Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

sounds like the kids here decided to be intentionally provocative by wearing american flag bandanas and shirts in order to intentionally taunt/provoke/intimidate hispanics on cinco de mayo. the administrator's job is to maintain order, so his actions are understandable here. sounds like the kids were looking for a fight.

sounds like the kids here decided to be intentionally provocative by wearing american flag bandanas and shirts in order to intentionally taunt/provoke/intimidate hispanics on cinco de mayo. the administrator's job is to maintain order, so his actions are understandable here. sounds like the kids were looking for a fight.

I could understand if the kids were pushing hispanic kids around but they weren't.

Too soon, too soon.

You have to let the outrage boil up longer first. We don't have nearly enough knee-jerk reactions yet.

I can see where you're coming from, a couple of them were also wearing Tapout shirts, which is the most popular Mixed Martial Arts clothing line. That said, unless they actually put their fists up or directly taunted other kids, there is nothing but the freedom of expression going on here.

deyrreturrrkrrrFLAgGs

One of the kids fathers is Mexican. :ols:

I could understand if the kids were pushing hispanic kids around but they weren't.

Of course not. There were only five of them.

They were just trying to be smartasses, and the Principal was trying to avoid a problem that might get worse, and they refused to cooperate with him, and now they get to be on Fox News for a week or so and Real America will be outraged. Hooray.

They won. They got what they wanted. You should be happy about this.

I can see where you're coming from, a couple of them were also wearing Tapout shirts, which is the most popular Mixed Martial Arts clothing line. That said, unless they actually put their fists up or directly taunted other kids, there is nothing but the freedom of expression going on here.

freedom of expression doesn't exist for a student in a public school.

Lame.

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

Someone should tell them that this isn't a national Mexican holiday.

response is a perfect representation on what is wrong with the United States these days.

This never would have happened 50 years ago.

I understand what you are saying....and you may even be correct about their motives (you probably are correct)

but this not only infringes on their freedom of speech rights, it is also desecrating to our country and anyone who has national pride.

Cinco De Mayo doesn't bother me...I think it is pretty cool (gives me a great excuse to go out and eat my favorite kind of food) but it is not a national holiday and this is still America.

I have no problem with Mexicans or Mexican Americans, but this is still the United States....if anyone has a problem with Americans showing their pride every day of the week, they should promptly leave the country.

Oh please! That is a load of crap

it sounds like the 5 students were purposely TRYING to be d-bags and were TRYING to stir up controversy. They should've been allowed to do so.

On teh other hand... the "clutch my pearls" reactions of people to this obvious stunt is both predictable and pathetic.

Freedom of expression doesnt always apply to juveniles in schools. We've been through this before.

The fact that this was an American flag is going to keep everyone all pissed off, and heck, maybe the principal overreacted, but this is not that unusual a situation.

Oh please! That is a load of crap

are you saying it was just a coincidence that they all decided to wear american flag bandanas and shirts that day? because otherwise it sure sounds like intentional provocation to me.

or maybe you're saying it's okay for students to provoke each other, as long as it's white students provoking hispanics, and not the other way around.

freedom of expression doesn't exist for a student in a public school.

Wearing an American flag, especially when two of them are part Mexican, is a positive form of expression if anything.

The Principal should be fired.

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

I am sorry but I could care LESS if they were OFFENDED by someone showing their American pride and supporting the Red White And Blue. I mean for all they knew maybe they had families fighting over seas or maybe they were celebrating say someone they knew in the armed forces that died? I know it's a stretch but you never know!

This is what's wrong with the country everyone wants to be Politically Correct every second of the day - nope sorry - when it comes to our damn flag if you have a problem with it kiss my damn ass

if the administration had said exactly what greenspandan said i don't think it would have been a big deal, but the language they used (you can wear it any other day) was very likely to stir up controversy and it did. Dumb on their part...

I also laugh at the "what has america come to" and "this would never happen 50 years ago"

your right let's go back 50 years and do everything in the name of America. Bring back mccarthyism and jailing african american protesters for resisting the status quo

are you saying it was just a coincidence that they all decided to wear american flag bandanas and shirts that day? because otherwise it sure sounds like intentional provocation to me.

or maybe you're saying it's okay for students to provoke each other, as long as it's white students provoking hispanics, and not the other way around.

I guess it's cool that American kids can't rock the American flag on 5/5. Why don't you enlighten us on the other days and times of the year it's not proper to wear such provocative clothing?

Wearing an American flag, especially when two of them are part Mexican, is a positive form of expression if anything.

The Principal should be fired.

Oh, ok. Should be fired now.

What law or rule did he break? The "not demonstrating enough patriotism to satisfy GoSkins651" rule?

Archived