Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grossman May Have Been Brought In for More Than Just Backup Duty (Sirius Radio)

kingdaddy

Is Obama the anti-christ  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is Obama the anti-christ

• Heck no, he's the messiah
    • Heck no
    • Hell yes,
    • Hell uncertain... he might be more evidence needed

OK. There is no ****ing way Rex Grossman beats out Jason Campbell for the starting quarterback job. No ****ing way.

Sorry JC haters. Barring injury, the guy is taking the first snap on opening day.

what if the shanahans prefer a QB like rex to a QB like campbell? anyone can see these guys are night and day different QBs. rex is a guy who will throw it anywhere anytime regardless of situation. hes a reckless QB that plays high risk/high reward football. campbell is the exact opposite.

so again, it boils down to what does our coaching staff want and why?

I can't get away from the numbers enough to give him a chance. Everytime I try to find something that makes me able to, I find another terrible stat. ESers talk about comebacks, close games, and fourth quarter performance a lot. Here are some numbers only from his Super Bowl season:

4th Quarter Within 7 points:

51.2% Comp percentage

3 TDs 8 INTs

39.8 QB rating

Perhaps it would be better to look at his stats trying to comeback from behind:

51.7% Comp percentage

7 TDs 15 INTs

49.6 QB rating

Were talking about the Bears here. SInce when have they ever developed a QB? Take a look at the plunge in Cutlers numbers. Its a direct domino effect as a result of the coaching, scheme, and players.

Take a look at Peyton Manning, Drew Brees', Troy Aikman's numbers in their first 30 or so games. There not pretty. Im not saying Rex is even close to the calibur of these players, im just sayin. Obviously the Shannahans saw something out of him that they liked. I expect Rex to take a big step forward after watching Schaub last year. As well as having actually legit NFL coaching for the first time.

Rex isn't a great QB or a long-term solution but I could definitely see him being to the 2010 Redskins what Kyle Orton was to the 2009 Broncos or maybe even what Chad Pennington was to the 2008 Dolphins.

Although I want to see a QB at #4, I'd still be very excited to have a revamped OL (with Okung), a vet QB under center, and a 2nd rounder learning the system for a year.

True, I was counting special teams in with the defense. What I meant was that their SB year was definitely NOT on the shoulders of Sexy Rexy.

Gotcha!

In Rex's defense the Bears philosophy of offense has been garbage for the last two decades or so. Its as if they still like the "three yards and a cloud of dust" style. They've ignored the offensive line and haven't had any receivers of note in a while. I'd like to see what Rex can do in an offense that plays to his strengths. The guy has a cannon.

I agree with this for the most part. But didn't he have a hard time beating out Orlovsky last year? Really Orlovsky? I could be wrong, but they did keep Orlovsky on the team and let Grossman walk.

I really don't care if JC gets the job or not. I am rooting for him and would like to see him step up and be the man, but if Shanny & co. think someone else will be better at the job, so be it. I will support anyone back there at least for a trial period.

I just want this team to friggin win and really don't care how, well, as long as they are not cheating.

Were talking about the Bears here. SInce when have they ever developed a QB? Take a look at the plunge in Cutlers numbers. Its a direct domino effect as a result of the coaching, scheme, and players.

Take a look at Peyton Manning, Drew Brees', Troy Aikman's numbers in their first 30 or so games. There not pretty. Im not saying Rex is even close to the calibur of these players, im just sayin. Obviously the Shannahans saw something out of him that they liked. I expect Rex to take a big step forward after watching Schaub last year. As well as having actually legit NFL coaching for the first time.

Fair point. I was in love with Schaub's play starting at UVA. I always thought he would be an excellent prospect and I'm glad to see he's doing so well. I'll do my best to keep an open mind when it comes to the mini-camps and competition.

The problem with Rex is how easily he gets rattled. I watched plenty of Bears games in 06 since a friend of mine who lives close to me is a Bears fan and I can tell you that when Rex gets hit or makes a mistake early, it is almost over for him from that point on. He loses his composure and can't regain it. He had a good OL that year in Chicago and still had those god awful games when he got rattled when sacked or pressured early. He had the very good games when he didn't get much pressure and could get into a groove and maintain it. Now picture him behind OUR OL. Even if we do start rebuilding the line, it will still not be "good" since getting to that point does take some time.

Thinking about it makes me shudder.

Originally Posted by darrelgreenie viewpost.gif

Grossman may have been brought in for backup duty and a chance to compete due to familiarity with the system.

The best man will be the starter.

That's what competition is all about.

So if Jason is the day one starter and 'beats' out Grossman and his 'leg up' in the offense' will people admit that Jason is the best man for the job? Or will they say oh its only Rex Grossman?

If Jason wins the job it just means that he has performed better than the other quarterbacks on the roster. Nothing more, nothing less. If he does outperform Rex and Colt that certainly isn't saying much for his skill level. Another quarterback needs to be brought in, either through the draft, trade, or free agency, to truly make this a decent competition. I don't think that Jason beating out Rex and Colt means that he is the best man for the job. It just means that he is the best that we have, and that's sad.

Hence best man for the job.

Anyway thanks, that answers my question.

The OP seems to tout Rex as knowing the system and having a leg up and that the

Shanahan's like Rex Grossman a lot

So Rex supposedly has the favor of the Shanahan's and knows the offense and the Shanahan's are supposedly luke warm on Campbell.

So if Campbell 'wins' the starting spot then doesn't that at least mean the Shanahan's like Campbell alot?

HTTR!

OK. There is no ****ing way Rex Grossman beats out Jason Campbell for the starting quarterback job. No ****ing way.

Sorry JC haters. Barring injury, the guy is taking the first snap on opening day.

I would hope he beats Rex if he is here but what happens if Rex or Colt beats him? You know what happens, he is TOAST as in probably never start again. Lot of pressure with no real contract etc.

So Rex supposedly has the favor of the Shanahan's and knows the offense and the Shanahan's are supposedly luke warm on Campbell.

So if Campbell 'wins' the starting spot then doesn't that at least mean the Shanahan's like Campbell alot?

HTTR!

Well let's use some common sense here. I know it's tuff but stay with me a second. Campbell was here already. Shanny tendered Jason for the minimum he could. Has called for "a lot of open competition at the QB position". Then went out and signed a Vet QB that already knows the system. Jason has not signed his tender so technically not under contract.

So far everything is fact and we are left with speculation that Jason will win the competition yet alone even be here come opening day.

For the time being can we just stick with the facts and leave the speculation for the days to come?

The Bears got to the Super Bowl on their Defense alone. Much like the Ravens of 2000, but at least the Ravens won the game.

FWIW, RG posted passer ratings of less than 10 on more than one occasion their SB year.

How do you discount the phenomenal games that Grossman had that year?

Campbell was here already. Shanny tendered Jason for the minimum he could.

Huh? Jason got a 1st round tender unless i'm mistaken its the second highest tender and its a prohibitive tender because i've read that a player with a 1st round tender almost never get moved.

Has called for "a lot of open competition at the QB position". Then went out and signed a Vet QB that already knows the system. Jason has not signed his tender so technically not under contract.

Um that's not close to an accurate quote of what Shanny said, actually that's pretty close to being made up or libel but hey we're a message board.

But, if you aren't actually quoting someone you probably shouldn't use the quotes and present it as such.

Shanahan did not say there was an open competition he said and I quote:

"There's competition at every position. Just because a guy comes in as a maybe third, fourth or fifth guy, it doesn't mean he doesn't have a chance to compete. But Rex Grossman was with [offensive coordinator] Kyle [shanahan] in Houston, he understands the system. . . . We're going to get as much steps as we can and have all these guys compete."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/24/AR2010032403001_2.html?sid=ST2010032500008

And btw Shanahan has said there would be competition at every position.

Shanahan said this from day 1.

He also said this:

His thoughts on Jason Campbell:

“I really like the way he handles himself. To me he’s a class act. I’m looking forward to studying all the film, sitting down with him, going through the offense and I think I’m going to make him play to the next level. That’s my mindset to get him as good as he can possibly be. I’ve been lucky enough to be around some excellent quarterbacks. If you want to get better, you can get better but you’ve gotta have the mindset and you gotta be here everyday. I gotta understand his talents, his strengths, his weaknesses and make sure I put an offense together that best suits him.”

Listen to Mike Shanahan on ESPN 980 with Doc Walker and Coach Thompson here

For the time being can we just stick with the facts and leave the speculation for the days to come?

Well being that this entire thread is based on specualtion its kinda hard to avoid it.

Also i was asking a question based on the specualtion made in the OP.

Anyway.

This is neither here nor their but something hit me about the OP.

IF Campbell and Rex Grossman are on the same level in the eyes of the coaching staff and Rex, who has prior knowledge of the Kyle's offense, actually has a chance to be the day 1 starter

and

IF we're planning on drafting a 'franchise' QB anyway

Then

Why aren't the Redskins actively trying to trade JC while he still has some value?

Huh? Jason got a 1st round tender unless i'm mistaken its the second highest tender and its a prohibitive tender because i've read that a player with a 1st round tender almost never get moved.

Um that's not close to an accurate quote of what Shanny said, actually that's pretty close to being made up or libel but hey we're a message board.

But, if you aren't actually quoting someone you probably shouldn't use the quotes and present it as such.

Shanahan did not say there was an open competition he said and I quote:

"There's competition at every position. Just because a guy comes in as a maybe third, fourth or fifth guy, it doesn't mean he doesn't have a chance to compete. But Rex Grossman was with [offensive coordinator] Kyle [shanahan] in Houston, he understands the system. . . . We're going to get as much steps as we can and have all these guys compete."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/24/AR2010032403001_2.html?sid=ST2010032500008

And btw Shanahan has said there would be competition at every position.

Shanahan said this from day 1.

He also said this:

His thoughts on Jason Campbell:

“I really like the way he handles himself. To me he’s a class act. I’m looking forward to studying all the film, sitting down with him, going through the offense and I think I’m going to make him play to the next level. That’s my mindset to get him as good as he can possibly be. I’ve been lucky enough to be around some excellent quarterbacks. If you want to get better, you can get better but you’ve gotta have the mindset and you gotta be here everyday. I gotta understand his talents, his strengths, his weaknesses and make sure I put an offense together that best suits him.”

Listen to Mike Shanahan on ESPN 980 with Doc Walker and Coach Thompson here

Well being that this entire thread is based on specualtion its kinda hard to avoid it.

Also i was asking a question based on the specualtion made in the OP.

Anyway.

This is neither here nor their but something hit me about the OP.

IF Campbell and Rex Grossman are on the same level in the eyes of the coaching staff and Rex, who has prior knowledge of the Kyle's offense, actually has a chance to be the day 1 starter

and

IF we're planning on drafting a 'franchise' QB anyway

Then

Why aren't the Redskins actively trying to trade JC while he still has some value?

Excuse me? You obvious have no f'ing clue what you are talking about.

Plus where have you been? We have been through the CBA and the "tender levels". Read what Jason's salary was last year and figure it out yourself, if you can add that high.

Plus the quote I used was legit word for word and Shanny saying a lot of open competition is slander? Please put down the whole milk and drink 2% for a while ok?

Wow just wow!

Plus where have you been? We have been through the CBA and the "tender levels". Read what Jason's salary was last year and figure it out yourself, if you can add that high.

Plus the quote I used was legit word for word and Shanny saying a lot of open competition is slander? Please put down the whole milk and drink 2% for a while ok?

Wow just wow!

Now you're just acting like a dick. "if you can add that high"? Give it a rest.

And how is the quote you used "legit word for word" when it wasn't even what Shanahan said?

Wow just wow!

Nice.

Great post.

You know i forgot how little you actually bring to this forum.

Did you even bother reading the entire post?

And if you're quote is legit then post a link and source like every body else.

And thanks for responding to my question.

HTTR!

Nice.

Great post.

You know i forgot how little you actually bring to this forum.

Did you even bother reading the entire post?

And if you're quote is legit then post a link and source like every body else.

And thanks for responding to my question.

HTTR!

I linked that quote many posts ago. If you are so worried about it look through my history. I like some of you don't cherry pick.

You don't like me for multiple reasons like my dislike of Jason and because my Bama boys knocked out your QB to the sidelines. That's fine but a little respect on both side can go a long way.

Ball in your court.

You don't like me for multiple reasons like my dislike of Jason and because my Bama boys knocked out your QB to the sidelines. That's fine but a little respect on both side can go a long way.

LoL

You're talking about respect?

Do you read the things you write?

To get respect you must give respect.

Sorry to tell you this but you're probably one of the least respected people on this forum.

The way you present your opinions and the manner with which you interect with your fellow members is very dis-respectful.

For the record i don't feel one way or another about you but i dislike the way you post; and because of the way you post i'll probably never respect you.

But, hey whatever floats your boat......are you going to answer my question?

....HTTR

LoL

You're talking about respect?

Do you read the things you write?

To get respect you must give respect.

Sorry to tell you this but you're probably one of the least respected people on this forum.

The way you present your opinions and the manner with which you interect with your fellow members is very dis-respectful.

For the record i don't feel one way or another about you but i dislike the way you post; and because of the way you post i'll probably never respect you.

But, hey whatever floats your boat......are you going to answer my question?

....HTTR

Glad to be of service it is a "internet message board" after all.

You talking about this question?

"Why aren't the Redskins actively trying to trade JC while he still has some value?"

Sorry got lost in the blah, blah, blah long before then but to answer it, how do you know they aren't?

One thing for sure he is not a "signed" member of this team right now yet Rexy, CB and Bartel are.

Actually, the ball is in my court right now.

And there are a few guys, "pro" and "anti" JC, who I and other mods and countless members are tired of seeing spam the threads with the same old ****.

And some are increasingly closer, or have crossed over at times, into straight-up rule violations.

So get this: regardless of your love or hate for JC, regardless if you're new or have been around awhile, regardless of whether I like you as a poster or think you suck, be advised that you may be one of those who is real close to having the next post you make be on opening day of the regular season.

My suggestion to those smart enough to heed it, is to shut up a lot more, vary your act a lot more, and when you do opine, watch what the **** you type a lot more, or you'll be typing it elsewhere a lot more.

I hope that was clear enough.

:)

JC isn't losing a competition to Rex, Colt, or any rookie, and JC isn't going anywhere unless we get a 2nd round pick for him.

Oh, he will look great in practice but he can't play that way in the actual game. If he could only play like practice the guy would be a winner.

Regarding Rex, someone in the coaching department must like his style. I am very curious if Jason can pick up this offense and run it. Its open competition and the other QBs will have a good time putting Jason in the "also ran" category.

Archived