Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tomilson, Bush, McGahee, Merriman, Kampman......targets?(Merged)

Looking For Number Four

If Miami is gonna release Joey Porter than why not look at him? He is a beast who plays with great intensity. Haynesworth, Orapko, Carter, Porter would be our version of the Steel freakin Curtain! Plus, I think Porter would love playing in the NFC East against the Eagles, Giants and most of all, the Cowturds. I'm for going after Porter and Reggie Bush.

Kampman would be a good addition to help us move to the 3-4. He has the size and would allow Carter to move to OLB more often.

Kampman has been terrible in the Packers 3-4 this year. No way is he going to a team that has any intentions of running a 3-4. He excels most as a prototypical 4-3 DE.

Merriman without steroids is pretty average.

Tomlinson is going to retire.

McGahee is pretty much past his prime.

And we need a QB, OTs, and a real RB before we get a slashing guy like Bush in FA.

Agreed, except McGahee was never good anyways. We need OL first, then we can see what we can do with soemthing that resembles a NFL offensive line.

We don't need any more players past their primes. And that includes most if not all the players on that list.

Younger and faster for 2010.

The only positions on the team I would be looking to fill with veterans, even those around 30, would be OL and cornerback if Rogers departs.

Off the juice and after the knee injury, Merriman is a shell of his former self and not worth the contract he's looking for.

Kampman is 30 and coming off a major injury himself.

LT is finished. The toe injury has destroyed his quickness and agility.

McGahee could work in a RBBC setup, but will demand too much $.

Reggie Bush is a better guy to work into RBBC, but will demand even more than McGahee.

I vote NO on all choices.

I know a lot has already been said here and I didn't read thru the entire thread but I'd really rather see the Redskins build through the draft and acquire only very young FAs. I'm not looking to reward any more players who have already achieved their best and just want to retire rich.

Kampman has been terrible in the Packers 3-4 this year. No way is he going to a team that has any intentions of running a 3-4. He excels most as a prototypical 4-3 DE.

I agree, more importantly our options right now are Daniels (36), Wynn (35), or the trio of who knows: Jarmon (injured rookie year), Alexander (24 tackles, 1 FF), and Rob Jackson (7th rounder). Carter is so small, 253 lbs., but is racking up sacks so.... Not sure if he could transition, will have to if we move to 3-4, but should theoretically become more of a pass rush threat at LB. Nevertheless, if Kampman is healthy and we stick to 4-3 he would be the guy to stick in there while we wait for Jarmon/whoever.

Reggie Bush is not going to be cheap, but he adds the speed back, punt/kick returner, and pass catching RB we do not have on this roster. The alternative would be Spiller, if we go drafting all o-line and don't get spiller I think Bush makes the logical choice. Nevertheless, he is going to SEA if he does not stay in NO. They have the richest owner (Allen) his former coach (Carroll) and the largest needs at RB, not to mention the guy is 24 and could be their franchise RB. I would love to have someone with his speed, soft hands, and youth on this team though.

What about O' niel from the chargers ot? Remember the chargers can only sign so many people.

They can sign all of their own players, if any of their players are signed by another team that can sign someone of equal of lesser value to replace the lost player.

Tomilson will most likely be shipped somewhere else, giving them the ability to sign at least one player beyond their own roster, Merriman is also likely to add to the amount of players they can sign.

I agree with your though process though, somewhere there is going to be some o-line help available via Free Agency. Which would help profoundly if we were to go QB in the 1st, as well as, loose Thomas and Samuels.

Nonetheless, Reggie would add pass catcher, punt/kick returner, and possibly RB of the future (24). This would become especially important if Shanahan does not like or Portis or his price tage/durability call in to question his remaining tenure here.

I agree with your though process though, somewhere there is going to be some o-line help available via Free Agency. Which would help profoundly if we were to go QB in the 1st, as well as, loose Thomas and Samuels.

The chances of a team cutting a starting caliber OL that fits our needs and scheme is exceedingly small. The 31 other teams will not be letting go of starting caliber talent without compensation, when they could very well get draft picks if they are RFA's.

The majority of OL out there on the UFA market will be either older (28 years old+), depth, no longer starters, or in rare occasions young players that had their contracts voided due to playing time escalators or players that signed 1 year deals last year.

FA this year will be an eye opener to many people, especially those that either didn't watch football before 1995 or don't remember it.

FA this year will be an eye opener to many people, especially those that either didn't watch football before 1995 or don't remember it.

So, you think that Shanahan will be able to find any O linemen, who are on other rosters that don't fit there, but will here, like he did while in Denver?

Or that no other teams, except ours, will be cutting large contracts, because of money outweighing performance?

Reggie Bush a Redskin... hmm

If he leaves NO, no way he pulls anywhere near $8mil/year again. Imagine if we could get him for around $5mil/year. That's less than Portis makes for someone who the Shannys could surely utilize in a lot of ways, is easily one of the best return men in the league, and is only 24.

We all know he's not your classic "every down back" but we could look to the draft or FA to find a more power-style back to compliment him-- I'm all for RB by duo or committee.

So, you think that Shanahan will be able to find any O linemen, who are on other rosters that don't fit there, but will here, like he did while in Denver?

Or that no other teams, except ours, will be cutting large contracts, because of money outweighing performance?

Didn't say that. What I've said before and will repeat here is this:

There are certain positions that, when there is no cba such as pre 1996, teams hold onto because they know that they cannot recoup them in the FA market. Those are QB, OL and DL.

The players that will be cut, and especially the OL. are going to be over the hill, no longer starting caliber or in the rare occasion a starter that has a huge contract that will be cut.

Saying that, you can imagine teams doing their best to restructure a player like thats contract in order to keep him. If that fails he becomes trade bait. Only after that fails would he be cut. And then theres the chance that he gets resigned or taken by 30 other teams not named Redskins.

As for old Denver OL, we picked one up already but the majority of them are either quite old, and no longer really an option as starters but mainly as depth and mentors to our OL. Denver, just like every other team, won't be cutting starters on the OL simply because they can. There's usually a reason why an OL would be cut.

Archived