Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

Plan to raise flag today

Some Reagan students said they will try to raise a Mexican flag again today. They said they want it to fly at least above the Texas flag on the pole.

"Just because you're in the country doesn't mean you can't show your culture," said Lewis Ramirez, 16, a sophomore at Reagan High.

Idiot.

Carina Muriel, a junior at Channelview High School, said she doesn't think it's appropriate for her rallying classmates to carry Mexican flags.

"If they really want to show devotion, they should be carrying U.S. flags," she said.

Very,very smart girl. She is wiser than she knows.

More blood in the water:silly:...perhaps it's time to focus on education and lose the distractions?

http://www.ktrh.com/pages/michaelberry.html

Yesterday, a listener’s son was offended that his school, Klein Collins High School, displayed the Mexican flag prominently. His mother called to complain, and the school wouldn’t return her call. The student took the sign down.

700_1273244374.jpg

The school pitched a fit, reviewed the surveillance tapes, found the student, and suspended him for 3 days. AND he has to pay for the flag. In light of the SF story of students sent home for wearing the AMERICAN flag because it offended the Hispanic students, I thought you’d like to know about a story closer to home.

God damn - EVERYONE is acting like spoiled children now.

Not just the children.

:ols:

Where do you think the kids get it from?

"This business will get out of hand. It will get out of hand and we'll be lucky to live through it." -- Rear Admiral Joshua Painter in 'The Hunt for Red October'

(Per these quotes and the last article-quote ASF posted)

As I stated early on regarding the original incident/topic, based on the reports to date, the principal should be canned for his judgment. It was stupid and offensive beyond the point of acceptability for someone in his position. And it (again, based on information to date as in the article above) seems to endorse discrimination and favoritism.

The proud Latinos should be absolutely secure in their celebration and in this context positive cultural pride does not need to be, and should not be IMO, tied to any degradation, criticism, or lessening of other-pride for our nation.

People who when seeing other countries of origin being celebrated feel a need to "counter" with flying home colors should be perfectly free to do so even if one finds that motive questionable.

If they add other inciting behavior to the mix, then they can be judged on that other behavior.

If they are just flying the national colors (by that I mean "wearing the flag shirts/bandannas in this case) as a random event or as a matter of regular style, then as long as there's no dress code violation there also should be no problem, of course.

Barring other behaviors that incite and endanger students or the public, this never needed to be the problem it's become for the school, the community, or for some posters in this thread. But much of the "problem" has been chosen (created), sought, and "taken hostage" by all those players.

And like so many other issues (see Phelps thread), many folks are too heavy on attitude (emotional reactivity), bias (reflex), ignorance (like John Lydon's "the science is in on homosexuality" post in Phelps thread--just one popular recurring example), and posturing (ego/identity drivers) and too light on self-regulation, accurate information, social/communication skills, and critical thinking and so we get the constant "stupid exacerbating stupid" dynamic instead of a problem avoidance/management/resolution atmosphere.

Many adults still spend much of their time in the child/adolescent behavioral/cognitive stage (and that's good in certain contexts :pfft:) and would rather act out (tantrum) than "do the work" (follow the rules, know and meet your responsibilities, keep to appropriate roles/boundaries). Productively resolving complex social matters involving both group and individual dynamics often takes real work. It's way easier and more self-entertaining to just act out in various manners.

Are you the 22 year old still trying to master the intricacies of the sig rule? :pfft:

Haha, bad timing on my post. I just now read the article and that was my knee-jerk reaction. I hadn't read yours so it wasn't tied at all to that.

I have no problem with Latino heritage, but sending kids home for wearing the flag of the country we live in is out of control.

At this point, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Vice-Principal overreacted and totally ****ed up this situation.

With great power comes great responsibility...or sumthin like dat.:)

Perhaps Jumbo could give him lessons in the use of mockery and judicious warnings to pour oil on the waters?:ols:

Perhaps if he had simply asked if they couldn't find something else to wear that day ,along with a warning no confrontations would be tolerated,we could all be pissing and moaning about something else.:silly:

Haha, bad timing on my post. I just now read the article and that was my knee-jerk reaction. I hadn't read yours so it wasn't tied at all to that.

I have no problem with Latino heritage, but sending kids home for wearing the flag of the country we live in is out of control.

Absolutely.

Of course, we differ elsewhere because I have immense problems with Latino heritage. :mad:

Oh wait...I meant Irish. Never mind.

who cares...first off, its not a Mexican national holiday. From what I understand only 1 town in mexico actually ever celebrated it. Cinqo de mayo is an american excuse to get drunk...and if you need an excuse then you got bigger problems.

Secondly, alot of Italians I know wear orange on St. Pattys Day...how is this any different? Italians wear Orange to protest the holiday...I don't hear anyone in an uproar over that.

(Per these quotes and the last article-quote ASF posted)

As I stated early on regarding the original incident/topic, based on the reports to date, the principal should be canned for his judgment. It was stupid and offensive beyond the point of acceptability for someone in his position. And it (again, based on information to date as in the article above) seems to endorse discrimination and favoritism.

Barring other behaviors that incite and endanger students or the public, this never needed to be the problem it's become for the school, the community, or for some posters in this thread. But much of the "problem" has been chosen (created), sought, and "taken hostage" by all those players.

QUOTE]

Canned??? Well there is the rub you can't fire teachers (to include the Principals and Vice Principals) in most States.

I don't have the time to read all 27 pages here but that is insane. Breakdancers in the 80's wore the naval ensign of the rising sun from the Japanese empire as a bandana or a headband. Punkers wore the Union Jack cut off sweartshirt over their shirts. No one saw that as an insult to the U.S.

Breakin.jpg

From the movie Breakin.

f0_1(1).JPG

I love the Mexican People but the rule about the T-Shirts makes no sense at all. I don't see how wearing a shirt with an American Flag is disrespectful. Will the rules be the same on September 16, which is Mexican Independence day?

Canned??? Well there is the rub you can't fire teachers (to include the Principals and Vice Principals) in most States.

I hear that--my bad for endorsing a consequence that isn't likely. Unions can be very frustrating to me. I'm not a union hater at all, I see a lot of good they did in the past and the value they can still provide, but as with so many other things, so much stuff has just become cluster-****ed in any number of ways. I deal with a union these days in my profession, and am often "caught in the middle", and in my first career I never had either the advantages or disadvantages so sometimes I get into trouble with everyone. Hard to believe, I know. :)

I hear that--my bad for endorsing a consequence that isn't likely. Unions can be very frustrating to me. I'm not a union hater at all, I see a lot of good they did in the past and the value they can still provide, but as with so many other things, so much stuff has just become cluster-****ed in any number of ways. I deal with a union these days in my profession, and am often "caught in the middle", and in my first career I never had either the advantages or disadvantages so sometimes I get into trouble with everyone. Hard to believe, I know. :)

Which is what the real problem is in reforming education (not how much or little Teachers are paid).

Archived