Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

Check this out... I follow a science blog on Tumblr and she recently promoted this site.

http://www.solarsystemscope.com/

Here is the blog that she wrote...

There’s this idea that if all the planets are perfectly aligned on one side of the sun, all hell would break loose on Earth—the influences of the other planets would cause earthquakes, floods, huge tides, huge cracks in the earth as gravity pulls it apart, the flipping of our magnetic field or even the flipping of the planet on its axis…

But I am here to call bull----.

Planetary alignments happen all the time. Since all planets orbit the sun, it’s inevitable that at some point, they must line up. Earth takes one year to orbit the sun while Mars takes approximately two, so every two years, Earth and Mars line up—but for all the planets to align, you have to wait much longer. The thing is, in the billions of years of the solar system’s history, alignments must have actually happened, and probably happen every few millions of years.

I use the word ‘alignment’ loosely, though. In the past, it’s more likely that the planets have just all been in the sky at the same time in an approximate line. (And even if they did all line up perfectly, it would have absolutely no affect on the Earth—the gravitational effects of anything other than the sun or moon are negligible.)

Planetary alignment can be used for some awesome scientific opportunities. In the late 1970s, the planets were aligned in such a way that Voyager 2 was launched so it could undertake a Grand Tour of the solar system, flying by Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all in a row over 15 years. This wasn’t a straight-line alignment, though—more of a curving spiral. The last time the planets were reasonably well lined up was in June 1988, when all planets except Jupiter and Pluto were on the same side of the sun, and formed an approximate line.

Geoff Mackley, Bradley Ambrose, Nathan Berg, after an epic struggle with the weather for 35 days, we became the first people ever to get this close to Marum Volcano's famed lava lake on Ambrym Island, Vanuatu. Coming within 30 metres of the lava lake down a watercourse, it was possible to stand the heat for only 6 seconds. With Fire Brigade breathing apparatus and heat proof proximity suit it was possible to stand on the very edge and view the incredible show for over 40 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20026938

_63628360_c0090693-beluga_whale,_delphinapterus_leucas-spl.jpg

What a white whale might look like

Researchers in the US have been shocked to discover a beluga whale whose vocalisations were remarkably close to human speech.

While dolphins have been taught to mimic the pattern and durations of sounds in human speech, no animal has spontaneously tried such mimicry.

But researchers heard a nine-year-old whale named NOC make sounds octaves below normal, in clipped bursts.

The researchers outline in Current Biology just how NOC did it.

The first mystery, though, was figuring out where the sound was coming from.

When a diver at the National Marine Mammal Foundation in California surfaced saying, "Who told me to get out?" the researchers there knew they had another example on their hands.

--If you go to the link you can listen and yes, it sounds like a person talking to you, just mumbled. This is amazing. A whale is teaching itself to speak to us. Probably to ask us WTF we are doing.

Edited by Koolblue13

http://www.mysmallhomestead.com/2009/06/1001-uses-for-vinegar/

have been having a problem with lint accumulating on different clothing when we line dry them. I researched the problem and learned that this often comes from a clogged filter in the washing machine. The suggested remedy is a cup of white vinegar run through a cycle every month. Now I knew that vinegar was good for coffee pots but I didn’t translate that to other appliances.

- Lower your dependency on oil, chemicals and plastic and save a ton of money.

--If you go to the link you can listen and yes, it sounds like a person talking to you, just mumbled. This is amazing. A whale is teaching itself to speak to us. Probably to ask us WTF we are doing.

Sounds like a drunk person mumble-singing a song through a kazoo.

VERY interesting!!

If anyone could explain the behavior of the magnet and the copper pipe, I would appreciate it.

Ahhh, a classic example of Lenz's Law. The video is quite dramatic for a demonstration of one of the basic principles of electromagnetism, but that guy doesn't seem like he's that grounded in reality.

As the magnet falls through the pipe it creates a moving magnetic field. A magnetic field that moves across a conductive material will induce a current in that material. This is how electric generators work. A copper wire wrapped around a spinning magnet will see a changing magnetic field and thus, will see a current.

Generator.gif

The example with the pipe takes it a step further. The moving magnet induces a current in the copper pipe, but that current generates it's own magnetic field and that field will exactly oppose the one that created it. Basically, as the magnet moves it creates a magnetic field that opposes its own movement. The stronger the magnet, the stronger the opposing magnetic force will be and the closer it will come to "defying gravity".

EDIT: I found a great site with gifs explaining what's happening! http://regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys08/clenslaw/default.htm

Here's the example of the opposing magnetic fields, the blue circular arrows represent the field that's resisting the movement of the magnet.

lenstub2.gif

Edited by HBnotBlades