Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

559223_489066644441649_836413875_n.jpg

Killer whales, or orcas, living in the North Atlantic might be on the verge of becoming two separate species! One group of orcas (type 1) found across the Northeastern Atlantic were found to have significantly worn-down teeth, which is characteristic of whales that mainly prey on fish and seals. Another group of orcas (type 2) have sharp teeth with minimal wear, meaning they mainly prey on larger marine mammals, such as small baleen whales. These type 2 orcas are found hunting off the coast of Ireland and Scotland, but are more closely related with Antarctic whales than type 1 whales. This implies that orcas around the world may be spreading out and filling in specific ecological niches, just like the finches of the Galapagos, only on a global scale.

This isn't the only example of multiple orca subspecies. It is well known that orcas occur in three distinct groups off the coast of western North America (the fish-eating residents, the mammal-eating transients, and the mysterious offshore that may eat both fish and mammals) and although they live in the same area, they avoid each other and may not have interbred in over 10,000 years! Antarctic orcas are also found in different groups with very distinct morphological differences (pictured below, with the second link explaining the differences in diet) and dwarf groups have been sighted in this area as well.

Something to think about.. if there are many different subspecies of orca, how do we go about protecting them? There is still lots to learn.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/cetaceans/killerwhale.htm

I didn't get any pictures, but I just watched a 4 foot sea turtle lay its eggs, in the full moonlight on an empty beach with just my puppy.

It may have been the most incredible thing ever. I have chills and goosebumps.

So do I. That's supercool. Thanks for sharing.

This bear was in the Polish army fighting the Nazis. What a boss

It's a story worthy of a Hollywood adaptation. A cuddly bear cub, orphaned in the mountains of northern Iran, grows up to become a soldier in the Polish army and helps fight the Nazis during World War II.

"Wojtek" the bear, Polish for "The Smiling Warrior" or "He Who Enjoys War," continues to be honored today, German news magazine Der Spiegel reports.

According to legend, the bear was rescued by a young boy in the mountains of northern Iran after hunters had shot the cub's mother, and was later sold to the Polish army.

The soldiers were part of the so-called "Anders Army," a unit composed of Polish prisoners of war released by the Soviet Union after it was attacked by Germany, and the cuddly bear cub provided an instant morale boost for the soldiers, many of whom had endured Soviet internment camps.

The troops treated Wojtek like one of their own. "He was just like a dog," said Polish Veteran Augustyn Karolewski to the BBC in 2008, adding "He drank a beer like any man" and reportedly had a taste for cigarettes, which he would swallow whole.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 07:29 PM ----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(soldier_bear)

The bear was fed with fruits, marmalade, honey and syrup, and was often rewarded with beer, which became his favourite drink. He also enjoyed smoking and eating cigarettes.[2][3] He enjoyed wrestling and was taught to salute when greeted.

220px-Wojtek_the_bear.jpg