Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grossman May Have Been Brought In for More Than Just Backup Duty (Sirius Radio)

kingdaddy

Is Obama the anti-christ  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is Obama the anti-christ

• Heck no, he's the messiah
    • Heck no
    • Hell yes,
    • Hell uncertain... he might be more evidence needed

Where did you get that 0-7 from? These passes appeared to travel 31 yards:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8149ae6b/Devin-Thomas-Highlight-WK-12-vs-Eagles-2009

This one is close. It looks like the ball travels from the LoS (48) to the 18. If someone told me it landed at the 17 or 16, I'd buy it. But it doesn't make their 31+ list, so I can only assume they're going 48-to-18 and setting it as a 30-yard throw.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d814c7dbf/Jason-Campbell-Highlight-WK-13-vs-Saints-2009

This one also looks to travel from their own 44 to the opponent's 25, but they might say it's getting grabbed at the 26 -- making it just shy at 30 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d814c86f3/Jason-Campbell-Highlight-WK-13-vs-Saints-2009

This one looks a bit more like their own 44 to the opponent's 27 -- so about 29 yards in the air.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8149a509/Malcolm-Kelly-Highlight-WK-12-vs-Eagles-2009

And this one I would call the 32 to the 9 -- or 23 yards in the air.

These aren't "short" passes but if the category is 31+ then I can see why these don't count. On the other hand, if a 3-pt shooter is consistently hitting shots with his foot on or over the line -- those aren't three-point shots but it shows he can make them. He does have the range. The issue is... how consistently? I saw a game where Dennis Rodman hit a couple threes back-to-back. Anything's possible. :)

Thanks for posting these links, though. It's nice to see some of Campbell's brighter spots when it's so easy to remember all the offensive struggles.

When the Skins brought in Grossman onboard ... my first reaction was not positive at all. I very much felt that Campbell needed to win his starter's role rather than being annointed by default. I felt Grossman wouldn't contribute much to the level of competition at QB, and consequently 2010 could turn out to be another "annointing."

I enjoyed your post. I think I too often discount Grossman or assume there are no plans for him beyond back-up. To this point, I've kind of seen him as a Todd Collins, a guy who understands the system and can help the other QBs transition but probably won't get a chance on the field. But with all of Shanahan's focus on competition, and the points from your post... yeah, I'm definitely re-thinking my stance. As everyone else is saying, "May the best guy win." Would love to see a real competition with Campbell, Grossman, Brennan, and Clausen. ;)

richard bartel

Hahaha, i believe that guy is good as gone. But who knows. If they draft a QB in any round.. Bradford, Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, Lefevour.. anybody... then A) Campbell is traded now or B) Brennan is cut..because its obvious that Rex is staying atleast for the year when he was signed and the rook will obv stay

A Jason Campell interview in August 2008. Nearly two years later, and what we learned from jason last year is his number one issues were getting the play called and avoiding delays of game. I don't think he has enough time to process this information, since he obviously didn't comprehend all of these things last year:

What are some of the first things you think, what you recognize and try to adjust for, when you line up under center and you're looking at the opposing team's defense?

Jason Campbell

Quote:

That is a good question. First of all you have to verify the front, you know, what kind of defensive front they’re in. Then you have to find the safeties or the cornerbacks to try see what kind of tip or coverage that you’re going to see on the play. At the same time during all that you’ve got to check out blitzes, you know, make sure that no one’s blitzing. If someone is you’ve got to understand where the hot routes are, where your side adjust is...so it’s a lot of things going through the head of a quarterback during each snap.

Jason Campbell

Quote:

That is a good question. First of all you have to verify the front, you know, what kind of defensive front they’re in. Then you have to find the safeties or the cornerbacks to try see what kind of tip or coverage that you’re going to see on the play. At the same time during all that you’ve got to check out blitzes, you know, make sure that no one’s blitzing. If someone is you’ve got to understand where the hot routes are, where your side adjust is...so it’s a lot of things going through the head of a quarterback during each snap.

The above is what a halfway decent QB should be doing at High Shool level. By the time you get to be an experienced NFL starter it should be almost instinctive. Sure defenses are more complex and coverages disguised in the NFL but recognising defenses, coverages and blitzes is pretty much QB 101. It's why they do all that film work.

I support Campbell and think he can play in the NFL but quotes like that don't sit well. Maybe he was just giving an over simplistic answer to a question he must have been asked lots before but it does support what many say - he seems to struggle processing information under centre sometimes.

let the resurextion of rex begin...

Best man wins. Fairest way to do it.

See I was going to say "rexerection" but good either way!

I've been saying Rex has as much of a shot to be our starter come week one as Campbell does all along.

Rex Grossman isn't some name to push and scare Campbell like a proven vet would be. Rex is here to be given a chance to win the starting job because he knows the system and well he and Campbell are both about par as far as being an NFL QB goes anyway.

A Jason Campell interview in August 2008. Nearly two years later, and what we learned from jason last year is his number one issues were getting the play called and avoiding delays of game. I don't think he has enough time to process this information, since he obviously didn't comprehend all of these things last year:

What are some of the first things you think, what you recognize and try to adjust for, when you line up under center and you're looking at the opposing team's defense?

Jason Campbell

Quote:

i think the problem for campbell was making big plays vs the blitz. he had a decent completion percentage against the blitz- i think it was top 10, but diidnt make teams pay with big plays.

i wonder based on what we've heard lately how much of that was zorn teaching and how much was campbells choice. maybe a bit of both.

When the Skins brought in Grossman onboard ... my first reaction was not positive at all. I very much felt that Campbell needed to win his starter's role rather than being annointed by default. I felt Grossman wouldn't contribute much to the level of competition at QB, and consequently 2010 could turn out to be another "annointing."

However, after cooling down (and doing a little research with my friends who follow NFL/NCAA football carefully) I think I now understand the potential upside of giving Grossman a chance with the Skins. Here's why:

1. In the past, Grossman has shown on occasion he's got decent enough mechanics for some accurate downfield passing and for medium-long strikes quickly delivered. And those rare times when he was 'on' ... he's shown he can be an effective QB. He's got some talent.

2. But one of Grossman's biggest flaws seem to be in focussing on the game-plan and preparing for the game. Rex seemed to think he can play like Brett Favre -- and in free-wheeling it, his arm could always bail out him out and 'save' the day. But as we know, that's not a great recipe for reliable success -- and when things started going sour for Rex's supporting cast in Chicago -- everything snowballed and Grossman's unreliable preparation made him look even worse.

3. Moreover there's an old NCAA rumor out there on the Gator Grossman --- that he didn't like to study/prepare hard, preferring to party. If so, it's likely he may have taken those poor habits with him to Chicago along with his 1st-round pick 'golden-QB' mindset.

...But now that 'glitter' is all gone, and even Rex is realizing he's coming close to being edged out of the NFL. So maybe, a little maturity/new urgency could be starting to set in?

4. And if that's the case, then Houston was probably the best thing to help foster a new attitude in Grossman's mindset and perhaps a more disciplined approach. I can't help but feel the new venue had to be good for Grossman. Rex got a fresh start away from the alienated Chicago fans, and a chance to dial down the pressure. Also Rex could benefit from a new (and quality) coaching staff in Houston and learn a more disciplined approach from the example of solid professional NFL QB like Schaub.

...So, maybe Kyle Shanahan might have insight about a different version of Grossman than we all recall?

Bottom Line: Grossman knows this is getting close the end of the line for him, especially if he doesn't produce for Washington. And Rex does have system experience, he's low-mileage, and possesses many of the desired physical intangibles of a bona-fide NFL QB.

So, maybe Grossman will bring more to the 2010 Skins training camp than we're all expecting. Maybe the Shanahans can keep him on track. Maybe the QB coach can click with him and make him a better QB than in Chicago. One thing for sure, our receiving corps (Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell, Davis, Cooley, etc.) is an upgrade from what he had in Chicago. ...So, I'm going to be patient, and even looking forward to see what the 2010 version of Rex Grossman will be like. ...Time will tell.;)

Great post. I think you nailed it on the head. I think your understating how accurate the guy is down the field/medium range. He has great touch, and can make any one of those throws with ease. His problem is checking down to the 5 yard pass. Although he seemed to do more of that late in 07.

In reference to Rex's maturity, i have no doubts he was a party boy at Florida. But in Chicago, he was widely regarded as extremely hard working by his teammates. He was also well respected in the locker room. Urlacher and Charles Tillman 2 of his biggest supporters on the team.. I know he had a house right by the Bears facility as well. I hope to see him have great success this year if given the chance.

Over the last few years JC has really struggled with throwing that 5 yard checkdown pass as you have stated. Do not know why it is so difficult for him. I have also noticed that when he throws a short pass in the middle of the field he really zings it hard with no real touch at all. He seems to have difficulty throwing short to either the left side or the right side of the field. His inability to be successful throwing short has hurt our overall third down conversion stats too each year. Hope Shanny junior will work with JC now or maybe it just can't be fixed at this point in JC's career.

The above is what a halfway decent QB should be doing at High Shool level. By the time you get to be an experienced NFL starter it should be almost instinctive. Sure defenses are more complex and coverages disguised in the NFL but recognising defenses, coverages and blitzes is pretty much QB 101. It's why they do all that film work.

I support Campbell and think he can play in the NFL but quotes like that don't sit well. Maybe he was just giving an over simplistic answer to a question he must have been asked lots before but it does support what many say - he seems to struggle processing information under centre sometimes.

You say it should be instinctive to check for these things you still have to do them every play .

It's absolutely amazing some of you think Rex Grossman can be the starter of this football team. Grossman's lone game in action last year vs. Jax:

3 comp 9 Att 1 INT 1 FUM

Not to mention the long history of why the Bears let go of their first round draft pick in the first place.

You say it should be instinctive to check for these things you still have to do them every play .

Right. But my point is it something you do automatically, almost subconciously.

You hear QBs and coaches talking about the game 'slowing down' as QBs get more experienced and comfortable with the offense. A big part of that is the point when you are able to react to what you see and what happens rather than having to actually think about it.

<P>

It's absolutely amazing some of you think Rex Grossman can be the starter of this football team. Grossman's lone game in action last year vs. Jax:</P>

<P> </P>

<P>3 comp 9 Att 1 INT 1 FUM</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Not to mention the long history of why the Bears let go of their first round draft pick in the first place.

</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Your judging a guy by coming in for 1 quarter in the middle of a game versus a tough Jaguars defense? Lol. Way to keep an open mind. </P>

<P> </P>

<P></P>

Your judging a guy by coming in for 1 quarter in the middle of a game versus a tough Jaguars defense? Lol. Way to keep an open mind.

You must have intentionally skipped over the part about me saying the Bears gave up on their first round draft choice for a reason. How many first round QBs go on to have success on other teams. Let's not act like Rex Freakin' Grossman is an unknown here.

You must have intentionally skipped over the part about me saying the Bears gave up on their first round draft choice for a reason. How many first round QBs go on to have success on other teams. Let's not act like Rex Freakin' Grossman is an unknown here.

Doug Williams, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young, Drew Brees(high second) and several others.

Doug Williams, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young, Drew Brees(high second) and several others.

Doug Williams had multiple playoff appearances in Tampa, he was proven. Steve Young was a beast in the USFL, so he was not the typical "rookie" first rounder. Drew Brees was a 2nd but I'll play along, AGAIN proven in San Diego. Grossman in Chicago was a joke like Harrington, Couch, Ware, Klinger, Carr, etc.

I thought it was obvious I meant FIRST ROUND QB BUSTS. Are you really trying to tell me you think Rex Grossman will lead this team or any team to the playoffs before his career ends? Eagerly awaiting your response.

Doug Williams had multiple playoff appearances in Tampa, he was proven. Steve Young was a beast in the USFL, so he was not the typical "rookie" first rounder. Drew Brees was a 2nd but I'll play along, AGAIN proven in San Diego. Grossman in Chicago was a joke like Harrington, Couch, Ware, Klinger, Carr, etc.

Grossman had several great games the year they won the SB, and he GOT to the SB and again, I think he had the second most 100+ QB rating games or maybe it was 300 yard games or something next to Peyton Manning. Forgive me for not knowing exactly but it was an impressive number, I do know that.

So, that right there moves him into an entirely different category, just that individual statistical performance that year.

You also failed to account for the fact that their offensive rankings and production was vastly superior in that SB year with Rex Grossman as compared to the previous year with a young Orton.

I don't think your argument is solid. It would only be solid if Grossman were a spectacular bust a la Klingler or Ware NOT someone who showed flashes and was QB with some great (and a handful of awful) performances on a SB team. Those that compare him that year to Dilfer don't know what they're talking about.

BTW, Brees was pick 32, so he would be a first rounder today. So, yeah "second" but in recent years, 32 is a first rounder.

Of course, none of this is to say Rex is DA TROOF, only that your argument is poorly constructed and reasoned out. You set up bad standards by which to judge QB busts, then 'won' the argument by putting him in the wrong category. Grossman does NOT compare to Couch or the other men you named.

I don't remember off the top but was Plunkett proven in New England before going to Oak/LA?

I thought it was obvious I meant FIRST ROUND QB BUSTS. Are you really trying to tell me you think Rex Grossman will lead this team or any team to the playoffs before his career ends? Eagerly awaiting your response.

Your compairing Grossman to COLLOSAL busts. Rex has actually accomplished something in the NFL. He led the NFL in most QBR games in 2006. Thats nothing? Are you forgetting who he was on? The bears...Since when have they ever properly developed a qb? Look at Jay Cutler and what happened to him with that horrendous coaching staff and scheme.

I am not saying Rex is good, or great. But give the guy a chance. Obviously your new OC saw something in Rex, in fact, he raved about the improvements Rex made last year watching Schaub play, etc.

No one is saying Rex Grossmen is the next NFL MVP, but he is more than capable of winning the starting job and has the advantage over Campbell if only for the fact that he's Kyle's guy and they have working experience the past year. Well that and the fact he IS a Superbowl QB who was very under rated that season. He had a great year which shows his potential. Now imagine how capable he can be under the Shannahan's with them teaching him and calling the plays.

He's definately the guy worth starting and the guy who gives us the best chance for a season while our rookie develops behind the scenes.

A predicting man would bet Grossmen would start this year. That's all we're saying.

Archived