Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Actually, I hope instant replay (other than homers) never makes it into MLB.

It will make the umpires even worse. It has in the NFL atleast.

So you want to go back to plays like Testaverde being ruled in the endzone for a safety costing the Jets the game?

I mean there will never be a perfect officiating but we should let technology help us.

Very true. But still, you cant go back after the game is over and change it. I understand changing a hit to an error...now if they somehow did that, i would maybe be okay with it but you cant go back and correct this.

Where does it end? The '85 Cardinals may start a riot if last nights game was overturned...Denkinger's call could be overturned...and then we are talking about maybe a different WS champion. There are plenty of games that have had incorrect games end in bad calls, each one will be dug out and then reviewed i guess.

What happened sucks, i get that ....and Joyce was wrong but its over and MLB made its bed in having no replay on this type of thing so now they have to sleep in it.

Changing a call the next day would open up the biggest can of worms in Professional Sports outside of steriods and NBA refs fixing games.

It should be a wakeup call and they should use last night as Exhibit A on why its necessary. But you cant go back. I was fully against replay in baseball but now im on the other side. GET REPLAY IN THE GAME! They parially do it...just go full in.

I disagree here.

There were two down in the ninth when this call happened. The next batter was out. Therefore, it's not difficult to take an AB away from the batter that hit after the call, call the baserunner out as he should have been and call it a game.

That out would have ended the game.

If there were 0 or 1 outs I'd agree with you.

I'm thinking baseball would be best served using hockey's system. A live feed from every game is watched by officials at MLB headquarters, and they can instantly signal the umps at any game if there's a major call that needs to be reviewed. There'd have to be an arbitrary definition of what a "major" or "game-changing" call would be - I don't think you could ever include balls and strikes, even for an extra-innings game in the World Series - but I'd rather see something like that implemented than NFL-style challenges. (I think I'd like to see both pro and college football use the NHL system, too. The biggest problem would be the speed of the game. Teams can hustle to the line and get the next play off in a matter of seconds. Questionable calls in hockey and baseball generally involve a bit more lag time.)

Might be the first good thing (that I agree with) that Selig has done.

I think the knee jerk reaction was for him to do it. I still think he should've reversed it since it had no effect on the game since the Tigers won anyone and the next guy was out. But it does set a bad precedent for the game. If a team had a call go against them they did like they would ask Selig to overturn it. I don't agree with it, but it does make sense.

Lol do you listen to ESPN Radio all day

It was ridiculous not to overturn a blatantly incorrect call. Now that the game is over, and he won't overturn it, measures definitely need to be put in place so these things can be overturned on the field instead of a day later in offices.

Lol do you listen to ESPN Radio all day

It was ridiculous not to overturn a blatantly incorrect call. Now that the game is over, and he won't overturn it, measures definitely need to be put in place so these things can be overturned on the field instead of a day later in offices.

Lol I have it on as background noise at work

Bud made the right call on this. It's ****ed up Joyce dropped the cookies on this one. Shades of George Brett and the pine tar incident, but they replayed the whole at bat once the league ruled the ump made the wrong call. Sucks for Galarraga, kid deserved his perfect game.

Edited by DCranon21

Shoulda given it to him. I don't care what anyone says. Not only for the pitcher but also for the ump who will now have this hanging over his head for the rest of his life. It was the last out, its not like it was early in the game. He just needed take away one at bat and one hit. Giving it to him would have no impact on the rest of the baseball season. It would have simply been the right thing to do. Everyone around the league would understand that this is a unique circumstance where there is absolutely no question that he was out. Give me a ****ing break.

Whatever he pitched a perfect game and everyone knows it.

Honestly, everyone saying it opens up a can of worms. No it doesn't.

The game's result would not change, and it was only because it was a perfect game on the line. The 1985 World Series is not the same, there was still time to be played. The Cardinals fell apart and then got destroyed the next game 11-0. Completely different circumstances.

Edited by Sticksboi05

The guys on PTI said it should've been reversed without question immediately.

Back to Ken Griffey Jr. Did anyone else here have Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball for SNES? And did you have the bat you could plug in as a controller for the Home Run Derby?

And I forgive Jim Joyce. Galarraga himself has moved on. No fan has the right to be angrier about this situation than him. It's time to move on. The record books don't matter, what does is that everyone knows he pitched 21st perfect game ever.

instant replay would protect the umps from situations like this. By all accounts, joyce is a good umpire and a good person, but he's going down in baseball infamy

instant replay would protect the umps from situations like this. By all accounts, joyce is a good umpire and a good person, but he's going down in baseball infamy

This goes to show why baseball is flawed.

The "purists" ruin the game.

I still don't understand how you can have 2 separate leagues with 2 strike zones, and two sets of different rules.

You have fans who say. "I don't like National League baseball"

The call should have been overturned. Replay in baseball is a slippery slope.

How about making standard rules across the game. Either have a DH or have the pitcher hit. And make the umps call games in the now two separate leagues.

Then we can discuss replay in some situations.