Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grossman May Have Been Brought In for More Than Just Backup Duty (Sirius Radio)

kingdaddy

Is Obama the anti-christ  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is Obama the anti-christ

• Heck no, he's the messiah
    • Heck no
    • Hell yes,
    • Hell uncertain... he might be more evidence needed

If JC is here past the draft, and even going into training camp, he will be the starter.

His value in a trade would plummet if he is on the bench. People who want a different QB oddly enough should hope JC is the starter, so the Skins could get something of value for him.

Watching Grossman play, my gut feeling is that he has small hands for a QB. He doesn't get a firm enough grip on the ball to zip it in between the defensive backs - even a 10 yard pass floats on him. In a sense, his decline mirrors the Campbell/Zorn phenomenon - once defenses got enough film on him, he was easy to beat. Initially everyone tried pressuring him to force him into newbie mistakes, but he used his speed WRs to chuck the ball downfield. Then people realized that while he's got plenty of vertical arm strength, his throws were all wounded ducks. DBs simply shifted their attention from staying in tight coverage to always looking back for the ball, and that's when all the INTs piled up. Bad weather, such as in the Bears/Colts SB, makes the problems of small hands/poor grip even more acute. You can't teach a player to grow bigger hands. In a sense, Grossman and Campbell are two of a kind - backup QBs with great character who simply are not starting material. I've never been a fan of JC as a player, but I suspect he'll win this competition.

Watching Grossman play, my gut feeling is that he has small hands for a QB. He doesn't get a firm enough grip on the ball to zip it in between the defensive backs - even a 10 yard pass floats on him. In a sense, his decline mirrors the Campbell/Zorn phenomenon - once defenses got enough film on him, he was easy to beat. Initially everyone tried pressuring him to force him into newbie mistakes, but he used his speed WRs to chuck the ball downfield. Then people realized that while he's got plenty of vertical arm strength, his throws were all wounded ducks. DBs simply shifted their attention from staying in tight coverage to always looking back for the ball, and that's when all the INTs piled up. Bad weather, such as in the Bears/Colts SB, makes the problems of small hands/poor grip even more acute. You can't teach a player to grow bigger hands. In a sense, Grossman and Campbell are two of a kind - backup QBs with great character who simply are not starting material. I've never been a fan of JC as a player, but I suspect he'll win this competition.

I think it depends. JC always seems to start out slow. Maybe our defense will play better if Grossman can show an ability to score early in games. They would actually be playing with the lead for once instead of always playing behind.

I don't mind the open competition. However, i just don't think that Rex is a good starting QB. If he happens to beat JC out of the job, then i think we are in some real trouble.
If he beats out the other QBs on the roster then by all means start the man.

I wouldn't bet on it, but hey, best man should play.

:2cents:

I agree wholeheartedly with these posts...

One thing for sure he is not a "signed" member of this team right now yet Rexy, CB and Bartel are.

This won't be popular but...

Does anyone think it's possible that maybe the Shanahan's want to see JC in mini-camp...see if they have something to work with and if so we extend JC for 2-3 yrs at a modest rate to be a care taker for the rookie we draft? Or If they determine that he doesn't have what they want, they have him sign the tender or we attempt to deal him?

Does anyone think it's possible that maybe the Shanahan's want to see JC in mini-camp...see if they have something to work with and if so we extend JC for 2-3 yrs at a modest rate to be a care taker for the rookie we draft? Or If they determine that he doesn't have what they want, they have him sign the tender or we attempt to deal him?

I would think that that's an option, though I know Shanny will want to work on the OL as well.

Not to regurgitate the OL/QB or JC/OL argument but it really depends on what Shanny thinks of the top QBs as compared to the O-Linemen.

I'm not opposed to that plan at all, Shanny and Kyle probably have a much better feel for what they want at QB than Zorn did but we're going to have to decide whether we're going to mortgage our future on a QB or if we're going to say "Ok lets fix the line and give JC a shot in this offense."

If Gross Man beats out JC for starting quarterback it just means another mediocre 8-8 season. Meanwhile the head coach can work on improving other key positions on the team this year. But I would rather have Colt getting experience than using Gross Man to try to rejuvenate his mediocre career. I hope the ball Coach knows that our fans will judge him on how he deals with the quarterbacks he brings into camp and how he makes judgments about them. The fans will be crying foul if the ball coach makes major mistakes on offense with starters before the first game of the year.

I would think that that's an option, though I know Shanny will want to work on the OL as well.

Not to regurgitate the OL/QB or JC/OL argument but it really depends on what Shanny thinks of the top QBs as compared to the O-Linemen.

I'm not opposed to that plan at all, Shanny and Kyle probably have a much better feel for what they want at QB than Zorn did but we're going to have to decide whether we're going to mortgage our future on a QB or if we're going to say "Ok lets fix the line and give JC a shot in this offense."

My whole thinking to this is if JC can show the Shanahan's that he can work in their offense, we don't have to make a panic decision(drafting Clausen) if Bradford and Okung are not there at #4(which I don't think he will be)...We can possibly move back a little for teams that like a Suh, McCoy, or Berry, and recoup some picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...

I think if the offense is anything like the Texans offense(PA, and 5-7 step drops) or the offense the elder Shanahan ran for Cutler a +50% shotgun offense JC will show that he is worthy...As PA, 5-7 step drops, and the shotgun are where he really excels...It's the quick stuff that he struggles with...

To all of you guys focusing on Rex's bad games (yes he had 4 atrocious games), remember that it was his first year starting fully in the NFL. Every qb has went through those struggles.

When Rex is hot, he is as good as any qb in the NFL. It is complete BS to say that Rex contributed nothing to the Bears their super bowl season. He had the MOST 100 QBR games in the NFL that year (tied with Peyton Manning).

More to consider, the Bears essentially had the same offense in 05, as they did in 06. In 05, the Bears were at the bottom of nearly every single passing and scoring statistic. In 06, they scored the 5th most offensive points in the league. The only difference? Rex Grossman was at qb, as opposed to Kyle Orton.

Give him a chance, don't listen to all of the hate. The past is the past. Make your own judgments.

I think good Rex is as good as any franchise QB can get, the problem is that bad Rex rears his head way too Often. Rex can have an incredible game where he looks truly legit, then the next week he can post a 0.0 QB rating.

I think good Rex is as good as any franchise QB can get, the problem is that bad Rex rears his head way too Often. Rex can have an incredible game where he looks truly legit, then the next week he can post a 0.0 QB rating.

I still can't believe that Rex is a Skin, but to use a SW analogy, he's been a paduwan in training. All the QBs on our team need to show more consistency and they fall into the Anakin Skywalker syndrome in terms of future potential.

They are still all teachable and we need to have the faith that Shanny & his team of Jedi masters will mold the chosen one (whoever that may be including any QBs from the upcoming draft) into one of the greatest ever to represent Skins nation....to restore balance to the NFC East and shift the power away from Sith Lord wannabies, aka the midgets, eaglets and cowgurls.

:saber:

I agree wholeheartedly with these posts...

This won't be popular but...

Its certainly possible, but i think it will take more then just mini-camp.

If i were evaluating wether he could run the offense before i sign him i would wait until mid-season like the Cowboys did with Romo sits to pee.

But, i would only re-sign if he was more then a care-taker.

I guess it depends on your definition of care taker, i consider a care-taker no different then a stop-gap and if we couldn't be competitive for 2-3 years with JC then imo there would be no point in re-signing him.

If the Shanahan's don't think Jason has a legitmate shot at running their offense at a high level it only makes sense to trade him for value now and let Grossman be the stop gap and draft their QB of the future.

Or

An even more radical approach i would address non-QB problems this year OL+RB and try build a more ready to contend team then what we have know and to aquire a QB next year (McNabb).

The rental of a QB like McNabb gives a 2-4? year window where the team should be playoff competitive and afford time to groom a QB in the later rounds without the risk of drafting them in the 1st round. Most QB gurus draft 1 QB every draft anyway.

My whole thinking to this is if JC can show the Shanahan's that he can work in their offense, we don't have to make a panic decision(drafting Clausen) if Bradford and Okung are not there at #4(which I don't think he will be)...We can possibly move back a little for teams that like a Suh, McCoy, or Berry, and recoup some picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...

I'm not convinced that the Shanahan's are planning to draft a QB with 1/2 round pick.

I know that's the common perception, but it was also assumed that we were going after Peppers and that we would be throwing money around like crazy during the free agency.

Again, if i were the Shanahan's and i knew for a certain that i was going to draft a QB with a top pick and whomever the QB was for this year was merely a stop gap then.......

I would trade Jason Campbell while he has maximum value and i wouldn't wait until training camp.

I think if the offense is anything like the Texans offense(PA, and 5-7 step drops) or the offense the elder Shanahan ran for Cutler a +50% shotgun offense JC will show that he is worthy...As PA, 5-7 step drops, and the shotgun are where he really excels...It's the quick stuff that he struggles with...

If our improved OL can meet the demands of a 5-7 step drop heavy offense i think it suits JC skill set quite well 10-20 yard intermediate passes.

But, even if we rely on a 3 step drop passing game i think their scheme will be far superior to Zorn's, afterall Sherman Lewis was better calling Zorn's own plays.

In many ways being forced into Zorn's offense helped JC become a more complete QB; i saw improvement on hitting those quick rhythm 3 step drop passes.

I think Grossman ends up under center at some point -- maybe on opening day. Here's why:

JC always talks about wanting to go downfield. He implies that not enough deep shots are called.

But here's the thing. He's been saying the same thing no matter the offensive scheme or playcaller.

The problem isn't that no deep shots are ever called... the problem is that JC seems to be incapable of taking a chance. He's just wired that way, I'm afraid. It might have something to do with the fact that despite what some misinformed members of the media say, JC is not a great deep ball thrower. It looks pretty... it just never goes where it's supposed to.

Shanny watches film. He sees the flaws. He'll give JC a chance and like me, hope JC proves him wrong. But after a couple games of JC quickly checking down on 3rd and 7... for better or worse, it will be Rex's time.

It might have something to do with the fact that despite what some misinformed members of the media say, JC is not a great deep ball thrower. It looks pretty... it just never goes where it's supposed to.

I agree with this. My opinion is that JC throws his deep ball too flat which gives him a very small margin of error and makes it a tough ball for his receiver to catch as well. I think this is one of those things were him having a very strong arm hurts him.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've nearly shattered my remote watching Campbell overthrow Santana Moss after he's beaten the defender by 5 yards. So many easy TDs or explosive plays left on the field due to inaccuracy on the deep ball.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've nearly shattered my remote watching Campbell overthrow Santana Moss after he's beaten the defender by 5 yards. So many easy TDs or explosive plays left on the field due to inaccuracy on the deep ball.

this is another reason i cant stand when people complain about moss "being too short" or "losing a step" or "not getting separation". anyone that watches knows the dude can still burn it up down the field he just doesnt have an accurate guy throwing to him. its not like moss isnt getting open down the field, the ball just doesnt get to him.

this is another reason i cant stand when people complain about moss "being too short" or "losing a step" or "not getting separation". anyone that watches knows the dude can still burn it up down the field he just doesnt have an accurate guy throwing to him. its not like moss isnt getting open down the field, the ball just doesnt get to him.

Do you remember that article in which Moss talked about getting overthrown even in practice?

Archived