Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Standardize DH around league

I was listening to noted Yankee radio personality John Sterling the other day broadcast his Yankee games and he said other than the NL he didn't know of any league that didn't use the DH. He said the minors and Japan even used the DH, and he's right.

So basically the NL is the only league antiquated and out-of-touch enough to still have a guy hit whose average is FAR below the Mendoza line. Good job NL

Edited by ixcuincle

I was listening to noted Yankee radio personality John Sterling the other day broadcast his Yankee games and he said other than the NL he didn't know of any league that didn't use the DH. He said the minors and Japan even used the DH, and he's right.

So basically the NL is the only league antiquated and out-of-touch enough to still have a guy hit whose average is FAR below the Mendoza line. Good job NL

Are you sure all the minors use DH's? I could've swore I heard Strasburg was hitting in the minors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=strasb001ste

Dave Trembley has been fired by the Orioles.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-orioles-manager-dave-trembley-fired,0,5918317.story

Dave Trembley, who was asked to the lead the Orioles through the early stages of a massive rebuilding project, has been fired less than two months into his third full season as the team's manager.

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail met with Trembley Thursday. The Orioles will announce the change at 9:30 this morning, according to a team source. The team is saddled with a major league-worst 15-39 record and off to the worst start since the 1988 team began 0-21.

Juan Samuel will take over the club on an interim basis, while MacPhail is expected to begin the search for Trembley's long-term successor immediately. Triple-A Norfok manager Gary Allenson will become third base coach. Samuel will be the club's ninth since Peter Angelos became the principal owner of the Orioles in August 1993.

Hudson is hitting .286.

The NL is the only league that has it RIGHT, btw. The DH should be done away with.

Hudson is hitting .286.

The NL is the only league that has it RIGHT, btw. The DH should be done away with.

Make the DH optional in both leagues. Any team that wants to stick with tradition can do so, but now NL teams will be allowed to have a DH.

Make the DH optional in both leagues. Any team that wants to stick with tradition can do so, but now NL teams will be allowed to have a DH.

Horrible idea. A better idea is to make each player HIT! The DH is so freaking lame. You should have to play the field in order to bat. Only exception is a pinch-hitter.

Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Dan Haren is hitting .417!! (15 for 36)...:yikes:

Considering the comically poor BA of stars such as Ubaldo Jimenez, Tim Lincecum and Roy Halladay this stat is a strong outlier

Despite being an outlier it is amazing

By the way...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5262731

But Selig also told reporters that he does not see a groundswell of support in baseball circles for greater use of instant replay. While he will continue to hold discussions with his special committee for on-field matters, he expressed doubt that expanded use of replay will take place during the 2010 season.

"It is interesting," Selig said. "Most baseball people are really against instant replay. There's no question about that. I could sense that the last three days [in talking to people].

gundyainttrue.jpg

Edited by ixcuincle

Problem with the Anti-DH people are that they can bring up a few pitchers here and there that can actually hit. But I guarantee if you combined all the pitchers in both leagues and came up with an average, it would be below .200.

The DH extends careers for some guys. Even if a DH is not the best hitter average wise, he can hit HRs. I mean some DH's hit .225, but will belt 35+ HRs. Plus, it protects pitchers from getting hit.

On the flip side, the bench is more meaningful in the NL and pitchers can't headhunt because they know they'll get beaned.

I've always been a DH guy. I'd rather have a productive .200 hitter than a non-prodcutive .200 hitter. Actually, I'm a speed guy. I loved the 80's with Henderson, Tim Raines and most the Cardinals team who could steal bases and hit triples. Two plays I love in Baseball are a triple or a stolen base.

Horrible idea. A better idea is to make each player HIT! The DH is so freaking lame. You should have to play the field in order to bat. Only exception is a pinch-hitter.

Thanks but I disagree.

Either the DH should be instituted across the league or no changes should be made. I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle now.

Thanks but I disagree.

Either the DH should be instituted across the league or no changes should be made. I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle now.

Careful. We're taling about Selig here. The same guy that awarded home field in the WS to the winner of the freaking ALL STAR GAME!

Careful. We're taling about Selig here. The same guy that awarded home field in the WS to the winner of the freaking ALL STAR GAME!

What about DH League wide on odd numbered months and no DH on Even numbered months...

Or, DH for the first half of the season and no DH the 2nd half...

I'm starting to consider hopping over to the Pro-DH bandwagon. I just think it's silly having a guy go up there and pretty much be a guaranteed out every time. I know it adds to the strategy but I still think it's lame.

Either way both leagues need to be the same because it's stupid having half the teams play with different rules. You don't see the NFC and AFC have different rules in football. I know there is more of a history to the different leagues in MLB but they are way too caught up in their tradition sometimes.

I'm a pro-DH guy myself, despite the fact that I was "baseball homeless" until the Nats came to town, and thus have paid closer attention to the NL. I don't care if having pitchers bat adds to roster management strategy, watching NL offenses struggle through their pitcher spot every couple of innings isn't fun. It's the exact opposite of fun. I mean, hell, we could outlaw the forward pass in the NFC to make things more challenging for offenses in that conference, but it would be boring as ****.

Along with roids and the strike, the ivention of the DH is one of the great travesties of baseball. Just horrible. NL baseball is so much better. So much more strategy. Real baseball. I'm so happy the Nats are an NL team. I don't care if I never see another AL game again.

Along with roids and the strike, the ivention of the DH is one of the great travesties of baseball. Just horrible. NL baseball is so much better. So much more strategy. Real baseball. I'm so happy the Nats are an NL team. I don't care if I never see another AL game again.

I agree so much.

Now serious question... Does the DH HAVE to be for the pitcher? Like if you had an incredible catcher, but couldn't hit worth a damn, could the DH be for the Catcher?

Nothing like loading the bases down by 4 runs with the pitcher coming up. Either they strike out or try to sacrafice. I don't like a good rally snuffed out by a guy hitting .136 on the season. I'd rather have a light hitting second baseman/shortstop hitting .240. But how many times does this "strategy" come up in a game? The wave of sports is offense in this country. The DH provides offense. That's why American's for the most part are not soccer fans and Hockey has not been embraced as much as Football and Basketball. Oh, you pay the pitcher to "pitch", not hit. That's why his position is not called "hitter."

Tonight is $1 hot dog night at the Rangers game. Anyone care to take guesses as to how many hot dogs I'm gonna eat? I just broke a long fast two nights ago, so I've had time to get back in the groove with eating and to re-expand my stomach. So I'm feeling like setting a new personal season record. This is my fourth $1 hot dog night to attend this season. I'm pumped. Just hope it doesn't rain.

Nothing like loading the bases down by 4 runs with the pitcher coming up. Either they strike out or try to sacrafice. I don't like a good rally snuffed out by a guy hitting .136 on the season. I'd rather have a light hitting second baseman/shortstop hitting .240. But how many times does this "strategy" come up in a game? The wave of sports is offense in this country. The DH provides offense. That's why American's for the most part are not soccer fans and Hockey has not been embraced as much as Football and Basketball. Oh, you pay the pitcher to "pitch", not hit. That's why his position is not called "hitter."

Loading the bases down? That doesn't even make sense. But oftentimes, if the bases are loaded, and the pitcher is coming up, there is likely to be a pinch-hitter. This is especially true later on in the game. And no pitcher tries to "sacrifice" with the bases loaded. Have you ever even watched baseball before?

Now serious question... Does the DH HAVE to be for the pitcher? Like if you had an incredible catcher, but couldn't hit worth a damn, could the DH be for the Catcher?

I'm pretty sure you could do that. but I don't think that would ever happen unless you had a pitcher who hit like .300 and had power.