Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA vs. Canada Gold Medal Hype Thread (Game CHAT)

Ghost of

Congrats to Canada. I wish I would have been able to watch this game. Heck, I wish I could have watched

these Olympics. I'm pretty proud of both our countries. North America rules! :D

Lol.

No cable?

Matthew Stafford is gonna learn to play hockey and dominate the 2014 Olympics. USA wins gold. In fact, USA will cruise so easily through the tournament with Stafford as their leader that the team will be given platinum medals instead.

Come on now, we'll win in every event as long as Matthew Stafford is donning red,white, blue. Why stop at hockey?

LOL @ the comment that canada wasnt canada or that canadian militiamen werent canadian, I suppose that means George washington was a traitor and the founding fathers a bunch of english tax evaders? anyway enough about 1812.

I'd seriously let this all go if it weren't for the continued insistence that we don't know our history. Make a statement like that and you'd better get it right yourself. I didn't say the locals weren't Canadian. I said Canada wasn't a country. You referred to it as a country. That was incorrect.

The French and Indian war wasn't fought between the United States and France. It was between the British and the French. The War of 1812 wasn't fought between Canada and the US. It was between the British and the Americans.

As far as George Washington goes, of course he was a traitor to the British crown. Remember Ben Franklin's famous line 'We must all hang together or, most assuredly, hang separately.' That's because all the founding fathers were considered traitors. I know in Canada, where in 2010 the Olympics are STILL opened by the viceregal representative in the federal jurisdiction of the Canadian monarch and head of state, Queen Elizabeth II, that's considered a terrible thing. In the US it's a badge of honor. Maybe that's why we were a country in 1812 and Canada patiently waited until 1931 ... or 1982 ... or ... well maybe the expert on non-Amerocentric history can tell me.

So yes, enough about 1812. It should have never been brought up in the first place.

Congratulations to the Canadian team. I would have liked to see the Americans win it but I can't say the Canadians didn't deserve it. I have to admit though that I wish it was anyone but Crosby that scored the winning goal. Now we'll never hear the end of it about that guy. :)

It can't get here fast enough. This has been the coldest winter down here I've ever seen.

Really complaining about winter down in Florida? Now I've seen it all. We had a week of temperatures struggling to reach 20 F including a balmy 9 degree low a couple nights with wind chills below zero. You've got it made in the shade.

Many of us were happy for Canada's good fortune. The discouraging thing to see how Canadians revel in Amercian loses.

Dude, that's simply not true, you keep going back to this regardless of how many times people tell you differently. All of my family is from Canada except my immediate family, and I have never heard them say a single bad thing about the US.

One thing sure came from this Olympics. I know who to root for when Canada plays anyone in anything.

Because of a little hockey smack talk?

Care to elaborate? I'd be interested to learn about it.

Absolutely, the French have no regard for the English and they think they run Canada. When I was a kid we use to visit Moncton and Shediac a couple of times a year. You could walk into the grocery store and more than half of the time, the person checking you out would speak French first. My mother taught me to say "ferme la vouche, parle vou Englais" which translates to "shut your mouth and speak English". English is the first language of Canada, yet the French ignore that English is the first language and expect for the English to speak French, and they do.

Oh yeah and then you have Quebec trying to become it's own country as mentioned below.

ha, to whoever said that canada is run by the french, well you are a ignorant fool. The french have been trying to seperate for years.

Hmm, hit a button, didn't I?

If the French don't run Canada how is it possible that the Quebec(French) almost became its own country by less than 1 percent of the vote? If the French didn't run the Canada, this would never be a option.

Its only a matter of time before the Maritime providences get choked off from the West, by the French, like it or not. As someone who has family every where in Canada except I dread the day this happens. As much as they say all commerce will be duty free, you know they will at some point take advantage of the west shipping to the east.

From the other forum

NBC earned a 17.6 overnight Nielsen rating for Sunday's Canada-U.S. Gold Medal men's hockey game.

Sunday's game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 AND every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four game since at least '98. And every Saved by the bell

The true winner last night was the NHL.

I have this on one of my skis. I thought Canada was one of the coolest places on earth and I sported that flag with pride. I have been to Whistler/Blackcomb several times and loved it. If you guys were to put an American Flag on your car, how long would it take before someone egged your car? I honestly didn't see the animosity you feel for us. Your nice to our face, but when we walk away you and your French buddies talk **** about us. I honestly didn't see any of that until recently with all the media. Really has changed my mind about you guys. Sorry we're such an inconvenience to Canada.

Woah, that's crazy. Can you provide the link?

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/1/1331512/usa-vs-canada-gold-medal-game-ratings

The Canada/USA Olympic Men's Hockey Gold Medal game drew a 17.6 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon, up 46% from the '02 Gold Medal game, which featured the same two teams.

Overnight ratings for the 2006 Gold Medal game were unavailable.

Sunday's game is on pace to finish as the highest rated hockey telecast in the United States since 1980.

To put the numbers in perspective, Sunday's game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 (including every game of Yankees/Phillies last year), every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four game since at least '98.

Excluding the NFL, the 17.6 overnight for the game is the second-highest of the year for any sporting event, behind only the Texas/Alabama BCS National Championship Game in January (18.2).

The only sport that will probably come close to touching this mark is the NASCAR races, other than that the MLB and NBA finals won't even come close :ols:

Captain Rich is delirious. There is zero animosity btwn CAN and USA (except on the hockey rink!) Just because we are intense rivals on the playing field doesn't mean we hate USA. In fact, the America is a great rival BECAUSE we are close neighbours and great friends. Everybody wants to beat their buddies more than complete strangers. Its just the way it is. When the Skins beat the Cowboys, you call your Cowboy fan buddies and talk trash. You don't call complete strangers in Dallas.

The only sport that will probably come close to touching this mark is the NASCAR races, other than that the MLB and NBA finals won't even come close :ols:

The World Series and NBA Finals will probably have better ratings than NASCAR this year.

To put the numbers in perspective, the 2010 Daytona 500 ranks behind the 2009 NBA Finals on ABC (8.4, 14.3 mil), the 2009 World Series on FOX (11.7, 19.3 mil), the 2009 NCAA Final Four on CBS (9.1, 14.9 mil), the final round of The Masters on CBS (8.3, 14.3 mil), and the race portion of the Kentucky Derby on NBC (9.8, 16.3 mil), among others.

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/daytona-500-draws-lowest-rating-since.html

All those sports are doing better than hockey though. Hopefully the NHL gets a little bump from this. Even the Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals only got a rating of 4.3.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=425776

What's crazy is how the NFL completely blows everyone out of the water. The Vikings/Saints NFC Championship game had double the ratings of the Canada-USA Hockey game.

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2010/01/nearly-60-million-for-vikingssaints.html

I posted a video of an entire arena full of Canadians chanting "USA" and he still thinks his car would get egged for having an American flag on it.

You can't change people's opinions sometimes. Its true, Americans would never get harrassed in Canada. Canada is so humble, we are almost surprised to see americans visiting our country. It's like "why did you come here? You should have gone to Hawaii, its warm there!" :ols:

I've visited Canada before, more recently Montreal and I've been to Toronto as well. I've never received any ill will treatment from any Canadian when I visited. I think the rival is more on the rink than within the people. I've bumped into some rude French-Canadians in Montreal, but overall the people there are nice.

Thanks.

I think the sport which this message board represents is doing all right. :silly:

Nascar? Come on. I wasn't at all surprisd that the World Series was beaten. After, all each game is like a 7 hours; this is America, the quicker, the better. Off topic, but: it makes me hope that someday something could force the NFL to stop with all the freaking commercials.

NBA seems to be losing popularity lately.

You can't change people's opinions sometimes. Its true, Americans would never get harrassed in Canada. Canada is so humble, we are almost surprised to see americans visiting our country. It's like "why did you come here? You should have gone to Hawaii, its warm there!" :ols:

I grew up in Alaska. I loved both the perpetual and competitive jousting with my border-brothers and the overall camaraderie. My paternal grandfather's family founded a town north of Edmonton back in the late 1800's. Living in WA state, I love visiting BC. The people are always great (especially the ladies :D) and it's beautiful country. Never been east though. Anway, I've been reading but haven't posted here, so congrats to the Canadians and to our guys. Despite spirited exchanges and meaningful differences, I can't see these two nations (and their people) ever being anything but the closet of allies with a great deal of shared heritage and culture.

Archived