Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grossman May Have Been Brought In for More Than Just Backup Duty (Sirius Radio)

kingdaddy

Is Obama the anti-christ  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is Obama the anti-christ

• Heck no, he's the messiah
    • Heck no
    • Hell yes,
    • Hell uncertain... he might be more evidence needed

No one is saying Rex Grossmen is the next NFL MVP, but he is more than capable of winning the starting job and has the advantage over Campbell if only for the fact that he's Kyle's guy and they have working experience the past year. Well that and the fact he IS a Superbowl QB who was very under rated that season. He had a great year which shows his potential. Now imagine how capable he can be under the Shannahan's with them teaching him and calling the plays.

He's definately the guy worth starting and the guy who gives us the best chance for a season while our rookie develops behind the scenes.

A predicting man would bet Grossmen would start this year. That's all we're saying.

So what will you say if Campbell wins the job despite all Grossman's 'advantages'?

There is no chance of that happening.

I was wondering why you had such a stiffy for Rex Grossman and as seen in the other thread it's just strictly your hate for Campbell. LOL. Now it all makes sense. Grossman will be holding a clipboard all year long. Sorry dude, maybe buy a Grossman fathead to ease your pain.

I was wondering why you had such a stiffy for Rex Grossman and as seen in the other thread it's just strictly your hate for Campbell. LOL. Now it all makes sense. Grossman will be holding a clipboard all year long. Sorry dude, maybe buy a Grossman fathead to ease your pain.

I'm not so sure of that. If we draft a QB in the first or second round, I can see Campbell being dealt immediately before the next round. And in that case, Grossman would start the season. Or Colt, I guess. But my point is, idk what it is, but I really just can't see Campbell on this roster opening week.

Edit: And its not because I hate him. I think we'd do fine with him under center for another year while the Rookie learned. I'm just personally done with "fine".

I'm not so sure of that. If we draft a QB in the first or second round, I can see Campbell being dealt immediately before the next round. And in that case, Grossman would start the season. Or Colt, I guess. But my point is, idk what it is, but I really just can't see Campbell on this roster opening week.

Edit: And its not because I hate him. I think we'd do fine with him under center for another year while the Rookie learned. I'm just personally done with "fine".

I'm in total agreement, except with your edit. :) I just cannot fathom Mike Shanahan starting his career with the Skins with Jason Campbell as his starting quarterback. I just can't see that happening.

I'm in total agreement, except with your edit. :) I just cannot fathom Mike Shanahan starting his career with the Skins with Jason Campbell as his starting quarterback. I just can't see that happening.

Totally agreed. The edit was just to avoid the screams of "Campbell hater!!" that meet even logical criticism of JC. I don't see it happening either. But its possible, if a draft day trade can't be done.

Grossman had several great games the year they won the SB, and he GOT to the SB and again, I think he had the second most 100+ QB rating games or maybe it was 300 yard games or something next to Peyton Manning. Forgive me for not knowing exactly but it was an impressive number, I do know that.

So, that right there moves him into an entirely different category, just that individual statistical performance that year.

You also failed to account for the fact that their offensive rankings and production was vastly superior in that SB year with Rex Grossman as compared to the previous year with a young Orton.

I don't think your argument is solid. It would only be solid if Grossman were a spectacular bust a la Klingler or Ware NOT someone who showed flashes and was QB with some great (and a handful of awful) performances on a SB team. Those that compare him that year to Dilfer don't know what they're talking about.

BTW, Brees was pick 32, so he would be a first rounder today. So, yeah "second" but in recent years, 32 is a first rounder.

Of course, none of this is to say Rex is DA TROOF, only that your argument is poorly constructed and reasoned out. You set up bad standards by which to judge QB busts, then 'won' the argument by putting him in the wrong category. Grossman does NOT compare to Couch or the other men you named.

I don't remember off the top but was Plunkett proven in New England before going to Oak/LA?

If you want to hang your hat on "most 100+ QB rating game" stats which happened way back in 2006 when he had the best defense and special teams in football then suit yourself. Alot of QBs couldn't mess up that field position. That same year he threw more than 3 or more picks in FIVE GAMES, at least 2 picks in FIVE MORE GAMES, and he had a sub 50 QB rating in 5 games. He had one 300 yd game and seven under 200. This whole back and forth over this guy is such a waste of time. He's terrible, that is all.

Miller was just on Sirius NFL radio again today (3-31) and was praising the ability of Rex Grossman. He obviously feels that Grossman can help the Skins. Miller went on to say that Grossman will have the advantage in camp against JC because of his knowledge of the system that K. Shanahan runs. Miller also believes that Shanahan will make both Grossman and Campbell better QB's because he will force them to be more aggressive with the football.

He went on to compare Grossman coming to DC to Jake Plummer going from Arizona to Denver and significantly raising his QB rating......thinks the same will happen for Rex.

It was good to hear someone really analyzing the Skins QB situation and speaking in terms of positive things regarding Shanahan's ability to make the QB better.

With everything I'm hearing, the Shanahan effect is going to make dramatic improvements on the Skins offense.

Demarc

Nothing you said changes the fact that you failed to distinguish between a Grossman, SB appearance, some good statistical outings and statistical differences in team offensive rankings and massive busts like Klingler.

Earlier you accused SOCALSKins of only hyping Grossman because of his Campbell hate. I actually think that's true but it's no different than all the Campbell apologists hopping into every QB thread that DOES NOT involve JC and still subtly injecting their pessimism about other guys not named Campbell.

So what will you say if Campbell wins the job despite all Grossman's 'advantages'?

I would cheer Jason on because if that actually WERE to happen (which it won't) it means that Shannahan see's something in Campbell to which he feels he is and can improve. But looking at all the chances Campbell has gotten, I don't see that happening. I was a defender of Jason last year but he failed us with his inability to read defenses and get the ball out at a reasonable time. Instead he's usually taking a step forward, unsure if he should throw, then running around sideways like a chicken that just lost its head. (After holding the ball for about 7-10 seconds. In football time that's an eternity.)

I thought Jason needed more time and could be somebody, but that was just my homer goggles influencing me because he's shown that this is all he has. And there comes a point when you just have to stop making excuses for a guy if you ever want to truely be successful.

Or

An even more radical approach i would address non-QB problems this year OL+RB and try build a more ready to contend team then what we have know and to aquire a QB next year (McNabb).

The rental of a QB like McNabb gives a 2-4? year window where the team should be playoff competitive and afford time to groom a QB in the later rounds without the risk of drafting them in the 1st round. Most QB gurus draft 1 QB every draft anyway.

I'm not convinced that the Shanahan's are planning to draft a QB with 1/2 round pick.

I know that's the common perception, but it was also assumed that we were going after Peppers and that we would be throwing money around like crazy during the free agency.

Okay i was off by a year.

• 8 months later...
Jim Miller, former Bears QB and talk show host for Sirius NFL Radio, said some interesting things about the Skins QB situation around 12:20 today. He stated that the Shanahan's like Rex Grossman a lot and think he learned a lot watching Matt Schaub and playing for Gary Kubiak in Houston. Miller said that Skins camp will bring a heated competition between JC and Grossman and that Grossman is a "slinger".

I only post this because I never really considered Rex Grossman as a candidate to start in DC. Maybe we all better start re-thinking why RG was signed?

For what it's worth, we do need to remember that RG was the QB when the Bears went to the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Also, the more I read into this signing, you'd have to think the Shanahan's told him he'd get a fair shot to be the starter since no endorsement has been made for JC, or any other QB we have. Grossman may even have a leg up on the other QB's because he's been in this new system longer than the others.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Miller was just on Sirius NFL radio again today (3-31) and was praising the ability of Rex Grossman. He obviously feels that Grossman can help the Skins. Miller went on to say that Grossman will have the advantage in camp against JC because of his knowledge of the system that K. Shanahan runs. Miller also believes that Shanahan will make both Grossman and Campbell better QB's because he will force them to be more aggressive with the football.

He went on to compare Grossman coming to DC to Jake Plummer going from Arizona to Denver and significantly raising his QB rating......thinks the same will happen for Rex.

It was good to hear someone really analyzing the Skins QB situation and speaking in terms of positive things regarding Shanahan's ability to make the QB better.

With everything I'm hearing, the Shanahan effect is going to make dramatic improvements on the Skins offense.

Very interesting in retrospect.

Very interesting in retrospect.

I forgot I started this thread and posted the follow up post. However, I do remember the thoughts Jim Miller was expressing and, after seeing Grossman on Sunday, I think he is on to something. Call me crazy, but I can't help but compare Grossman's career thus far to that of Rich Gannon's; career journeyman who finally finds himself in a system that fits him perfectly. Rex is not old, has had time to watch and learn, and has been to a Super Bowl. To go into Dallas and throw 4 td passes, two 2 point conversions, have a 5th td dropped, in his first start in who knows how many seasons is very impressive. He clearly understands and grasps this offense. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you but you can't see it.

Could that be the case with Rex Grossman?

I forgot I started this thread and posted the follow up post. However, I do remember the thoughts Jim Miller was expressing and, after seeing Grossman on Sunday, I think he is on to something. Call me crazy, but I can't help but compare Grossman's career thus far to that of Rich Gannon's; career journeyman who finally finds himself in a system that fits him perfectly. Rex is not old, has had time to watch and learn, and has been to a Super Bowl. To go into Dallas and throw 4 td passes, two 2 point conversions, have a 5th td dropped, in his first start in who knows how many seasons is very impressive. He clearly understands and grasps this offense. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you but you can't see it.

I give you credit, but lets not get ahead of ourselves the Dallas defense is terrible, they've given up the second most points in the league.

But, Rex did play well which balanced out his 3 turnovers.

What i find interesting about your post is that maybe they've wanted to get Grossman on the field all along and have been chomping at the bit to do it?

And in their eagerness to get Grossman on the field thet never truely were behind McNabb?

(especially if some of the reports coming out about the McNabb trade being the handy work of Dan Synder?)

Whether he is or not, I would much, much rather see us use our picks on positions other than quarterback, or even trade down and keep Grossman as our QB next year. We will have many growing pains and I still think he's going to be turnover-prone (and DO NOT forget he is also very injury-prone), but we have so many other needs and I think Grossman can be successful on this team, with these coaches if he has a good line and a good defense to back him up. I vote we build the team up as much as we can until "that guy" comes along.

I realize when a Peyton Manning or a Sam Bradford is available you do everything you can to get them and they can help turn a team around on their own, but if that guy is not there, you don't trade up or take him over other needs if he is not THE guy. I don't think Mallette or Luck is and I sure as hell don't think Newton is.

If you want to hang your hat on "most 100+ QB rating game" stats which happened way back in 2006 when he had the best defense and special teams in football then suit yourself. Alot of QBs couldn't mess up that field position. That same year he threw more than 3 or more picks in FIVE GAMES, at least 2 picks in FIVE MORE GAMES, and he had a sub 50 QB rating in 5 games. He had one 300 yd game and seven under 200. This whole back and forth over this guy is such a waste of time. He's terrible, that is all.

The bolded line is 100% false. In 2006 Rex did have 5 games with three or more picks, however outside of these games he had 4 INTs throughout the season, HE DID NOT HAVE 10 games with at least 2 INT's which is what you are saying.

I give you credit, but lets not get ahead of ourselves the Dallas defense is terrible, they've given up the second most points in the league.

Keep in mind, Shanny doesn't give a crap what someone has or hasn't done in the past. He only cares about what he believes he can get the player to do in the future. I'd say Shanny is watching Rex closely to determine whether he thinks he can get him to perform the way he got Plummer to perform.

It would be a masterful coaching job if Shanny can turn Rex into a productive starting QB in this league. And I wouldn't be stunned if it happened.

Keep in mind, Shanny doesn't give a crap what someone has or hasn't done in the past. He only cares about what he believes he can get the player to do in the future. I'd say Shanny is watching Rex closely to determine whether he thinks he can get him to perform the way he got Plummer to perform.

It would be a masterful coaching job if Shanny can turn Rex into a productive starting QB in this league. And I wouldn't be stunned if it happened.

The problem is that we won't really know unless we can provide an interior O line that can keep pressure out of his face.

Then, you won't know if INTs are due to not having enough time or because he just sucks.

Whether he is or not, I would much, much rather see us use our picks on positions other than quarterback, or even trade down and keep Grossman as our QB next year. We will have many growing pains and I still think he's going to be turnover-prone (and DO NOT forget he is also very injury-prone), but we have so many other needs and I think Grossman can be successful on this team, with these coaches if he has a good line and a good defense to back him up. I vote we build the team up as much as we can until "that guy" comes along.

I realize when a Peyton Manning or a Sam Bradford is available you do everything you can to get them and they can help turn a team around on their own, but if that guy is not there, you don't trade up or take him over other needs if he is not THE guy. I don't think Mallette or Luck is and I sure as hell don't think Newton is.

I agree with you. Lets continue to build the offensive line and get playmakers. What we've learned from other successful organizations is that, once you build and establish a system (N.E., Pitt, Indy, Philly) it's easier to plug players in and not suffer a big drop off in play.

Archived