Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

Well actually I don't have any kind of trouble or racist feeling against the people of U.S or U.S. I love and respect a BUNCH of people from U.S.

I'm from Mexico, and I don't like the symbols of anywhere, and let me said I respect your ideas and feelings about your flag.

If the kids were half mexican half american well ... that was crazy LOL.

I can see they want to taunt the other kids in that day, everyone in your turf can wear his colours showing some pride.

But I don't think its a good idea the clothes with bars and stars, down here is the same, no a good idea clothes with the eagle and the "tricolor"

Down here is banned, to avoid that kind of problems, some day Ninel Conde wear the flag on a dress, she get fined from the goverment, Paulina Rubio do the same, same result.

A lot of you will said to me: this US I can wear my flag on a shirt, on jeans, on hat, etc etc.

Its true, but even when Im not american and even I dont like symbols because we are equal to everyone (the only thing change us is the place we born and get raised) is disgusting to me to see your flag in some girls with bikinis in rap videos or stuff like that. Cmon people I know and everyone in the world knows you love your flag don't allow that.

The flag, the constitutional rights deserve more respect.

And let me make this clear, I don't hate your flag, it seems pretty elegant and cool.

By the way 5 de mayo is an official holiday down here, a lot industries make this optional a lot don't.

Funny fact: The most mexican soccer team (like they call to themselves) has red, blue and white, with bars LOL.

Sorry my bad english :D

Everyone stay cool.

I don't have the time to read all 27 pages here but that is insane. Breakdancers in the 80's wore the naval ensign of the rising sun from the Japanese empire as a bandana or a headband. Punkers wore the Union Jack cut off sweartshirt over their shirts. No one saw that as an insult to the U.S.

From the movie Breakin.

I love the Mexican People but the rule about the T-Shirts makes no sense at all. I don't see how wearing a shirt with an American Flag is disrespectful. Will the rules be the same on September 16, which is Mexican Independence day?

Well actually I don't have any kind of trouble or racist feeling against the people of U.S or U.S. I love and respect a BUNCH of people from U.S.

I'm from Mexico, and I don't like the symbols of anywhere, and let me said I respect your ideas and feelings about your flag.

If the kids were half mexican half american well ... that was crazy LOL.

I can see they want to taunt the other kids in that day, everyone in your turf can wear his colours showing some pride.

But I don't think its a good idea the clothes with bars and stars, down here is the same, no a good idea clothes with the eagle and the "tricolor"

Down here is banned, to avoid that kind of problems, some day Ninel Conde wear the flag on a dress, she get fined from the goverment, Paulina Rubio do the same, same result.

A lot of you will said to me: this US I can wear my flag on a shirt, on jeans, on hat, etc etc.

Its true, but even when Im not american and even I dont like symbols because we are equal to everyone (the only thing change us is the place we born and get raised) is disgusting to me to see your flag in some girls with bikinis in rap videos or stuff like that. Cmon people I know and everyone in the world knows you love your flag don't allow that.

The flag, the constitutional rights deserve more respect.

And let me make this clear, I don't hate your flag, it seems pretty elegant and cool.

By the way 5 de mayo is an official holiday down here, a lot industries make this optional a lot don't.

Funny fact: The most mexican soccer team (like they call to themselves) has red, blue and white, with bars LOL.

Sorry my bad english :D

Everyone stay cool.

Thanks for responding. I think the thing is they were blowing this out of proportion. Unless there was a clear and convincing evidence of taunting, I don't think there was any disrespect.

Here is the latest update on this issue:

Some parents of students at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill are keeping their kids home from school after tension related to an incident involving students wearing American flag clothing on Cinco de Mayo spilled out onto the streets.

The students wore T-shirts depicting the flag to school on Wednesday. Administrators told the boys the clothes could be "incendiary" and asked them turn the shirts inside-out or face suspension. The boys refused so they were sent home.

The controversy quickly spread over the Internet and became national news.

Now, the school district is sending a message to parents about the heated issue, assuring them that students will not be suspended, and that students are allowed to wear patriotic clothing.

The message was delivered from Superintendent Wesley Smith through both a letter and a voicemail. Here is the full text:

Good evening. This is
, Superintendent of the Morgan Hill Unified School District. The Morgan Hill Unified School District does not prohibit nor do we discourage wearing patriotic clothing. The incident on May 5 at Live Oak High School is extremely unfortunate. While campus safety is our primary concern and administrators made decisions yesterday in an attempt to ensure campus safety, students should not, and will not, be disciplined for wearing patriotic clothing. This situation and our response are under review.

We know that this is an emotionally charged topic. We would ask you to encourage your students to be safe and focus on their academics while in school. If conversations and/or activities are necessary to express their feelings on this issue, we will find appropriate venues that do not disturb student learning or jeopardize the safety of our students. Furthermore, we encourage everyone to demonstrate respect for each other, open communication, and responsibility.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Dr. Wesley Smith

Superintendent

BTW I like Ninel Conde,Lucero and Shaila Durcal. They are very attractive young ladies and are good actresses and singers. I decided to follow their careers 2 years ago.

I don't have the time to read all 27 pages here but that is insane. Breakdancers in the 80's wore the naval ensign of the rising sun from the Japanese empire as a bandana or a headband. Punkers wore the Union Jack cut off sweartshirt over their shirts. No one saw that as an insult to the U.S.

From the movie Breakin.

I love the Mexican People but the rule about the T-Shirts makes no sense at all. I don't see how wearing a shirt with an American Flag is disrespectful. Will the rules be the same on September 16, which is Mexican Independence day?

I worked with one who thought May 5th was his independence day and he deserved a day off for it I asked him when the real Mexican Independance day was and he insisted it was may 5th

I worked with one who thought May 5th was his independence day and he deserved a day off for it I asked him when the real Mexican Independance day was and he insisted it was may 5th

Was this guy really Mexican or Mexican American? If he was a Mexican from Puebla, he would know better.

Was this guy really Mexican or Mexican American? If he was a Mexican from Puebla, he would know better.

His parents were from Mexico he just wanted the day off to drink I told him was he willing to work 4rth of july to get the 5th off he said no

• 1 month later...

Update:

Suit filed over Calif. school clothing flap

MORGAN HILL, Calif. (AP) -- Three students at a California high school who were ordered to remove clothing with the American flag on Cinco de Mayo are suing the school district.

The civil rights suit was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court for Northern California. The suit claims school officials at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill violated the students' rights to freedom of speech, due process and equal protection.

The students say school officials told them to remove their T-shirts or turn them inside out on May 5 because they were inappropriate on Cinco de Mayo. Students with Mexican flags and clothing with pro-Mexican messages, meanwhile, were not asked to do the same.

Click on the link for the full article

Update:

Suit filed over Calif. school clothing flap

MORGAN HILL, Calif. (AP) -- Three students at a California high school who were ordered to remove clothing with the American flag on Cinco de Mayo are suing the school district.

The civil rights suit was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court for Northern California. The suit claims school officials at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill violated the students' rights to freedom of speech, due process and equal protection.

The students say school officials told them to remove their T-shirts or turn them inside out on May 5 because they were inappropriate on Cinco de Mayo. Students with Mexican flags and clothing with pro-Mexican messages, meanwhile, were not asked to do the same.

Click on the link for the full article

Now that is funny in an ironic way.

Archived