Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA vs. Canada Gold Medal Hype Thread (Game CHAT)

Ghost of

Absolutely, the French have no regard for the English and they think they run Canada. When I was a kid we use to visit Moncton and Shediac a couple of times a year. You could walk into the grocery store and more than half of the time, the person checking you out would speak French first. My mother taught me to say "ferme la vouche, parle vou Englais" which translates to "shut your mouth and speak English". English is the first language of Canada, yet the French ignore that English is the first language and expect for the English to speak French, and they do.

French and English are the official languages of New Brunswick. All you have to do is speak in English because it is required by law to be served in your native tongue (be it French or English). Was it different when you visited as a child?

The people in this thread talking about Americans and Canadians hating each other is comical. I have never been treated

Badly any time I've visited that country. I'm a proud American, but I'd honestly say we have a way worse attitude toward Canadians, lol.

To me, its like a sibling rivalry between our countries. But when it comes down to it, we are going to support one another.

OK DH and Ryman, I have been doing alot of reading since the other night. I have found that alot of Canadian anti-Americanism comes from Canadians who have never even been here.

Canadians who have been here and go to college here see a different people. They call us arrogant and self absorbed. We do take certain things for granted that most people would cherish. What they see as self absorbed might just be oblivious to the outside world. Which is direct relation to taking things for granted.

There are many blaring differences between us. We hold our flag high and are proud of them. You guys are a little more resevered. but your catching up.

Some Canadians think Americans look down on you. Most Americans really are not concerned with Canada. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's awsome to not have to worry about your neighbor. Most see it as a stable, relaxed, quiet country. With all the **** we have to go through it seems like a perfect neighbor. You guys don't go out and start fights, and that is just what we need. Alot of Canadians seem to be worried to death about what America is doing. I've seen this on hundreds of blogs. And it comes from bad media. Look, Kidd Rock and Matt ****ing Damon do NOT give us a good representation. In fact most Americans are completely ashamed of some of our celebs. Please don't judge us by watching a Madonna video.

About the French thing you got going on up there. We got the same thing down here. They are called bigots. Thedy hate everybody. They hate their own people. You'll never win that battle. Neither will they though. If they want to be French, let em move their *** on back over there.

So I may owe you an apology. If it's one thing we Americans can do, I think, is to put bad blood behind us and have a cold Molson with ya. So come on down and we'll grab a bite at a Waffle House before we go watch an NHL hockey game.;)

Oh yeah.:gr8:Next time it's OURS.:pfft:

OK DH and Ryman, I have been doing alot of reading since the other night. I have found that alot of Canadian anti-Americanism comes from Canadians who have never even been here.

Canadians who have been here and go to college here see a different people. They call us arrogant and self absorbed. We do take certain things for granted that most people would cherish. What they see as self absorbed might just be oblivious to the outside world. Which is direct relation to taking things for granted.

There are many blaring differences between us. We hold our flag high and are proud of them. You guys are a little more resevered. but your catching up.

Some Canadians think Americans look down on you. Most Americans really are not concerned with Canada. I don't mean that in a bad way. [/Quote]

Ooooshie boo! Group hug!

BTW, CRF, lots of people in other countries don't like us, much because of the ideas they get from media sources. Then they meet us individually and find out we are not the jerks we r portrayed to be when we dazzle them with r wit and charm :D

Natasha? Homely? :wtf:

Yup stereotypical ugly duckling, big teeth, tall scrawny and gawky. She was a really nice girl though and had a good sense of humour. I am just glad that I was always nice to her lol, Its funny because my ex started modelling at the same agency that discovered Natasha and a few other famous canadian hotties. Anyway, Her Family is from newfoundland but she went to Junior high in Fort Mcmurray in Northern Alberta,Canada is weird that way people go across the country to work. It was cool to see her do well, now I wonder what the really hot girls from my junior high ended up doing, lol

French and English are the official languages of New Brunswick. All you have to do is speak in English because it is required by law to be served in your native tongue (be it French or English). Was it different when you visited as a child?

I know the laws were changed/adjusted in the 80's to what you said. But in English Canada(everywhere except Quebec) the English speaking Canadians still expect the French to speak English.

Even though my Mom can speak French, the majority of English speaking Canadians couldn't speak French and the French would expect for them to speak French, even when English was considered the first language.

IMO its(was) the same as walking into a store in the the United States and having someone only speak Spanish to you.

I guess the thing about not liking Crosby so much comes from everyone thinking he's the second coming of Gretzky. No one will touch WG's records. He played in an era where there were no butterfly style goaltenders. Hell, he could shoot at their legs all day. He played in an era where it was a no-no to even breathe on the superstar or you'd have Marty McSorely or whatever goon to take you out.

Sid is a good player. Hell, he's a great player, I have to give him that. But I look at him more like a Steve Yzerman comparison then Gretzky. Plus, add the Bettman/Save the Penguins draft picks, the fact that Crosby came in to the league thinking he should get all the calls (whining/complaining) and the fact that despite being drafted a year later, he wins a cup already, you have a guy that fans love to hate. The proverbial golden child handed the golden spoon already.

I like what someone else added in that the Pens were out of the playoffs after 59 games. It was their GM making the coaching change and adding the players that lifted them over the top. Not Sidney.

I don't get the Crosby hate. Does he whine? Sure. But he certainly isn't the first. He's amazing to watch, and I always marvel at his abilities. He's good hockey.
He's a Penguin.

Mainly this. Plus the inferiority complex that we have as Caps fans. We want Ovie to be called the best, because he is. The thing that put most of us over the top happened early in their careers where people nonchalantly misremembered the Calder voting.

If you listened to the pundits and probably asked any of them to this day, they always say that Ovie edged out Crosby for the Rookie of the year. Ovechkin had somewhere around 90 percent of the vote and over 200 more 1st place votes than Crosby, it was never particuarly close.

That and the continued overpromotion of Crosby coupled with the underutilization of Ovechkin as a marketing tool. The league seems to have no interest in promoting Ovechkin on his own. It's Crosby vs. Ovechkin or it's Crosby by himself. Rarely do the Capitals get a national game that's not against Pittsburgh. It makes you feel like the Capitals will never get a fair shake in the big scheme of things. The incredibly lopsided powerplay opportunities in last year's playoff series didn't exactly cool those feelings.

The Penguins are basically the Cowboys, except the NHL fixed the draft to get them a great player, and they win as a result of that.

Do we know for sure that the draft was fixed?

If it was, why wasn't it fixed to give them Ovi?

Ovechkin was the year before.

Seriously though, read up on the 2005 draft. I don't think you'll quite get the entire picture from what you find, but the way that they arbitrarily decided how many ping pong balls each team got is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. in a draft with players of that caliber, to come up with a relatively unfair system like that, out of the blue, it was awful.

Ovechkin was the year before.

Seriously though, read up on the 2005 draft. I don't think you'll quite get the entire picture from what you find, but the way that they arbitrarily decided how many ping pong balls each team got is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. in a draft with players of that caliber, to come up with a relatively unfair system like that, out of the blue, it was awful.

I meant how come they didn't rig the '04 draft. I know he was the year before :silly:

Archived