But also in the flag etiquette is not using the American flag in advertising. What do we see in every President's Day Sale car commercial?

It also shouldn't be out in the rain, unilluminated at night, or touch the ground. For as protective as we (Americans) act about our flag, we sure treat it like an ordinary piece of fabric. To me, it's one of the most glaring examples of hypocritical American bravado.

Wow, almost 250 posts about a trivial little incident involving some school kids? Seriously, who the **** cares?

:ols:

Nothing like kids from other countries getting upset about a citizen wearing an American flag, I agree, it's no big deal, especially since the kids that got sent home were wearing the American flag.

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

are you saying it was just a coincidence that they all decided to wear american flag bandanas and shirts that day? because otherwise it sure sounds like intentional provocation to me.

or maybe you're saying it's okay for students to provoke each other, as long as it's white students provoking hispanics, and not the other way around.

Last I checked this is America. They should be able to wear the flag of our country whenever they see fit. You and others like you are one of the reasons that our country is as ****ed up as it is today.

Archived