Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tomilson, Bush, McGahee, Merriman, Kampman......targets?(Merged)

Looking For Number Four

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors provides the basis for these arguments, however, infringement on their copyrights probably forbid me quoting word for word, so I've paraphrased (in italics).

Daryn Colledge

27, G, 6-4 308

Production:

16 starts both this and last season

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/408588/daryn-colledge

[/url] Seems that a lot of buzz is leaning toward GB using the 23rd pick to grab Buagala or Campbell, in hopes of upgrading the line that seemed to be missing a beat at times this season. This would likely lead to the release of Colledge who was hot and cold through the year.

He mad about 800K last season, if Packers give him 110% he becomes restricted, therefore, he is going to cost a draft pick, but perhaps only a third rounder....which we don't have at the moment.

Shawne Merriman

25, OLB, 6-4, 265

Production:

39.5 sacks 2005-2007 -- 8 Forced Fumbles

4 sacks 2008-2009 -- 0 Forced Fumbles

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8427

Merriman could be franchised, extended, or given the minimum but his drop off in production is leaving the option of releasing him as probable. GB may release Kampman due to his inability to switch to 3-4, making a nice fit for Merriman. Miami may also be in this scenario with the release of Joey Porter. NE has also had issues with Adaluis Thomas and could find themselves in the market for Merriman's pass rush ability.

Merriman made 4.5M in 2009, which means to receive compensation the Chargers would need to give him $5.1M, at which point they get 1st and 3rd should he leave. Could go either way, the price tag is not terrible. However, his 2009 season did not bode well for spending $5M and people are starting to think his surgery cost him a step. His is not a tackling monster (a la Fletcher) therefore not having his uncanny speed really does damage his overall value. His is young enough to believe is could come back, his production does not.

LaDainian Tomilson

30, RB, 5-10, 221

Production:

1236-1815 yards and 10-28 TDs per season from 2001-2007

1110 in 2008, 11 TD

730 in 2009, 12 TD

...the San Diego Union-Tribune stated Tomilson played his last game in SD following the final week of the season. The problem: SD owes Tomlinson a $2 million roster bonus that is due in March along with another $3 million in salary in order to retain his services. By letting him go they only owe $1 million to cancel his contract. Although emotional for everyone involved, his drop off makes the buyout quite likely.

12 TDs could certainly be beneficial from the RB position in Washington, it could also be valuable enough for SD to keep LT, not to mention his fans are quite numerous there. His press conference after the game yesterday appeared that the $1M buyout imminent. LT and CP together would leave the locker rooms bursting at the seams with ego, but could be quite dangerous as well. Certainly a luxury option that does not get us younger at the position. But hey, this is Washington, the sheer thought of beinging in a name like LT has to have Snyder salivating.

Willis McGhaee

28, RB, 6', 235

Production:

2004-2007

1128 (13 TD), 1247 (5), 990 (6), 1207 (7)

671 (7 TD) 3.9 per rush

544 (12 TD) 5.0 rush

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4481

With McGhaee due 3.6M in 2010 and 6M in 2011, the price does not justify a situational backup RB.

5.0 yards a rush and 12 TDs while only being 28 seems to indicate there is a few good years left. Ray Rice probably earned himself 300+ carries for next season which would make McGahhe more than expendable. If there is one aspect of the run game that truly plagued us last season, it was finishing a drive and punching it in. Not only did McGhaee did this routinely last year, but he also managed a career high yard per carry which might make a case for the perfect compliment to Portis, perhaps replacement (which I'm personally against, but I don't matter).

Reggie Bush

24, RB, 6-0, 203

Production:

Has never topped 600 yards in a season during his four seasons in NO. His expertise is undoubtedly pass catching. Reggie caught 161 balls in 2006 and 2007 combined, quite the feat. However, he was only caught 99 balls in 2008 and 2009 combined. It seems that P. Thomas and M. Bell provide a more realistic run game which eats clock, something NO needs with their persistent passing game not doing so. His pass catching skills certainly help Brees, but it is debatable is it helps enough to justify $8M.

$8M is a lot of money for a guy who seems to be still looking for his niche in the NFL. Although, last weeks performance against ARZ might make that debatable. If not picked up, Pete Carroll and SEA would likely make a hard run for his former Heisman winner.

Bush has an $8M option, no matter how many TDs he scores in the playoffs it is probably unlikely the Saints are going to spend that. He seems to love NO, they do him to a degree as well, so perhaps they work the contract to something more realistic. If not, he makes an immense amount of sense in Washington. We need a dynamic pass catching RB. We need a dynamic kick/punt returner. Speed backs, like Portis was in Denver, excel under Shanahan's blocking scheme. He is only 24.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would take any of these players, if Merriman is indeed healthy and Orakpo were to bliz opposite him in a all out rush, many QBs would be in serious trouble. McGhaee and LT have an uncanny ability to get the TD when in the red zone which Portis, Betts, Mason, nor Ganther seem to possess. That being said, certainly no long term contracts for any of the aforementioned players. College is unlikely to leave since his due is $1M, but would certainly be an upgrade for our rapidly disappearing o-line. I would have no problem giving R. Bush a long term contract, but I'm a USC fan and probably have more faith in his speed making him vicious under Shanahan's blocking schemes. I also desperately want a punt/kick returner that strikes fear in opposing fans with that ball is hanging in the air. He also seems to have figured out how to run with agression, he could easily add a little bulk and become an every down back.

In the one cut and go running game Shanahan runs Bush would be a monster. Plus we have other backs for other situations. If Bush gets cut he'd be a huge upgrade in the backfield and in the return game.

Bush has 17 Rushing TD's, 11 Receiving TD's, and 4 return TD's in 4 years. That's 32 TD's in 4 years combined.

Portis has 28 Rushing TD's, 1 Receiving TD, and plays no part in the return game. That's 29 TD's in the last 4 years.

Bush has 1,940 yards rushing and 1,934 Receiving yards. 3874 yards in 4 years. (no return yards included)

Portis has 3766 yards rushing and 834 Receiving yards. 4600 yards in 4 years.

Bush is not worth what he is getting paid now but to claim that he sucks because you don't understand that he's not your average running back is stupid.

I don't have a lot of interest in that group. Colledge could be good but I don't think GB will release him. He's cheap enough that they should tender him even if they plan on drafting a replacement.

Merriman is going to want a ton of money based off hype and not production. He may be successful here with Orakpo and Haynesworth drawing double teams but I don't think it would be worth the money. I would rather target Karlos Dansby who would be owed somewhere around 12 million should Arizona franchise him again.

Kampman, no thanks. We have DE's just as good in a 4-3 and he doesn't do well in the 3-4 if that is what we're moving towards.

LT, I love the guy but he's pretty done. If I were SD I'd keep him as a role player but he can't carry the load. If we want 4 < ypc and 1 yard touchdowns we've got Clinton. Same for McGahee. He's probably got a little more left but we already have a solid vet. If anything we should go young at this position. Youth > talent at RB.

Bush I could have some interest in but he would likely be expensive for what he would offer. If he has another strong performance or two in the playoffs I don't think he gets moved.

In the one cut and go running game Shanahan runs Bush would be a monster. Plus we have other backs for other situations. If Bush gets cut he'd be a huge upgrade in the backfield and in the return game.

Bush has 17 Rushing TD's, 11 Receiving TD's, and 4 return TD's in 4 years. That's 32 TD's in 4 years combined.

Portis has 28 Rushing TD's, 1 Receiving TD, and plays no part in the return game. That's 29 TD's in the last 4 years.

Bush has 1,940 yards rushing and 1,934 Receiving yards. 3874 yards in 4 years. (no return yards included)

Portis has 3766 yards rushing and 834 Receiving yards. 4600 yards in 4 years.

Bush is not worth what he is getting paid now but to claim that he sucks because you don't understand that he's not your average running back is stupid.

Thanks for actually getting the stats out. If fans/coaches want a workhorse pounding the ball on 4th and 1 then yes Bush "sucks." If they want production in the running, passing, and return game, and a matchup nightmare then he's pretty effective.

I doubt Colledge and Kampman will be hitting the FA just yet.

We don't have anyone to replace Colledge just yet (although I suppose T.J. Lang could fill that role, but I prefer having him available to backup and spell OT) and the line certainly did improve in the second half of the season.

With Kampman, while Brad Jones did step up nicely in his place, the jury is still out on if he's a long term solution. I imagine us holding on to Kampman for now and see what happens. Then again, we do have a lot of depth at the linebacker position.

I would rather target Karlos Dansby who would be owed somewhere around 12 million should Arizona franchise him again.

I really hope they get in the market early to get Dansby here. He's been quietly very productive for Arizona, and could really bolster the linebacker corps here - especially if we move to the 3-4.

Since becoming a full-time starter in 2007 he's averaged 113 tackles per season, has shown some great pass-rush ability when asked to play that role, and can cover and hit as well. And at 6-4, 250 he's got the size to play inside in the 3-4 or 4-3.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors provides the basis for these arguments, however, infringement on their copyrights probably forbid me quoting word for word, so I've paraphrased (in italics). </snip>

All of these players are RFA's next year and will most likely cost a draft pick at least.

Kampmann would be an awesome DE but he's being cut due to the fact that he hasn't been a good fit as a 3-4 OLB.

McGahee has low mileage on his legs but he's 28 already.

The more Bush does in the post season, the more his value goes up as a RFA. No thanks.

The only player i'd blow a draft pick on would be a young OL that fits the ZBS.

I was really intrigued by this until Snyders name came up. He doesn't call the shots anymore, or so he says, so I really could'nt give a damn about what Snyder would be salivating over, PERIOD. His signings have already caused me enough grief, not to mention the fact that all these guys have serious question marks, and none of them are worth giving up a draft pick for IMO. And by the way, one good game by Bush against a swiss cheese defense will not cause me to forget about his lackluster performance as an RB these last few years, and the fact that he sucks at pass protection

Merriman would be fantastic, assuming we pay him what he's worth now, and not what he would have been worth in 2006.

While he'll never be the premiere pass rusher he used to be back before his drug scandal, he'll still make a more than serviceable OLB, and if we really are going to the 3-4, than his experience will be priceless.

Add to the fact that he is a local lad, and he grew up a Skins fan, the move only makes sense. But again, only at the right price.

I would say absolutely no to Bush. He's an overrated, ****y underachiever.

Let him sign a nice sized contract somewhere else. He's the ARE of RB.

Did you just stop reading at Reggie Bush and post that?

Because if you look up a little above you, you'd understand why Bush is a very valuable player, in his own right.

He'll never be a premiere RB in the league, and anyone that expected him to be is foolish. Use him just like the way Percy Harvin, Devin Hester, and Josh Cribbs are used. He's a playmaker, not a positional player.

The only downside of a player like Reggie Bush is you can't build around him, he's a specialty player. Now, there isn't anything wrong with that, but you can't invest a ton of money in that kind of player. At a certain price, he's very useful.

Ideally we keep Portis for one more year, get him to keep his mouth shut, and draft a younger back to caddy for him....but if not and he could come cheap, (acquisition + salary), I take Willis McGahee in a heartbeat.

All-around RB, who can catch and block, whose style goes well in a Shanahan offense + a good attitude - never complained about playing second fiddle to Ray Rice. He's also had less wear and tear on him than other backs his age.

Would also kick the tires on Merriman, but he scares me a lot - drop in production the last few years, knee surgery, Tila Tequila tweets, the steroid thing....we DON'T need another Sideshow Bob.

Don't think Bush is going anywhere.

We don't need Kampman. LT is finished.

Wasn't there also a rumor about Chris Kuper (G, Denver) coming here?

Archived