Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

Over the past three decades, our planet has gotten greener!

Even stranger, the greening of the planet in recent decades appears to be happening because of, not despite, our reliance on fossil fuels.

A defense contractor better known for building jet fighters and lethal missiles says it has found a way to slash the amount of energy needed to remove salt from seawater, potentially making it vastly cheaper to produce clean water at a time when scarcity has become a global security issue.

The process, officials and engineers at Lockheed Martin Corp say, would enable filter manufacturers to produce thin carbon membranes with regular holes about a nanometer in size that are large enough to allow water to pass through but small enough to block the molecules of salt in seawater. A nanometer is a billionth of a meter.

Because the sheets of pure carbon known as graphene are so thin - just one atom in thickness - it takes much less energy to push the seawater through the filter with the force required to separate the salt from the water, they said.

The development could spare underdeveloped countries from having to build exotic, expensive pumping stations needed in plants that use a desalination process called reverse osmosis.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/13/us-usa-desalination-idUSBRE92C05720130313

ran across this on you-tube. cartoonists must have eaten a few sugar cubes in the day. crazy stuff.

In my wheelhouse...

The white spook thing floating and contorting is an animated ''music video' by the Fleischer studio, for Cab Calloway's "St. James Infirmary".

it's long legs are an interpretation of his ever present white tux with tails, and his rubber legs.

Check this guy out if you never have... Cab calloway laid some major groundwork...the first minute of this one is him doing his dance that is animated above.

~Bang

The animation - and the guy on whom the animation is modeled - does some moves that look remarkably similar to the Moon Walk, 50 or 60 years before Michael Jackson made it famous.

Cab Calloway was the man. definitely inspired many performers that don't even realize it's him they're mimicking.

~Bang

Oh,man. I didn't realize that was actually Cab Calloway himself. I thought it was a dancer with Calloway's band.

----

BTW, dogs are cool:

I always assumed they weren't real crocs when they did this stunt for the movie, seeing this I'm impressed with the daring of the stunt man, although I imagine that to keep them in the right spot and to keep them from moving away they must have been tied in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WIdRtelFVzU

A backflip in a car:

I saw that ad, and i couldn't help but think that if you want to get across how GREAT your product is that it is all connected, Agent Smith might not be the best spokesman.

Every time I saw multiple Smiths in the ad, i thought "oh hell, there they are. Run!"

~Bang

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6433-1366914566-5.gif

This is Albert Pujols' entire at-bat against Darvish in one convenient GIF. What makes this GIF spectacular is how Darvish uses the EXACT same delivery and EXACT same arm slot for each pitch, yet not a single ball ends up within a foot of another.